The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #7,397 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by samspotting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like my order was shipped on the 24th (sunday) according to their website with ems. Anyone have any idea of when it will come, if I live in Toronto?

I'm also in Toronto and my C2C took between 1 and 2 weeks to arrive by EMS once shipped. I've had EMS shipments from Japan arrive in 2 days before though so it might be faster sometimes.

May 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #7,398 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I'm trying to wade through this thread but it's MASSIVE
redface.gif

Anyhow I am looking to order a Compass in the next day or two before the pricing goes up
smily_headphones1.gif
What I'd like to know is whether it's a good idea to get the additional HDAMs besides the stock Earth. I generally like a neutral sound with the least changes, especially from sources, so I was leaning toward just getting the Earth but of course the tweaker in me wants to try the other HDAMs
wink.gif
especially since they'd be shipped with the Compass this would save some money. I guess my question then is whether the 'tone setting' jumpers change the sound in a different manner than the HDAMs? Also are the jumpers just for the headphone amp/preamp section and not for pure DAC mode?

The jumpers won't affect the dac in "bypass" mode. Some people say all three hdam's are worth getting, but the earth is the most popular. If you really want to experience the other two flavors, then get them, they'll have good resale value later. But if you don't want to take a risk buying them, just go with the earth, I don't think anyone dislikes it.

May 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #7,399 of 7,725
'Earth' sounds just right to me via Sennheiser / Sony and Altec-Lansing headphones ... I hear/feel no need to buy the other 2 . Yes, i'm curious to a/b/c compare them but ...shrug .

May 27, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #7,400 of 7,725
Quote:

redface.gif

Anyhow I am looking to order a Compass in the next day or two before the pricing goes up
smily_headphones1.gif
What I'd like to know is whether it's a good idea to get the additional HDAMs besides the stock Earth. I generally like a neutral sound with the least changes, especially from sources, so I was leaning toward just getting the Earth but of course the tweaker in me wants to try the other HDAMs
wink.gif
especially since they'd be shipped with the Compass this would save some money. I guess my question then is whether the 'tone setting' jumpers change the sound in a different manner than the HDAMs? Also are the jumpers just for the headphone amp/preamp section and not for pure DAC mode?

Since you like neutral, the Earth would be your best choice, if you had to choose one. That said, it seems that most who didn't get the others at initial purchase either went back and got them or wished they had/could. If you think you'd ever want to try them, I'd say go for it since you save on shipping - the shipping alone makes ordering just an HDAM kind of silly - but if you bunch it in with other purchases (something big like a compass) you essentially get 'free' shipping on the HDAM. As other have said I'm sure you could sell them pretty easily if you don't like them, but I've found I like switching them out from time to time, even if I have my favorite.

The jumpers are just for the amp/preamp - if you use super for DAC only, just swapping the HDAM will give you different sounds.

May 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #7,401 of 7,725
Quote:

redface.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Personally, I like the Earth module (and based on your comments, chances are it would suit your tastes well), but considering that incremental shipping costs for the extra HDAMS is nill, why not take the plunge on those as well? After all, you could have fun auditioning the numerous HDAMs/jumper modes, find the one(s) that best suit you, and then sell any unwanted HDAM modules for roughly the same $ it cost you. Oh....and to my ears (at least), swapping HDAMs made a more noticeable difference in sound than the jumpers.

May 27, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #7,402 of 7,725
After reading the first 300 and skipped over to thread 415 reading replies and hearing all comments made and the
extensive testing i decided to order the compass /with panther amp to move
a pair of M&K speakers 750's i am a newbbee and wanted a dac for my mac book pro. the headphone amp is a plus or is the dac with the amp a plus
for the price and what i have read on the workmanship this may be the deal of the year! i also purchased the moon and the sun v.2 hdams mind you i am
new to all this so please accept my views as one who is just learning the audiophile way of things. Prior to my purchase the customer service has been stellar.
Cherry has been great through the whole purchasing process responding to my
endless question asking by me, with very prompt replies, Kingwa has even answered where Cherry could not. i have little time for my self raising 4 kids
at home and wish i could spend more time with the burn in process and hearing my unit evolve, what Kingwa suggested, he could do a more extensive burn time for me with no extra charge now thats customer service
so i asked him if he would do a 300 hour burn in time for me ? and he will provide that service for me , that includes burn in of the Panther amp, Compass,2 extra opamps
the anticipation is like xmas day , reading the threads i opted to get the upgraded power cord, shark inter connect and rca cable with shipping, 4% paypal costs, all said came to under a grand. i herd some people were getting discounts on accessories with the purchase of the compass i did not get such a discount, i also purchased the Panther Amp , if anybody got discounts on power cords inter connects please let me know who i should speak to or what approach to take. i ordered a week ago Kingwa told me with the added burn in time it would be 25 to 30 days before shipping , the days are getting longer if you know what i mean. in the mean time i will shop around to find a way to listen to CD quality non compressed music files
if any body has a suggestion im All Ears. by the wat i will be listening mostly through my SE530 til i can match up a nice pair HP with the compass
amp. thanks be back soon .
All Ears

