The Audio Lounge
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #35,461 of 36,155
PXL_20240302_181751929.MP~2 (1).jpg

We've got exclusive photos of the world's first desktop PCs - saved from the dumpster, 52-year old Q1 PC features Intel's first 8-bit CPU and a retropunk design
1709406699455.png

5 Microsoft Edge settings to change for more secure browsing than Chrome offers
1709406782476.png

1709406818524.png

1709406887136.png

1709406919802.png

1709406975319.png

1709407031145.png

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #35,462 of 36,155
*** Turns out that March is the month for change ***
On yesterday, I received, and am going to accept, an Engineering Tech job offer with Sanmina Corp. in Carrollton, TX (Dallas/Fort Worth area).
I've found a nice apartment, with an attached garage, that's about 3 miles from the new job location.
Now, I'm in the midst of packing all the accumulated "stuff" from the 20 years I've lived in Houston, so I can move back up to the DFW area. For example, when I moved down here in 2003, I had 1 PC, and 4 various Amiga systems. The Amiga systems were donated to a local Amiga User Group in 2006 or 2008. Since then, I've accumulated 3 additional Tower PC chassis (only 1 is currently being used, as my Main-PC), a Mini-Tower chassis, a color laser printer, and 2 laptops - as well as a bunch of audio/video gear (see my Equipment List).
Have to get everything packed, and a moving company line up, all within the next couple of weeks.
What "fun"!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #35,463 of 36,155
On yesterday, I received, and am going to accept, an Engineering Tech job offer with Sanmina Corp. in Carrollton, TX (Dallas/Fort Worth area).
I've found a nice apartment, with an attached garage, that's about 3 miles from the new job location.
Now, I'm in the midst of packing all the accumulated "stuff" from the 20 years I've lived in Houston, so I can move back up to the DFW area. For example, when I moved down here in 2003, I had 1 PC, and 4 various Amiga systems. The Amiga systems were donated to a local Amiga User Group in 2006 or 2008. Since then, I've accumulated 3 additional Tower PC chassis (only 1 is currently being used, as my Main-PC), a Mini-Tower chassis, a color laser printer, and 2 laptops - as well as a bunch of audio/video gear (see my Equipment List).
Have to get everything packed, and a moving company line up, all within the next couple of weeks.
What "fun"!

Attachments

• 162b41786d99b9d7e7b03549c4e19ae2_w200-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
    162b41786d99b9d7e7b03549c4e19ae2_w200-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #35,464 of 36,155
What "fun"!

Congrats on the new job bro. As far as the moving goes, I don't envy you, lol. Moving 10 years of build up does not sound fun.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #35,465 of 36,155
What "fun"!
Congrats! I think you're on point about March being the month for change. I have a second interview with a military contractor for a new position. I meet with the them Thursday. We'll see if things happen with them.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #35,466 of 36,155
Congrats on the new job bro. As far as the moving goes, I don't envy you, lol. Moving 10 years of build up does not sound fun.

Thanks!
I moved to Houston with a bunch of books (now I have more), a bunch of CDs (now I have a lot more), a bunch of VCR tapes (now I have more - and a lot of DVDs & Blu-ray discs). My VCR is currently broken (will probably need to replace some capacitors), and the old CRT TV I had, died and went to the recycle center. It's been replaced by a much lighter weight LCD HD TV.
When I moved here, I had two bedrooms of furniture (beds & dressers), but after my parents passed away, I donated the 2nd bedroom furniture, and an old desk, to Goodwill.
I now have a 2nd La-Z-Boy Recliner (ordered the new one during COVID), and have been working on repairing the original 1999 one. In order to replace the compressed foam in the top of the armrests, this model requires taking all of the upholstery off the base frame - which is a nuisance, and I haven't done it yet. They're both the same model, but I think I actually prefer the fabric that was available on the older one.
One substantial thing I have now, and a main consideration in looking for an apartment with a garage, is the original wheels & tires that were on my 2020 Subaru Forester. I kept them when I bought larger wheels and wider tires (they have the same overall diameter as stock), and I may put one in the car as the spare. Will have to see if the shallow enclosure for the Infinity Sub-woofer will still fit with a full size tire under the floor in the luggage compartment.

Congrats! I think you're on point about March being the month for change. I have a second interview with a military contractor for a new position. I meet with the them Thursday. We'll see if things happen with them.

Thanks - and Congratulations to you, as well. Will you need to relocate for this new job opportunity?
Living in Houston has been OK, and the job has been fairly interesting - but as I've gotten older (I'm past 60), I don't like having to route cables above the drop ceiling tiles, or under the raised floors in the labs (we did a lot of that during COVID, while connecting most all of the lab systems for Remote Access - so the Software Testers didn't have to come into the labs to run their tests).
I'm looking forward to working again as an Engineering Lab Technician, without having shift-work, or on-call weeks. The Engineers work flexible hours, to avoid the worst of the rush hour traffic in Carrollton. Since I'll be living ~3 miles from work, my commute should be less than 10 minutes. The only thing that concerns me a bit, is that there's a railroad track about a block from the apartment - so I'm hoping there aren't a number of trains going through there at night. The leasing agent I talked to said that he lives there on-site, and that the track is rarely used - but that could change.
Also - moving back to the DFW area means I don't have to run from hurricanes, and my family in Arkansas & Mississippi is closer (1 - 2 hour less drive time).

