The Audio Lounge
Jan 21, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #5,236 of 36,032
Just by way of a diversion, I remember at London CanJam last year I listened to an entry(ish) level DAC/Amp combo from Schiit.
The units were very compact - desktop, but transportable for extended holidays or whatever.
Don't recall seeing them mentioned on this thread much, but I listened to (if I recall correctly) a Magni DAC - possibly the multibit one - and a Vali tube amp.
Total price of the stack came to about £400. Plugged my IEM's in using an adaptor, and was HUGELY impressed by the sound.

I mention it because it's been 6 months or so now, and I still think about that set up frequently.
It was as good (to me) as any of the £3'000 DAP's I heard there.
Anybody else heard that particular set up (or another Schiit one of similar price)?
I have a lot of time for that company and their good attitude, it just occurred to me I never really saw them mentioned here much.
Although that might be due to the 'official' thread title of the IEM Lounge lol.
Just wondered what you all thought about them? :)

I just recently sold my Modi 2 Uber DAC/Vali 2 combo. I really enjoyed my time with it as my work setup. The only thing I can say bad about it is that I feel the Vali 2 needed more power. I would still have it if I hadn't moved my iDSD Micro over to be my work DAC/Amp after buying my Project Polaris/Topping D30 combo for home. If you're looking at buying a Schiit stack, the new Magni 3 amp for $99 is a ridiculous deal for that much juice, 3W per channel into 16ohm and 2W per channel into 32ohm.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #5,237 of 36,032
Yeah, that's a rabbit hole that I can NOT revisit. I am looking to do plug and play. Just a swap out of the factory paper cones for something better. The factory ones seemed to have given up their ghost. I have been in the car audio competition scene many years ago and while it was fun, it proved to be way more expensive than I could have imagined. Just trying to get some good tunes while I commute. Maybe add a small 4-channel amp to overcome the HU eq-tuning settings.

Gotcha.

I'm running morels right now. Love the house sound. Darker sound Sig.

PhD, italian brand. Great mids but a little bright for my taste. Let me know if you want to try. The component set is just sitting in my garage

Heard Hertz on a board in a shop, liked them alot too.

I also ran home audio drivers too.
SB Acoustic is a very good option at a grwat price. scan speak and dayton I heard are good too but never ran them.

Kappas, are to brifht for my taste.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #5,238 of 36,032
0121181033.jpg

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #5,240 of 36,032
Well, love the look of the IMR. I too have never been a fan of the swappable filters but like the idea of customization. I really want the Andromeda so must ignore all others for a while. The Ibasso IT04 is due out soon, maybe. So there's that.

So as the rabbit hole goes, that stupid car audio gnat has been buzzing in my ears. Wife caught me mapping a car system on paper and gave me major stink-eye.

I don't need anything except these new speakers. I don't need anything except these new speakers and an amp. I don't need anything except these new speakers, that new amp and and parametric eq.....

Hope the rabbits have some room down there.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #5,241 of 36,032
Gotcha.

I'm running morels right now. Love the house sound. Darker sound Sig.

PhD, italian brand. Great mids but a little bright for my taste. Let me know if you want to try. The component set is just sitting in my garage

Heard Hertz on a board in a shop, liked them alot too.

I also ran home audio drivers too.
SB Acoustic is a very good option at a grwat price. scan speak and dayton I heard are good too but never ran them.

Kappas, are to brifht for my taste.

Hey thanks for offer. I need to do some more research first and talk some local guys around here to see what is good for the car. Was getting away from components as I don't want to drill into the door panel and the dash is already set-up for a high range unit...I may come back to you. Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #5,242 of 36,032
I was so very close to ordering a pair of iSine20 on the first days of January... I read, and read and read about it. Then watched some videos. Then read again.

There seem to be some "hate it or love it" feelings about them, but I mostly read they benefited from the lightning DAC, while I almost never listen through my phone. On top of that, the previous iteration of the iSine lineup look so much better than the LX IMO.

To get rid of that spending itch, I got an IMR-R1 and do not regret any single second about it :wink:

Maybe the safest bet would be to wait for reviews of the iSine LX to come in
So to get rid of the spending itch, you spent money on something that costs nearly just as much. At least you don't regret it! For some reason, I'm getting the feeling that our support group isn't doing a very good job of being a support group. Wonder why? :p

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #5,243 of 36,032
Just by way of a diversion, I remember at London CanJam last year I listened to an entry(ish) level DAC/Amp combo from Schiit.
The units were very compact - desktop, but transportable for extended holidays or whatever.
Don't recall seeing them mentioned on this thread much, but I listened to (if I recall correctly) a Magni DAC - possibly the multibit one - and a Vali tube amp.
Total price of the stack came to about £400. Plugged my IEM's in using an adaptor, and was HUGELY impressed by the sound.

I mention it because it's been 6 months or so now, and I still think about that set up frequently.
It was as good (to me) as any of the £3'000 DAP's I heard there.
Anybody else heard that particular set up (or another Schiit one of similar price)?
I have a lot of time for that company and their good attitude, it just occurred to me I never really saw them mentioned here much.
Although that might be due to the 'official' thread title of the IEM Lounge lol.
Just wondered what you all thought about them? :)

I had the v1 of the Magni, Modi and Vali back when. For the money, they were great. I wanted to go up the chain and sold them and got the Lyr 2 and Bimby. The newer Magni 3 is a great value. Pushes some serious output for cheap money. You'd be hard pressed to get a better value. I think the new Modi is also pushing up against the Bimby, great value for what it can offer. I love Schiit stuff.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #5,244 of 36,032
So to get rid of the spending itch, you spent money on something that costs nearly just as much. At least you don't regret it! For some reason, I'm getting the feeling that our support group isn't doing a very good job of being a support group. Wonder why? :p

Well, having an itch was not the main reason in ordering the R1, but you’re right: this group is not very supportive in preventing one’s expenses :wink:

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #5,245 of 36,032
Don't look at me, I never professed to be anything but an enabler...

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #5,246 of 36,032
I reckon I'm doing well in not spending on any new gear thus far...

But I've fell into another rabbit hole, pedals...

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #5,247 of 36,032
Don't look at me, I never professed to be anything but an enabler...

Lol, that is exactly what I said. I'm in the enabler category. No one should even try to use me as a sponsor, it would be a train wreck. :train2:

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #5,250 of 36,032
Yeap, bass pedals to be more specific.
I know the feeling, went to buy a Boss loop pedal for my son, you know, something basic, not too expensive and about £100-150.00 Well, I came home with a Boss RC 300 !!! Managed to get a £120 discount because it had been returned unopened.
As for New Years resolution, didn’t bother, Vega next :L3000:
So when you think you have too many pedals for that lovely bass guitar, you know what to do.... buy one of those fancy flight cases they can be permanently housed in and then buy some more :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back