The Audio Lounge
Jan 24, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #22,066 of 36,128
@SteveOliver , hey my friend see you on the ety thread yesterday and noticed you bought some 2xr how are you finding them? I know you have 4xr like me and was also wondering if the cables mmcx fit each other? And is a standard across their range?.....I washed my 3xr last year and I'm thinking of replacing with 2xr or comets or 3xr again.....
4xr still for me are a still a fantastic iem , love my andro s but i still think that the 4xr retrieve a smidge more detail but the andro are more holographic and 3d ..both are excellent iems and the best 2 I have ever heard which is why they are keepers for me, as you know my circle of life can be swift lol

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #22,067 of 36,128
@majo123 as they say its a small world isn't it. :)

Your comparisons between the Ety's and Campfire IEM's are interesting, I've never listened to anything Campfire but do want to try the Atlas ASAP.

I actually have the 2SE but I may have mistyped 2SR. I was looking for an IEM with a single dynamic driver and at the price Amazon US were selling it for, around £100, I thought why not, as we do here on Head-Fi.

The 2 hasn't had much ear-time but in the couple of hours or so its had I would say I like it, compared to even the 4XR it seems to have a little hump somewhere in the bass region which I noticed and liked and the rest of the sound response curve seems close to the 4XR.

The mmcx cables are interchangeable between the 2 and 4 in fact I did that test last night as my other Ety cable is modded for 3.5mm balanced.

The only thing that is worrying me about the 2SE is, its robustness. Being new and a different driver technology it may be a bit more fragile going by some of the reviews I've seen. I do look after my stuff so hopefully it will be OK, especially as it shares ear-time with around 100 other IEM's.*

* OK 100 is a small exaggeration.

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #22,068 of 36,128
@majo123 as they say its a small world isn't it. :)

Your comparisons between the Ety's and Campfire IEM's are interesting, I've never listened to anything Campfire but do want to try the Atlas ASAP.

I actually have the 2SE but I may have mistyped 2SR. I was looking for an IEM with a single dynamic driver and at the price Amazon US were selling it for, around £100, I thought why not, as we do here on Head-Fi.

The 2 hasn't had much ear-time but in the couple of hours or so its had I would say I like it, compared to even the 4XR it seems to have a little hump somewhere in the bass region which I noticed and liked and the rest of the sound response curve seems close to the 4XR.

The mmcx cables are interchangeable between the 2 and 4 in fact I did that test last night as my other Ety cable is modded for 3.5mm balanced.

The only thing that is worrying me about the 2SE is, its robustness. Being new and a different driver technology it may be a bit more fragile going by some of the reviews I've seen. I do look after my stuff so hopefully it will be OK, especially as it shares ear-time with around 100 other IEM's.*

* OK 100 is a small exaggeration.

Yes I had seen them myself on Amazon US cheap then came across your post yesterday saying you had them , I'm still toying though because the 3xr are not much more money on amazon US and the comets are a bit better for long term wear with shallower fit , I have tried the comets and liked them a lot but they dont compete with ety resolution and detail, apparently the etys just dig a tad deeper in this regard, but they like the andro v er4xr are different tuning and like comparing apples and oranges , dont get me wrong rhe comets are excellent but more slighy v shaped tuning .....decisions lol

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #22,069 of 36,128
Hey Jerick, I was waiting a while to see if anyone posted your Thin Lizzy tune............

So my pick is a cracking song written by Phil Coulter about the madness and futility of armed conflict...............

I hadn't heard that song before, very moving, thank you :)
This is a song that will always stick in my mind with regards to 'the troubles'; not only the song, but this specific performance.
As someone commented underneath the video,
"I don’t think we should discount the sheer amount of balls it took for U2 both to do this song and for Bono to make this statement at the height of tensions in Northern Ireland.
Also you have to remember, much of the funding for the IRA came from the U.S. and NorAid.
Bars in Boston and New York used to have jars labeled for “widows and orphans” to fund this.
Bono here is basically saying Irish Americans were being ignorant, on US soil. It was pretty damn courageous and U2 at its best".
In an interview just prior to this song on Rattle & Hum, Bono talks about the fact that, earlier that same day, there'd been a bombing back home, and he and the rest of the band were highly emotional at the time..

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #22,070 of 36,128
@SteveOliver , hey my friend see you on the ety thread yesterday and noticed you bought some 2xr how are you finding them? I know you have 4xr like me and was also wondering if the cables mmcx fit each other? And is a standard across their range?.....I washed my 3xr last year and I'm thinking of replacing with 2xr or comets or 3xr again.....
4xr still for me are a still a fantastic iem , love my andro s but i still think that the 4xr retrieve a smidge more detail but the andro are more holographic and 3d ..both are excellent iems and the best 2 I have ever heard which is why they are keepers for me, as you know my circle of life can be swift lol

I've got a couple of questions about the Etymotic MMCX plugs -
From what I can tell, by looking at photos - it appears that the actual electrical contact part of the plug is a standard MMCX, but Etymotic has added a "collar" to the jack, which keeps generic MMCX plugs from fitting.
Is that what you've been able to see, from actually using the Etymotic earphones?
Will the angled Etymotic MMCX plugs fit in the standard MMCX jack on other brands of earphones?