May 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #7,403 of 7,725
Has anyone here tried the Panther amp yet? I tried searching HF, but all I could find is a discussion where some dude hijacked the thread...going on & on about some amp he didn't even own
rolleyes.gif

May 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #7,404 of 7,725
Wow I bet that system (Compass & Panther with the M&K's) will knock your socks off
smily_headphones1.gif

The discount for the accessories only lasted for a short time period and was posted as such , those items were not meant to stay on permanent discount during the intro price period ...just an additional thanks for taking a chance on the Compass is my best guess for the early adopters back in Feb/Mar. It's only a guess though.

Kingwa is terrific guy that is for sure, he'll do as much as he can for you to help and accommodate reasonable requests (even some unreasonable ones...but taking of advantage of things isn't cool in my book, not that I'm accusing anyone)

No matter how many times I try and reword this...it still comes out sounding like I'm a spokesman...I'm not.

Sigh....

Anyway...I'd love to hear thoughts on the Panther and the DAC19 Mk III...I should have my CD7/Compass (final rev) sometime soon....EMS hasn't updated the tracking page for 4 days now (not that I'm worried)....must be coming by DC3 via the N Pole
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

May 27, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #7,405 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by thelsuman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here tried the Panther amp yet? I tried searching HF, but all I could find is a discussion where some dude hijacked the thread...going on & on about some amp he didn't even own
rolleyes.gif

Hope i am doing this right i still learning to navigate, reply etc. sorry for highjacking i did not know were to tell all how excited i am about this whole
experience with audio-gd and head-fi forum sorry for the all around newbee mistake please except my apology.
All Ears
confused_face(1).gif

May 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #7,406 of 7,725
Your fine Mr Ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

May 28, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #7,407 of 7,725
Pete,
Thanks for the info on the discount thing i had to ask. i followed your threads
for quite a long time before pulling the trigger and thanks for the insightful
information you and others,Les Garten, brought to my attention. on the amp part i only
have a RSA Mustang to compare the amp section of the compass and no DAC
to compare with, so very exciting stuff for me. i dont think of you as a shill
as that one person put it some post's ago but a person who knows what i dont
and you are a world of helpful information people should see that. Kingwa is doing a long burn in for me and that tells all what kind of guy he is, i thanked him for his customer service and from that service i purchased extra cables, i will be loyal to him and thankful by purchasing his products.

May 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #7,408 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...I'm looking for feedback/recommendations from those that have possibly heard the components in question and could offer some sound advice. That is, in a nutshell, does a C2C/0404 combination trump the Compass? And anything else that they might want to offer.

You'd want a much better DAC than the 0404 to go with the C2C. I usually suggest a DAC19MK3, or second-hand Apogee, Lavry, or Benchmark, Stello or similar.

Quote:

redface.gif

That's why I wrote the FAQ, to save people having to do this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALL EARS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope i am doing this right i still learning to navigate, reply etc. sorry for highjacking i did not know were to tell all how excited i am about this whole
experience with audio-gd and head-fi forum sorry for the all around newbee mistake please except my apology.
All Ears
confused_face(1).gif

Can I suggest that you review what you've written before posting it and amend it to make it clearer and more readable. For example, break up your writing into shorter sentences.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #7,409 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALL EARS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading the first 300 and skipped over to thread 415 reading replies and hearing all comments made and the
extensive testing i decided to order the compass /with panther amp
All Ears

All Ears,
I am really excited that someone here on Head.fi has pulled the trigger on the Panther. I would really like to order one as well, to go with my Compass, as soon as funds are available. I know you are fairly new to all of this but please post pics and first impressions when you get everything setup and working to you satisfaction. There is a seperate Panther thread that would be appropriate to post to. Should be a great setup.

As to cans, I have Denon D2000's and am quite happy, but Sennheiser HD580, HD600, or HD650's would be great, as well, if you don't need a closed can. Lots of other choises too, but I have not tried any of those.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back