The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jun 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #7,531 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to me Compass size and I estimate the around USD500 (just a guess..)..
smily_headphones1.gif

i am browsing through their Chinese forum

and i can see a few of them are already ordering
k701smile.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #7,533 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, once I switched it, the playback stopped and Compass started behaving as described earlier. My guess was that it wasn't posing any danger since Kingwa had never warned of it (At least I don't remember to have come across such notice), besides, I thought that all Compass' external switches can be safely operated when turned on. Hmm, interesting.

Yeah, I'm betting that switch rewires it on the fly while it's hot. IMHO that would be a bad thing...

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #7,535 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any thoughts on how much it improves usb sound quality?

not too sure about the quality

but this will enable usb to overcome the 16/48 constraint

bigsmile_face.gif

will be beneficial if u are listening to higher bit rate music file..

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #7,536 of 7,725
Quote:

Any thoughts on how it actually works??
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7,537 of 7,725
Quote:

As far as my communications with Kingwa sometime back, he feels the converter should sound as good as his CD3 (2007) now discontinued.. if that is true than it is a significant improvement.. I have the CD7, so I have heard the difference personally..

Quote:

Any thoughts on how it actually works??

You know me well my friend.. I have no clues..
icon10.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #7,538 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think you are lucky you didn't Blow the amp. The Gain switch "looks" like it adds a resister in series or switches resisters, or switches two different circuits. I would "CAUTION" against doing this while powered up. I didn't design the circuit, I just traced the switch to the amp board. All other amps like this one(Discrete), you change gain with a resister or two. So switching the circuit while it's hot seems dangerous. This should be clarified to be sure and the answer from the Guru in FoShan should be posted here and on his website. If he says it's OK, it's OK.

So in hind site, how proximal were your problems to your switching of the gain? Did you flip the switch and start having problems pretty much immediately??

This cannot be true, but if it is:
Wow! What a monumental flaw. This design error will bite Audio-gd in the butt.
Did anyone know of this? It's going to affect decicisions on purchasing, and make existing owners mad.
Guess I'll just put some tape over the switch and pretend it doesn't exist.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #7,539 of 7,725
o_O interesting, just half an hour ago I thought I'd be perfectly happy with my mp3 player's optical output for the next few years. How can you do this to me audio-gd -_-.

wdoerr, just wait to see what Kingwa says. I'm pretty sure it's fine because I don't think audio-gd would ever allow customers to damage their gear by not telling them something as simple as switching it off before switching gain.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #7,540 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone know of this? It's going to affect decicisions on purchasing, and make existing owners mad.

I really don't see this as a big issue, other than the user/buyer should be told this on the Website. I understand not everyone builds or does DIY. So most would not instinctively know to shut down. The worst I can say for this is that it is an oversight. I'm sure Kingwa probably thinks this is obvious, and it is to amp builders. YMMV. Some things are obvious to some people these same things are not so obvious to others.

An oversight, that's all.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #7,541 of 7,725
Quote:

wdoerr, just wait to see what Kingwa says. I'm pretty sure it's fine because I don't think audio-gd would ever allow customers to damage their gear by not telling them something as simple as switching it off before switching gain.

I would suggest the same, wait for a few hours and lets hear from him.. as far as my recollection goes, I think Kingwa wrote to me sometime back and said the in the upgraded version the gain was controlled by a relay, so I dont think it needs to be powered off (I can be wrong though).. anways, lets wait and see what he has to say..

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #7,542 of 7,725
Quick update if anyone's interested, seems that my Compass has been released from customs and should now go to the courier. Whoever that's going to be.

I really can't bear the waiting anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Your item was released from Customs(UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY TRA) at 2009-05-31 20:37:00

Timing Site Status
2009-05-24 13:59:00 GUANGZHOU Posting
2009-05-24 14:38:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2009-05-24 17:07:00 GUANGZHOU Arrival at Sorting Center
2009-05-24 20:14:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2009-05-26 20:08:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF Arrival at Sorting Center
2009-05-26 20:08:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF Handed over to Customs
2009-05-31 20:37:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY TRA Released from Customs

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #7,544 of 7,725
Quote:

My Compass went haywire a few nights ago because i'd had it flipped onto the higher-gain part of the switch . No sound for awhile then wouldn't go into the opposite gain setting if I powered it off even .
Seems to be back to normal tho now .... I don't understand E.E. but that seems strange to me . shrug .

Hoping I didn't fry/damage anything internally with all of that .
I will say, it is sounding reallllllyyyyy good today after what is probably 300 hours' burn-in time with it being powered on pretty much 24/7 since I recieved it with electronic music playing through it ...

I just wish I could play 24 bit or higher, through it and not be limited to 16 bits.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #7,545 of 7,725
Quote:

OMG.....stop being an knee jerk reactionary for 5 minutes and think before you post...can you do that ?

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back