The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jun 2, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #7,576 of 7,725
I just got my compass at work right now, I am wondering when I get home what should I do with the preamp to my active speakers? Should I turn my speakers to max and control them with my compass? (audioengine a5)

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #7,577 of 7,725
I have a quick question, during the burn in process does it matter whether you alternate between optical and usb?

My main pc is pretty power hungry and I don't want to leave it on all the time, whereas I have a low powered laptop that I can hook up with asio4all and a usb cable for the burn in when I'm at work.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #7,579 of 7,725
I have a quick question

If I use a ibasso line out adapter like this one
iBasso

then plug the 3.5"mm end of a 3.5"mm to RCA into the adapter, then plug the RCA end into the Line in section of the compass will this work.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #7,580 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by PID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a quick question

If I use a ibasso line out adapter like this one
iBasso

then plug the 3.5"mm end of a 3.5"mm to RCA into the adapter, then plug the RCA end into the Line in section of the compass will this work.

Sure it'd work. But why are you doing such a thing? What is the other end of your adapter connected to? Are you using another DAC instead of the compass's on-board?

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #7,581 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure it'd work. But why are you doing such a thing? What is the other end of your adapter connected to? Are you using another DAC instead of the compass's on-board?

No, the other end would we connected to a ipod.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #7,582 of 7,725
Quote:

No, the other end would we connected to a ipod.

Still begs the question what do you need the iBasso for? You can easily make RCA adapter from your iPod to the Compass.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #7,583 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still begs the question what do you need the iBasso for? You can easily make RCA adapter from your iPod to the Compass.

I have a 3.5"mm to RCA cable. So the ibasso would do nothing for me? I thought it would improve the sound. I guess I don't need it.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #7,584 of 7,725
Quote:

I have a 3.5"mm to RCA cable. So the ibasso would do nothing for me? I thought it would improve the sound. I guess I don't need it.

I don't know. But this is what you are suggesting.

Your music file:

Processed by the Wolfsen D/A in the iPod and then amplified by your iPod. Then it goes to your iBasso. Gets processed by another Wolfsen D/A and amplified again. Then you send it to the Compass. Processed by the AD1852 D/A and then Amplified for a 3rd time.

Try it and see if it improved the sound. Also if you don't, I'd probably go with the line out to RCA adapter to Compass direct from the iPod.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #7,585 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know. But this is what you are suggesting.

Your music file:

Processed by the Wolfsen D/A in the iPod and then amplified by your iPod. Then it goes to your iBasso. Gets processed by another Wolfsen D/A and amplified again. Then you send it to the Compass. Processed by the AD1852 D/A and then Amplified for a 3rd time.

Try it and see if it improved the sound. Also if you don't, I'd probably go with the line out to RCA adapter to Compass direct from the iPod.

Thanks, for the input I am just going to use my 3.5"mm to RCA cable direct from my iPod to the compass's line in port.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #7,586 of 7,725
Quote:

Thanks, for the input I am just going to use my 3.5"mm to RCA cable direct from my iPod to the compass's line in port.

There's another option you might want to consider, if not now maybe for the future. The Headphone jack o the iPod I believe goes through an additional amplification stage. I have a Monster Dock cable that does RCA out, as well as Video. It is Fixed line level. It does not vary with the Vol control on the iPod. Or see if you can borrow one to A/B against your headphone Jack out.

I use this as a portable test source.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #7,587 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you got the K701 now! Do you have those on hold until the Compass shows up or are you amping it with something meanwhile? (I'm asking since I think you sold your D10 already).

Looking forward to your review with the compass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep I trade the K701 for the D10 actually, with a bit of cash incentive on top from the other guy.

To be honest, I don't even know if the K701 works since I haven't plugged it into anything since receiving it lol. It didn't come with the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter so it's just sitting on my shelf for now.

However, it will be getting plenty of use once my Compass arrives... probably tomorrow, since it didn't come today. I will be sure to inspect it for possible damage since I requested the Cherry girl to mark my package down to like 50 bucks to avoid customs fees. They only allowed it if I took responsibility for the package's safety.

Can't promise much on the review though, it will be something along the lines of "sounds good" with a bit of embellishments here and there haha.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #7,588 of 7,725
So les garten, you are suggesting a cable that connects to iPod directly, but not through the headphone jack, and has RCA on the other end.

Thanks to everyone for telling me I did not need the ibasso, I am still new to all this and you just saved me about 40 quid.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #7,590 of 7,725
Quote:

So les garten, you are suggesting a cable that connects to iPod directly, but not through the headphone jack, and has RCA on the other end.

Thanks to everyone for telling me I did not need the ibasso, I am still new to all this and you just saved me about 40 quid.

Yes, that's what I have. There may be cheap ones out there, maybe at Griffith or elsewhere. It connects to the DOCK and has RCAs and Composite Video. I use it to troubleshoot because it's an RCA source I can carry around.

Here's an example

AV Video Cable for Apple iPod Nano iPhone 3G w/USB V2.2 - eBay (item 220426356577 end time Jun-02-09 16:10:11 PDT)

I'm not saying that one in particular, you may want to browse around and find a better one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back