The Audio Lounge
Mar 8, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #5,731 of 36,093
Check out the Hi-Fi Status(LG) app in the Play Store. It costs a little, but adds a widget in the notification bar and some toast messages to let you know which one of the three gain modes the V30 is in at any point.

1.19$ isn't that bad, especially considering I still have 12$ in credit due to Google Rewards :D haha. Thanks for the head's up

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #5,733 of 36,093
For you guys who have been sharing the planar magnetic love recently, got my hands on a pair of Mr Speakers Aeon Closed this week in a trade deal for my U8s. They need a small nuclear power plant to drive properly (not just loud), but when you do, damn that's a sweet sound. :wink:

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #5,734 of 36,093
For you guys who have been sharing the planar magnetic love recently, got my hands on a pair of Mr Speakers Aeon Closed this week in a trade deal for my U8s. They need a small nuclear power plant to drive properly (not just loud), but when you do, damn that's a sweet sound. :wink:
Does Martin's amp drive them proeprly? I only ask because these are on my short list of closed phones and I have a Liquid Carbon to drive them and want to be certain I can drive them properly before I take the plunge.

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #5,735 of 36,093
Does Martin's amp drive them proeprly? I only ask because these are on my short list of closed phones and I have a Liquid Carbon to drive them and want to be certain I can drive them properly before I take the plunge.

I'm using the ALO Continental V5, and that gets them fully singing.

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #5,736 of 36,093
I really think LG missed great opportunities to provide an advanced audio settings section for power users. Imagine being able to select 4 gain steps directly in the interface without having to auto detect it with your audio source?

I totally agree with you that they should be unlocking this as a feature for advanced audio folks. However I don't know if it's a lack of polish at this point. They've had this 3 stage gain amp for 3 iterations of the phone now. If this was something they wanted to do, they would probably have done it by now.

My guess is that since 95% of the headphone wearing public has no idea what an amp is, let alone gain, they've decided that feature was less important than avoiding someone blowing up their headphones or possibly even doing permanent physical damage to themselves.

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,737 of 36,093
I totally agree with you that they should be unlocking this as a feature for advanced audio folks. However I don't know if it's a lack of polish at this point. They've had this 3 stage gain amp for 3 iterations of the phone now. If this was something they wanted to do, they would probably have done it by now.

My guess is that since 95% of the headphone wearing public has no idea what an amp is, let alone gain, they've decided that feature was less important than avoiding someone blowing up their headphones or possibly even doing permanent physical damage to themselves.

If they had a secret menu or a special app that took care of those settings, they could keep the phone as is. So I stick with lack of vision. :wink:

Has anyone tried the razor phone's DAC/dongle? Sells on amazon for 20 bucks... Makes me curious what capacities that dac has.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #5,738 of 36,093
That's awesome. I am very jelly. I traded out my Jupiter and only have the Lyra v1 from Campfire. I'm about 2/3 the way to the Andromeda. Can't wait to get this piece in my collection. The 64 U8 has been holding me as that's a great piece too.

I've actually been exploring my headphones lately. Have my Ethers on now and switch between the Meze 99 Classics and NightOwls...

Glad to hear the Vega is that engaging right out of the box. Ken knows his stuff...
Cheers to you.

I absolutely adore my Meze 99 Classics! Currently saving up for the Massdrop x Focal Elex, but I'm also thinking that the Elear might fit my sound signature more. They are going for good prices used...

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #5,739 of 36,093
Funny you mentioned the Meze Classics 99, they are on my head as I write this. Great piece for the price. Another unit the delivers way above its price point.
I have not heard the Focal units but, from those I have talked with and the things I have read, they are some really great pieces.

