The Audio Lounge
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #33,256 of 36,163
I started buying records in the '70s, and then accelerated my buying in the '80s, after I got a nice AR Turntable.
But, then I got a CD player in the late-80s, and have been buying CDs since then.
I still have the AR Turntable (and several hundred albums), but haven't had it set up to listen to them, since the early '90s.
I had to look up the turntable I bought. I remember it being a real pain to setup. It had a suspended weight on a piece of fishing wire that kept falling off, no matter what I did. It was the Pro Ject RPM 1.3 Genie. I think that was my issue. That weight drove me to drink a lot of Whiskey...... :ksc75smile:

1685735454292.png

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #33,257 of 36,163
That weight drove me to drink a lot of Whiskey...... :ksc75smile:

Wasn’t that in an older Lounge post? There’s no problem whiskey couldn’t solve?

I enjoyed my vinyl journey for over twenty years. Donated my albums a few years back and went all digital. Took a while though to get to a system where I don’t miss the allure of the groove anymore.

‘High Fidelity’ is a great movie...

IMG_0189.jpeg

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #33,258 of 36,163
I had to look up the turntable I bought. I remember it being a real pain to setup. It had a suspended weight on a piece of fishing wire that kept falling off, no matter what I did. It was the Pro Ject RPM 1.3 Genie. I think that was my issue. That weight drove me to drink a lot of Whiskey...... :ksc75smile:

1685735454292.png
My Pro-ject Carbon Debut has the same pissant weight. I have to be careful which cartridges I use so that anti-skating is at an acceptable level. Made me so mad I bought a Fluance RT85 to get away from this. P-mount presto-change-o, and no dangling weight. I want life to be simpler as I get older, including groove tracking.

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #33,259 of 36,163
My Pro-ject Carbon Debut has the same pissant weight. I have to be careful which cartridges I use so that anti-skating is at an acceptable level. Made me so mad I bought a Fluance RT85 to get away from this. P-mount presto-change-o, and no dangling weight. I want life to be simpler as I get older, including groove tracking.
Yeah, that's what I need to do, get something a little more user friendly. The Pro-ject tables are obviously awful. They probably collude with whiskey distillers, so they can make a lot of money.......:ksc75smile:

Jun 2, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #33,263 of 36,163
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #33,265 of 36,163
I had a decent vinyl collection and sold or donated a lot and went digital. The TT I had was a nice yahama dating back to the 90s but it smashed during a move.
I have been acquiring some decent vinyl from a couple of really great used shops near me and got this local TT: U-Turn Audio

Been having some great times re-collecting some favorite albums.
Between vinyl and tubes, really grasping for the old days.

1685754726037.png

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #33,266 of 36,163

While I bought a "low tech" turntable (AR The Turntable) in 1985, what I wanted if it wasn't so expensive *, was one of the Technics SL-10 linear tracker clam shell turntables.

I saw an SL-10 demonstrated at a Stereo Shop in Little Rock, AR - where the salesman showed its balance & stability by lifting it up and inverting it, so that it was playing the record while upside down.

* NOTE: Even 40 years later, a good used SL-10 costs more than the $470 I paid for my 1985 AR The Turntable, a Profile II Tonearm, a Grado MCE+1 Cartridge, an AudioQuest Sorbothane Mat, & Small Tip Toes.

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #33,268 of 36,163
Trigger warning: you may wish to avert your eyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back