The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jun 2, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #7,591 of 7,725
sorry if the answer to this question has been given by someone's post in the past but I cannot read all pages back. So, here's the question: what's the opamps in the hp/pre amp of the compass (I'm not talking about the HMDA in the DAC section, ofc)?

thx, lao

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #7,592 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's what I have. There may be cheap ones out there, maybe at Griffith or elsewhere. It connects to the DOCK and has RCAs and Composite Video. I use it to troubleshoot because it's an RCA source I can carry around.

Here's an example

AV Video Cable for Apple iPod Nano iPhone 3G w/USB V2.2 - eBay (item 220426356577 end time Jun-02-09 16:10:11 PDT)

I'm not saying that one in particular, you may want to browse around and find a better one.

Thanks you helped me out a lot, and now I know what I need to buy.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #7,593 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your music file:

Processed by the Wolfsen D/A in the iPod and then amplified by your iPod. Then it goes to your iBasso. Gets processed by another Wolfsen D/A and amplified again. Then you send it to the Compass. Processed by the AD1852 D/A and then Amplified for a 3rd time.

There is only one D/A conversion, not three, that's impossible. The iPod's DA would convert, then the rest of the signal would be analogue. The iBasso would just be another unnecessary amp in the chain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry if the answer to this question has been given by someone's post in the past but I cannot read all pages back. So, here's the question: what's the opamps in the hp/pre amp of the compass (I'm not talking about the HMDA in the DAC section, ofc)?

thx, lao

There are no opamps in the HP amp/pre. It's all discrete.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #7,594 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thx, lao

There are none...

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #7,596 of 7,725
Did any of you guys get an autoreply/confirmation from Audio-GD when you sent payment? Paypal says the payment was received, but I was wondering what I should expect in terms of communication from them at this point.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #7,597 of 7,725
thx Currawong and les_garten, I was wondering
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #7,598 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did any of you guys get an autoreply/confirmation from Audio-GD when you sent payment? Paypal says the payment was received, but I was wondering what I should expect in terms of communication from them at this point.

I think you need to email them that you send them money.

Or else they may not know

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #7,599 of 7,725
Quote:

I really don't see this as a big issue, other than the user/buyer should be told this on the Website. I understand not everyone builds or does DIY. So most would not instinctively know to shut down. The worst I can say for this is that it is an oversight. I'm sure Kingwa probably thinks this is obvious, and it is to amp builders. YMMV. Some things are obvious to some people these same things are not so obvious to others.

An oversight, that's all.

I dont have any experience building amps but I assumed this as well. It seems to me that one would want to shut down or lower the volume all the way when changing something that will have a large impact on the output. For the same reason people lower the volume or power down when changing headphones. That is what people do, isnt it?

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #7,600 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont have any experience building amps but I assumed this as well. It seems to me that one would want to shut down or lower the volume all the way when changing something that will have a large impact on the output. For the same reason people lower the volume or power down when changing headphones. That is what people do, isnt it?

That's how I roll...

I will say I was uneasy the first time I hit the Super button while Hot.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #7,601 of 7,725
Quote:

That's how I roll...

I will say I was uneasy the first time I hit the Super button while Hot.

Me too, the preamp switch as well. (I have the super buttons set up to be the preamp switch)

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #7,602 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually did get an autoreply when I sent my payment.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #7,603 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by PID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a quick question

If I use a ibasso line out adapter like this one
iBasso

then plug the 3.5"mm end of a 3.5"mm to RCA into the adapter, then plug the RCA end into the Line in section of the compass will this work.

The only thing about doing that is you might not burn in the DAC section. The analog input on the Compass goes straight to the headphone amp section so there would be no signal running through the DAC section. It may still burn in the DAC just by being on but I can't say for sure. If you haven't got a digital source and won't be using the DAC it doesn't matter I suppose and can burn in later, or just use USB output from your computer.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #7,604 of 7,725
I wonder if they will make a Compass2 with a C2C and MK19SE combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back