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #5,740 of 36,093
Just bought some hifiman re400 iems for work , since owning the flarespro I'm appreciating the single driver in my ears rather than multidriver.
The flarespro were the first single drivers i had worn in a while and my small ears are loving the less bulk and also not being around the ear , used to own some very comfortable klipsch ( severely lacking lows) and makes me consider the etymotic although I have heard not much bass on the etymotic.
The hifiman have questionable build but I only paid £40 and a couple of places I read buyers have bought more than one pair because build might fail but they love the sound, anyway can't wait to give them a try.
Did consider the flares jet but with jackpots post about bass there probably not for me.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #5,741 of 36,093
Got mine this week as well

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #5,742 of 36,093
Funny you mentioned the Meze Classics 99, they are on my head as I write this. Great piece for the price. Another unit the delivers way above its price point.
I have not heard the Focal units but, from those I have talked with and the things I have read, they are some really great pieces.
Which prices specifically though? I listened to the Elear when it first came out and while it did sound good, I wouldn't pay $1k for them. Heck, $700 might be a stretch, maybe more like $500-550. Solely because I have the HD600s :p. The Elears sound good, better than the Utopia IMO, but for so much more than the HD600 and being built not quite as well, I dunno about that price. Then again, I've felt for a while now that those upper echelon headphones aren't for me considering how expensive they are for their advantages over what I currently have. Are they better? Yes. Are they 3x-4x the price better? Nope. I've gradually gotten to the point where the stuff that costs $800-1000+ is just going to not be something I'll ever get, though I will absolutely try them out given the chance :D

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #5,743 of 36,093
The only things I had heard about were the Utopia and Elears. I have never tried them. I agree with the pricing. Way too rich for me. I am looking at a big purchase and need to save every penny over a long time to get it. While I appreciate those who can drop that kind of coinage, I am not one of them. Past $500-700 is really where the law of diminishing returns kick-in, imho.

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #5,744 of 36,093
Which prices specifically though? I listened to the Elear when it first came out and while it did sound good, I wouldn't pay $1k for them. Heck, $700 might be a stretch, maybe more like $500-550. Solely because I have the HD600s :p. The Elears sound good, better than the Utopia IMO, but for so much more than the HD600 and being built not quite as well, I dunno about that price. Then again, I've felt for a while now that those upper echelon headphones aren't for me considering how expensive they are for their advantages over what I currently have. Are they better? Yes. Are they 3x-4x the price better? Nope. I've gradually gotten to the point where the stuff that costs $800-1000+ is just going to not be something I'll ever get, though I will absolutely try them out given the chance :D

You don't think the Elear and Utopia are built better than the HD600? My HD6XX was almost 100% plastic, the same as the $20 Monoprice DJ Headphones I bought for my five-year old.

The only things I had heard about were the Utopia and Elears. I have never tried them. I agree with the pricing. Way too rich for me. I am looking at a big purchase and need to save every penny over a long time to get it. While I appreciate those who can drop that kind of coinage, I am not one of them. Past $500-700 is really where the law of diminishing returns kick-in, imho.

As for price and value, I agree with you both. I paid around $270 for my Meze 99 Classics. However, when I auditioned the Elears, they immediately felt and sounded better in all aspects, but not for more than 3x the price. That's why I'm really hoping the Masdrop x Focal Elex for $700 will be everything I expect them to be. If not, I'm convinced I won't lose a penny selling them on and be content with the Mezes being the flagship in my headphone lineup.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #5,745 of 36,093
I think the trouble with audio equipment is the knowledge to obtain a great sound is already there and has been for for a while now. To improve on that you have to find new technologies and materials to try and get a better sound quality. Also build quality comes into play, using exotic hardwoods, hard to work metals like titanium and carbon fibre. How much would the Utopia cost if Focal had used aluminium instead.
Take a look at how the Fostex TH900MKII are made-

Personally I like to see great craftsmanship in a product and think it shows how much the maker cares for his products.
Unfortunately in this hobby, if something costs 5 times as much it may only be twice as good and maybe not even that!!
I’ve recently bought the CA Vega, that cost £930.00 (and a bottle of nice whiskey for a friend to pop them in his suitcase and bring em back from the states :wink:) do I regret spending that much, nope not at all. I’m listening to them now, brilliant. Even these are made from relatively new technology, liquid metal alloy apparently, whatever that is. I think it’s like injection moulding but with metal, sounds expensive and probably is. Don’t know if it makes em sound any better but when you hold them in your hand you know you are holding something that has been extremely well made. One thing I do know is these little Vega’s are putting a great big grin on my face :ksc75smile:
5685DFFE-C2CF-46C9-AB3B-8DCE4BFB066B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back