The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jun 1, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #7,516 of 7,725
Looks like I missed out. Still seems to be a good price on a great piece of equipment. I'll put some graduation money towards it.

I've already got some HD595s that I plan to pair with this. Any other headphones I should look into for video games?

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #7,517 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypillow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I missed out. Still seems to be a good price on a great piece of equipment. I'll put some graduation money towards it.

I've already got some HD595s that I plan to pair with this. Any other headphones I should look into for video games?

The Beyerdynamic DT880 and the Audio-technica ATH-AD700 are considered very good "game 'phones". (I think the DT880 in particular are just perfect for the job.) And who knows, you may end up liking them with music too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #7,519 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypillow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like Drosera said, AD700s are very good - but since you are getting the compass why not stretch the budget to AD900s?

Mine is apparently being shipped this week, super excited! Still haven't found out how long the USB cable is that comes with it (not sure if the spot I have for it will be close enough to reach the pc).

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #7,520 of 7,725
Does anyone have a clue about the type and capacity of these 4 brown caps?
Not looking to start a DIY discussion in this thread.

My guess: Metallized Polypropylene 700pF? (but seems like an odd number)
I could be way off. Any ideas?
caps.jpg

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #7,521 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a clue about the type and capacity of these 4 brown caps?
Not looking to start a DIY discussion in this thread.

My guess: Metallized Polypropylene 700pF? (but seems like an odd number)
I could be way off. Any ideas?

Ask Kingwa?

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #7,523 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPDATE :

I turned it off for awhile (bout half hour) and just powered it back on and its back to normal ... very strange ... maybe it was tired ? Needed a smoke break and a cocktail ??
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, very relieved obviously ...
Will not be using that high-gain switch setting again ... has something to do with it ?

It's sounding really good also .... opening up ... more detail .... etcetra, etcetra ...(listening via Sony MDR-SA5000 'phones ...)

k701smile.gif

Now, that you have mentioned it, someting similar happened to me as well. I wanted to switch to preamp but reached to the gain switch and switched to high - from then on, there was no USB communication at all and when I switched the unit off, the blue power LED dimmed but was still on (repeated several times with the same effect). Disconecting the power cable for a while solved the issue. I wasn't able to repro this bug since - gain switch is again working as intended. Weird...

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #7,524 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, that you have mentioned it, someting similar happened to me as well. I wanted to switch to preamp but reached to the gain switch and switched to high - from then on, there was no USB communication at all and when I switched the unit off, the blue power LED dimmed but was still on (repeated several times with the same effect). Disconecting the power cable for a while solved the issue. I wasn't able to repro this bug since - gain switch is again working as intended. Weird...

Did you shut down before switching the gain switch?

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #7,526 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I did not, should I?

Well, I think you are lucky you didn't Blow the amp. The Gain switch "looks" like it adds a resister in series or switches resisters, or switches two different circuits. I would "CAUTION" against doing this while powered up. I didn't design the circuit, I just traced the switch to the amp board. All other amps like this one(Discrete), you change gain with a resister or two. So switching the circuit while it's hot seems dangerous. This should be clarified to be sure and the answer from the Guru in FoShan should be posted here and on his website. If he says it's OK, it's OK.

So in hind site, how proximal were your problems to your switching of the gain? Did you flip the switch and start having problems pretty much immediately??

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #7,527 of 7,725
OT.

I think Kingwa finally (after 2years) finalized the USB/COAX/Optical converter board, should be on sale in a months time. This one's really useful for guys like me who spend most of the time on PC or even someone using a not so good transport.. it uses the same chip as REF one but different software only for conversion (DSP3). As far as I know it has 1 USB, 1 Coax BNC, One Optical and 1 Coax RCA Input. Output is 1 Coax BNC and 1 RCA and can be set at 48/96/192K..

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #7,528 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT.

I think Kingwa finally (after 2years) finalized the USB/COAX/Optical converter board, should be on sale in a months time. This one's really useful for guys like me who spend most of the time on PC or even someone using a not so good transport.. it uses the same chip as REF one but different software only for conversion (DSP3). As far as I know it has 1 USB, 1 Coax BNC, One Optical and 1 Coax RCA Input. Output is 1 Coax BNC and 1 RCA and can be set at 48/96/192K..

Finally

But from the pcb, this will be rather big and expensive
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #7,529 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in hind site, how proximal were your problems to your switching of the gain? Did you flip the switch and start having problems pretty much immediately??

Exactly, once I switched it, the playback stopped and Compass started behaving as described earlier. My guess was that it wasn't posing any danger since Kingwa had never warned of it (At least I don't remember to have come across such notice), besides, I thought that all Compass' external switches can be safely operated when turned on. Hmm, interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back