The Audio Lounge
Nov 12, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #4,681 of 36,069
Well, the HiFiMAN HE-560 arrived a couple of hours ago, and I'm at a crossroads. I'm a basshead at heart, and my M1060 allow me to enjoy an open planar with some real grunt down low, and I was hoping for the same from the HE-560. Unfortunately, while the lows are definitely present in the HiFiMANs, it can't handle my level of bass, lol. The mids are amazing, maybe the best I've ever heard in a headphone, and the highs are crisp and fresh. But the basshead in me just isn't satisfied. Now to the crossroads, do I keep them because they are mint and I got a great deal? Or do I let great headphones go because they don't hit my basshead sweet tooth?
Pass along the great deal to a fellow head-fier :floatsmile:

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #4,682 of 36,069
Generally, I find a phone to be good enough for my needs when out and about. The convenience of not needing to carry around 2 devices outweighs the increase in audio fidelity of having the standalone DAP.....theoretically speaking :p. I'm currently still running around with a phone and an iPod Touch 5g cuz my phone won't play .m4a and I'm NOT going through the hassle of converting all my .m4a files.

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #4,683 of 36,069
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #4,685 of 36,069
Generally, I find a phone to be good enough for my needs when out and about. The convenience of not needing to carry around 2 devices outweighs the increase in audio fidelity of having the standalone DAP.....theoretically speaking :p. I'm currently still running around with a phone and an iPod Touch 5g cuz my phone won't play .m4a and I'm NOT going through the hassle of converting all my .m4a files.

Oh, my friend, today is a lucky day for you. Your phone does indeed play .m4a, you just didn't know it yet. Regardless of what OS you have. Go HERE, Merry Christmas early, lol.

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #4,686 of 36,069
I prefer to use a dap for listening on the go as my phone annoys the heck out of me with the notifications, music muting and slowly coming back mid song is horrible

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #4,687 of 36,069
I prefer to use a dap for listening on the go as my phone annoys the heck out of me with the notifications, music muting and slowly coming back mid song is horrible
yeah that's one of the reasons for me too.

Also I get text messages a lot from friends and coworkers, and hearing that buzzing sound is ANNOYING. or have a huge dropdown list show up of how many people sent me texts when I just want to change songs.

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #4,689 of 36,069
I have little problem I'd like to share. I can't seem to get the 64 U8s out of my ears. Other IEMs are being neglected and I am beginning to hate to talk with people as they interrupt the flow of music. I am in sales so that's a problem. Family members have mentioned this too, I think, as I can't hear them...intervention may be getting nearer...

Sounds like you are firmly on your way to becoming an engineer or developer. That's ok. Fewer people will bother you if you are an engineer. But you will have less money than a good salesman. And that is OK too. Because you don't need to buy more toys. So keep enjoying the 64 U8s. You, too, can be a Morlock like me.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #4,691 of 36,069
When I haven't heard it in a while, I seem to forget how well mastered the Hell Freezes Over version of "Hotel California" is. Then I hit shuffle and it pops up and I'm lost in it. So good.
it is amazing. Have it in 24/192 WAV on the Pono Player. Hooked to the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 in balanced mode the sound is phenomenal. If all recordings sounded this good, I would get nothing done.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4,692 of 36,069
it is amazing. Have it in 24/192 WAV on the Pono Player. Hooked to the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 in balanced mode the sound is phenomenal. If all recordings sounded this good, I would get nothing done.

Exactly! It's one of those recordings that you get transported by.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #4,693 of 36,069
I took my money from selling off the HE-560 and decided I'd be better off getting a better desktop amp for my M1060's than I would looking for another headphone right now. So, I ordered up one of these beauties: The Garage1217 Project Polaris in aluminum. :L3000:

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #4,694 of 36,069
I took my money from selling off the HE-560 and decided I'd be better off getting a better desktop amp for my M1060's than I would looking for another headphone right now. So, I ordered up one of these beauties: The Garage1217 Project Polaris in aluminum. :L3000:
looks cool. Hadn't heard of this company. Please let us know what you think after a listening session. Thanks.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4,695 of 36,069
looks cool. Hadn't heard of this company. Please let us know what you think after a listening session. Thanks.

Will do. Curiosity got the best of me. I really wanted to hear a small amp with 2.4W a channel @64ohm, a super quiet floor, and bandwidth adjustment. All for just under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back