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #35,467 of 36,155
1709483199722.png

1709491380501.png

1709491482952.png

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #35,468 of 36,155
Thanks!
I moved to Houston with a bunch of books (now I have more), a bunch of CDs (now I have a lot more), a bunch of VCR tapes (now I have more - and a lot of DVDs & Blu-ray discs). My VCR is currently broken (will probably need to replace some capacitors), and the old CRT TV I had, died and went to the recycle center. It's been replaced by a much lighter weight LCD HD TV.
When I moved here, I had two bedrooms of furniture (beds & dressers), but after my parents passed away, I donated the 2nd bedroom furniture, and an old desk, to Goodwill.
I now have a 2nd La-Z-Boy Recliner (ordered the new one during COVID), and have been working on repairing the original 1999 one. In order to replace the compressed foam in the top of the armrests, this model requires taking all of the upholstery off the base frame - which is a nuisance, and I haven't done it yet. They're both the same model, but I think I actually prefer the fabric that was available on the older one.
One substantial thing I have now, and a main consideration in looking for an apartment with a garage, is the original wheels & tires that were on my 2020 Subaru Forester. I kept them when I bought larger wheels and wider tires (they have the same overall diameter as stock), and I may put one in the car as the spare. Will have to see if the shallow enclosure for the Infinity Sub-woofer will still fit with a full size tire under the floor in the luggage compartment.

Thanks - and Congratulations to you, as well. Will you need to relocate for this new job opportunity?
Living in Houston has been OK, and the job has been fairly interesting - but as I've gotten older (I'm past 60), I don't like having to route cables above the drop ceiling tiles, or under the raised floors in the labs (we did a lot of that during COVID, while connecting most all of the lab systems for Remote Access - so the Software Testers didn't have to come into the labs to run their tests).
I'm looking forward to working again as an Engineering Lab Technician, without having shift-work, or on-call weeks. The Engineers work flexible hours, to avoid the worst of the rush hour traffic in Carrollton. Since I'll be living ~3 miles from work, my commute should be less than 10 minutes. The only thing that concerns me a bit, is that there's a railroad track about a block from the apartment - so I'm hoping there aren't a number of trains going through there at night. The leasing agent I talked to said that he lives there on-site, and that the track is rarely used - but that could change.
Also - moving back to the DFW area means I don't have to run from hurricanes, and my family in Arkansas & Mississippi is closer (1 - 2 hour less drive time).
Thank you. No, fortunately I won't have to relocate. They are part of the university here. Only about 1 mile away from my current home.

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #35,469 of 36,155
How about "The Coconuts" :grin:

Of course my favorite version of this song title:wink:

Oh yeah, coconut song:rolling_eyes:

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #35,470 of 36,155
I'm inspired and since the boss cut me loose early I can go hit my watering hole in the Butlers Pantry early:beerchug: :v:

Weekend watering hole.jpg

Scotch? Don’t get me going about my scotch collection. As obscene as memorabilia, audio, music collection. Although I’m pairing down slowly. Just finished my 1929 tesseron congac and a 23 yr longmorin, took a decade, but delish elixers to the last drop.
@Whazzzup and @Podster What are you favorite drinks? Mixed, neat, on the rocks?

My favorites are:

1) New York Sour. There's a martini bar here that does the best I've had. Too bad it's an hour away.
2) Whiskey Sour
3) Neak Whiskey, Burbon, Scotch
4) Wine
5) Painkiller or another tropical drink

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #35,471 of 36,155
cosmo
old fashion after dinner

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #35,473 of 36,155
Cuba Libre made with Myers Dark and Original Coke or Ausbach Uralt and Original Coke for mixed.

1709654393590.png

1709654478866.png

When Stationed in Germany and after a day of Foosball (Soccer) the team would head to a fave Gasthaus where we consumed a lot of beer and Brats etc. then the pitchers of pre-mixed Asbach and Coke would hit the table followed closed by players hitting the table if not the floor!

As for neat I prefer Angel's Envy Rye Whiskey :wink:

1709654893462.png

On the Rocks:v:

1709655024414.png

In honor of Grouch's Utensils post :thumbsup: May have come up a few times while I was doing corner monitoring:rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #35,474 of 36,155

Attachments

• Document1m_001.jpg
    Document1m_001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #35,475 of 36,155
Cuba Libre made with Myers Dark and Original Coke or Ausbach Uralt and Original Coke for mixed.

When Stationed in Germany and after a day of Foosball (Soccer) the team would head to a fave Gasthaus where we consumed a lot of beer and Brats etc. then the pitchers of pre-mixed Asbach and Coke would hit the table followed closed by players hitting the table if not the floor!

As for neat I prefer Angel's Envy Rye Whiskey :wink:

On the Rocks:v:

In honor of Grouch's Utensils post :thumbsup: May have come up a few times while I was doing corner monitoring:rolling_eyes:

Very nice. All of these look delicious. I've not had any of them but Maker's Mark 46; Great whiskey.

Rye whiskey hasn't been very popular neat, but I'm seeing a lot more people drinking it now. I've tried one brand and it was ok. I have a to try that brand. It's always a pain to get alcohol in Utah. Not sure the state carries it at the liquor store.

Rum and Coke are pretty tasty. I like whiskey and coke too. I want to try the dark rum version. I think I have some Kirk and Sweeney's dark rum to try it with. Only Coke zero though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back