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #22,071 of 36,128
From what I can tell, by looking at photos - it appears that the actual electrical contact part of the plug is a standard MMCX, but Etymotic has added a "collar" to the jack, which keeps generic MMCX plugs from fitting.
Is that what you've been able to see, from actually using the Etymotic earphones?
Will the angled Etymotic MMCX plugs fit in the standard MMCX jack on other brands of earphones?
I'm uncertain but will check for you and get back to you ....one thing I do know is I had a conversation with @Midgetguy about the ety mmcx and normal mmcx fitting the etys, he said he had read that the ety mmcx is slightly shorter on the contact area so most normal mmcx dont fit or click into position, I have checked this myself and can confirm it seems to be the case.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #22,072 of 36,128
Also while I'm here the btr5 Is fantastic think its setting in nicely now , the bluetooth is so close to wired its shocking! Never used to stream or use bluetooth was pretty anti it all and within 3 months I am streaming and using bluetooth .....look at me getting down with the kids lol.....Amazon hd is fantastic definitely worth a try and you can get a free trial , btr5 is also brilliant and a no brainer in my opinion, I will even stick my neck out and say it may be one of the best audio purchases I have bought for me.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #22,073 of 36,128
Going back to the andro and ety heres my very quick take on them and sort of v each other ...the er4xr are still for me one of the best iems I have heard, dont think I have heard anything else that seems to me more accurate and realistic, very nearly neutral with slight bass boost but not overbearing and if you are a bass head you will not enjoy these, all though I think everyone should try them for 1 week then go back to what they have been using and compare, when first using they seem uncomfortable and maybe very clinical but then you get used to ety tuning and go back and wow you can hear the difference in accuracy detail and realism to most ..drawbacks well deep insertion , excellent width and separation but being single ba no depth and quite 2d compared to the andro , none the less still one of my favourite iems.

The andro s version , when I first heard a pair of andro I wasnt that impressed to be honest lol coming from ety they just didn't seem as accurate or neutral which was or is my thing , the mids/vocals on er4xr come across a tad forward in my opinion which I like, i hate anything with recessed vocals you dont go to see a band to mainly hear drums or trumpets and for me without the lead vocalist if there is one then the band isn't much. I think because of this on first listen which was brief they didnt wow me because they sit slightly back compared to er4xr, they fitted fantastic though on first use so I thought one day maybe I will give them a go because I have real fit issues and you cant tell an iem in 5 mins or even 30 mins in my opinion ..8 out of 10 cats cant be wrong eh. So I tried them briefly again and they did seem nice , lovely full smooth sound with lots of depth and width and holographic which the etys lack so I bought them but still wasnt 100 % sure compared to my ety but the fit was amazing and they did sound good ...a few months on and after some considerable use I can say that I would keep them over my beloved er4xr, there fantastic! you do at times hear and feel more with that depth of field and mids have great realism which I love, live performances i love with these too as they have a great sense of musicality , great separation and air too ..they are basically different animals but both equally doing it for me very well and I will keep both , infact after years of buying and trying the new next best thing and 95% of the time being not impressed I think I have sort of come to an end at this point with iems, fit is always an issue for me which limits , Solaris would be like having 2 bookshelf speakers on my head lol....so I have my 2 favourites.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #22,075 of 36,128
My neck agrees, wired to PC, wired to xduoo x10t ii or Bluetooth or wired to phone its a truly versatile device. Do I even need anything else? Of course I do its Head-Fi. :)

Yep I love it, but I have scratched the face of mine pretty badly already at work using it clipped to my belt...grrrrr, hey ho I did buy it for work and know it can be a bit perilous in my line of work, still works fine though and hey £80 if I do break it il buy another or 2 lol

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #22,076 of 36,128

DBaldock9, yes it fits the FH7 and SE846 so I would imagine it would fit others too. The are both OK in the ear too.

20200125_075919.jpg 20200125_080012.jpg

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #22,077 of 36,128
Yep I love it, but I have scratched the face of mine pretty badly already at work using it clipped to my belt...grrrrr, hey ho I did buy it for work and know it can be a bit perilous in my line of work, still works fine though and hey £80 if I do break it il buy another or 2 lol

Thanks for the warning Majo, it must be soft glass to scratch easily like that, probably not Gorilla glass of any type.

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #22,080 of 36,128
DBaldock9, yes it fits the FH7 and SE846 so I would imagine it would fit others too. The are both OK in the ear too.

Thanks!
I'm thinking of contacting Lindsay (Impact Audio Cables), to see if he would assemble a pair of Custom 4-ft, 4-Strand Type 6 Copper Litz Cables -
Impact Audio Cable - https://www.etsy.com/listing/473771...-iem-cable?ref=shop_home_active_1&frs=1&crt=1

One with an Eidolic 2.5mm TRRS -to- 135° Ety MMCX Plugs
135° Ety MMCX Plug - http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5702

One with an Eidolic 2.5mm TRRS -to- 90° 0.78mm 2-Pin Plugs
90° 0.78mm 2-Pin Plug - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33042858142.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back