The Audio Lounge
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #23,746 of 36,195
Well, after my FedEx parcel taking a 7 day tour of Hong Kong (apparently due to queues to get it on a plane), I received the Unique Melody MEST today and will be reviewing it at some point too :)

Forgot that it came with a Dignis case; it's even more gorgeous in real life and I'm delighted. My first Dignis case! :)
20200427_171023.jpg
20200427_172826.jpg
Have you guys heard about the MEST? They're more in the upper tier of IEMs at $1300+ although these days the boundaries are always shifting lol.

Anyway, they are a quad-hybrid IEM, featuring DD, 4xBA, 2xEST and a new Bone Conduction driver (!)
VERY engaging and enjoyable so far, across different genres, and with a strong technical performance and excellent detail retrieval. There's some awesome tactility and physicality in the timbre, from that combination of DD and Bone Conduction driver!
If anyone has any questions or would like comparisons with other stuff I have, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to post :)
[EDIT: 4x BA, not 2!]

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #23,747 of 36,195
Well, after my FedEx parcel taking a 7 day tour of Hong Kong (apparently due to queues to get it on a plane), I received the Unique Melody MEST today and will be reviewing it at some point too :)

Forgot that it came with a Dignis case; it's even more gorgeous in real life and I'm delighted. My first Dignis case! :)

Have you guys heard about the MEST? They're more in the upper tier of IEMs at $1300+ although these days the boundaries are always shifting lol.

Anyway, they are a quad-hybrid IEM, featuring DD, 4xBA, 2xEST and a new Bone Conduction driver (!)
VERY engaging and enjoyable so far, across different genres, and with a strong technical performance and excellent detail retrieval. There's some awesome tactility and physicality in the timbre, from that combination of DD and Bone Conduction driver!
If anyone has any questions or would like comparisons with other stuff I have, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to post :)
[EDIT: 4x BA, not 2!]
Sounds like a winner. Love the case. I'm excited about hearing your thoughts on the UM MEST.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #23,748 of 36,195
Are you sick man!!!! The only audio purchase this year..... What the.... It's time to get to work and start buying!!!! :ksc75smile:

I can help your beleaguered state. Just tell me what audio item you've been dreaming about.....
I will NOT submit to your enablement! :smiling_imp: I require only the very bare essentials of audio......well, aside from not having a good DAP.....and also not spending the money on a good DAP. Ya see, the problem is I don't have any immediate need for a better DAP so I haven't really sought one out. And inherently, the actions of "buying a DAP" and "not spending any money" just sort of don't mix. Besides, how can I have money left over to buy audio products if I'm buying artisan keycaps?? :laughing: The price of the keycaps I've bought amount to several times more than the keyboard itself....partially because of the price of the keyboard, but mostly because of the number of keycaps.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #23,749 of 36,195
I think your right....i looked and couldn't find anything with ldac but I'm sure they will eventually, in my opinion its far better than anything else, I'm not very knowledgeable on Bluetooth though as it always sounded inferior to me but since have learnt a little move
This I didn't know until I owned btr5

AAC: 250 kbps

SBC: 328 kbps

aptX: 352 kbps

aptX HD: 576 kbps

LDAC: 990 kbps

I know a lot of you were and are far more knowledgeable with Bluetooth than I am but ldac has taken it to the next level from what little I have heard.

I know this was probably common knowledge to most of you but as i said i know about as much about Bluetooth as open heart surgery.

I know that the Shanling M0 can operate as a USB DAC and BT LDAC transmitter - but it is not Low Latency, for synchronized lips & sound on videos.
The issue is that the M0 probably won't be recognized by products like Televisions, which only expect storage devices to be plugged into the USB port.
What I've been trying to find, is a unit like the M0, that also has SPDIF (optical & coax) inputs - along with the BT LDAC transmitter capability.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #23,750 of 36,195
I will NOT submit to your enablement! :smiling_imp: I require only the very bare essentials of audio......well, aside from not having a good DAP.....and also not spending the money on a good DAP. Ya see, the problem is I don't have any immediate need for a better DAP so I haven't really sought one out. And inherently, the actions of "buying a DAP" and "not spending any money" just sort of don't mix. Besides, how can I have money left over to buy audio products if I'm buying artisan keycaps?? :laughing: The price of the keycaps I've bought amount to several times more than the keyboard itself....partially because of the price of the keyboard, but mostly because of the number of keycaps.

I hear you. I recently saw a dope BMW Motorsports 104 keycap set.... I barely made it off that site alive, lol.

SharedScreenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #23,751 of 36,195
You're buying artisan key caps instead of buying a dap. Now what are all the DAPs going to think? Mate you need some therapy. Some retail dap buying therapy. I'm appalled....😁

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #23,752 of 36,195
I know that the Shanling M0 can operate as a USB DAC and BT LDAC transmitter - but it is not Low Latency, for synchronized lips & sound on videos.
The issue is that the M0 probably won't be recognized by products like Televisions, which only expect storage devices to be plugged into the USB port.
What I've been trying to find, is a unit like the M0, that also has SPDIF (optical & coax) inputs - along with the BT LDAC transmitter capability.

I had looked for something similar a while back but couldn't find anything with LDAC. The closest I came was THIS ONE with AptX. I did like that it had a SPDIF pass through though.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #23,753 of 36,195
The only ones I can find were aptX HD at best and my experience with that was with the flarespro...it was touted as being awesome....it wasn't ....ldac is the only thing coming close for me and that might only be on the btr5, not heard anything else using it.....hopefully not too long would love to try the brr5 for gaming etc.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #23,754 of 36,195
I had looked for something similar a while back but couldn't find anything with LDAC. The closest I came was THIS ONE with AptX. I did like that it had a SPDIF pass through though.
The only ones I can find were aptX HD at best and my experience with that was with the flarespro...it was touted as being awesome....it wasn't ....ldac is the only thing coming close for me and that might only be on the btr5, not heard anything else using it.....hopefully not too long would love to try the brr5 for gaming etc.
Setup a Plex server and buy an Android smart TV. All set...

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #23,755 of 36,195
what kind of bone?

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #23,756 of 36,195
Setup a Plex server and buy an Android smart TV. All set...

I have Android TV boxes on our TV's, but they are Roku TV's and we use the built in Roku player app to play video from the NAS. I tried Plex years ago, maybe I'll have to give it a go again.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #23,758 of 36,195
I’m lost at there’s a bone driver or conductor.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #23,760 of 36,195
Oh snap, I just remembered that there is a private listening option in the Roku app on my phone, so I could use the app to feed my amp and have wireless audio to my desktop setup. I wonder how compressed it will be, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back