The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #7,336 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Plea for help.
I've been burning in my compass for a while now and it was fine so far. But I left it on to burn it in over dinner and by the time I came back, the sound has gone. I can't get it to play the music when I'm playing files through foobar. It was still working before dinner when I was still listening to music but now I don't know what went wrong
frown.gif
. Can anyone identify what might be the problem? I dunno if its because I left it on too long but it doesn't look like its burnt or anything like that.

Edit: I think I can still hear some hissing when I turn the volume dial to max with headphones connected and nothing is playing

Have you tried turning foobar and Compass off and then turning them back on again, also check the foobar settings to see if its hooked up to Compass still.
I highly doubt that your Compass is broken, at least not from overuse. I know that there are people who have left theirs running over the course of an entire weekend, so I don't think a little listening and dinner would do it in. Of course this is just my opinion, and I may be wrong.

Edit: This is the first time I have heard of this problem as well. It would seem more likely that something is wrong with the Compass if it had happened before. You may also want to check your connections (at both ends).

May 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #7,337 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried turning foobar and Compass off and then turning them back on again, also check the foobar settings to see if its hooked up to Compass still.
I highly doubt that your Compass is broken, at least not from overuse. I know that there are people who have left theirs running over the course of an entire weekend, so I don't think a little listening and dinner would do it in. Of course this is just my opinion, and I may be wrong.

Edit: This is the first time I have heard of this problem as well. It would seem more likely that something is wrong with the Compass if it had happened before. You may also want to check your connections (at both ends).

I turned mine on 6 weeks ago.

May 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #7,338 of 7,725
Truth be told I've left my compass on for the pass few days for burn in, but it was fine up till now with no problems. I've tried restarting my comp, reopening foobar, using Directsound's USB DAC driver but it still hasn't done any good so far. I don't really have any other means to test the other inputs and I still need to find a screwdriver to try to see if its the HDAM's that might be the problem. I might leave it off and see what happens tomorrow. I really hope it's not something serious
confused_face.gif
The funny thing is that the computer is able to recognise the compass as a usb dac and foobar and asio4all seem to be working, its just that there's no music going through to my headphones
frown.gif

Edit: Thanks alot for the help so far. Its really helping me cope with having no compass now with people trying to think of ways where it might have gone wrong. Thank you very much!

May 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #7,341 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no

I don't know too may people that don't turn the Vol down before DC'ing their cans to keep from hitting the drivers with a LOUD POP.

May 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #7,343 of 7,725
Tell my this, I bought a new compass and a new pair of sennheiser HD650's. I have all music on my pc and sent to my airport express and fed into my compass via optical. I'm currently burning in using soft 2 and earth.

What i have noticed so far is that this combination seems to be lacking bass as another user pointed out earlier, Will the bass get better on the HD650's or should i get another pair of cans with better bass? Both headphones and compass only have around 20hrs on it so far and since both are new i'm wondering do they need a few hundred hours of burn in for the bass to improve

My Sony MDR V700 DJ actually sound better than the 650's and i'm wondering if i should have bought the denon D2000 or similar.

Also should i leave the foam where the OPAMP on the inside of the lid or take it off?

May 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #7,344 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sesonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell my this, I bought a new compass and a new pair of sennheiser HD650's. I have all music on my pc and sent to my airport express and fed into my compass via optical. I'm currently burning in using soft 2 and earth.

What i have noticed so far is that this combination seems to be lacking bass as another user pointed out earlier, Will the bass get better on the HD650's or should i get another pair of cans with better bass? Both headphones and compass only have around 20hrs on it so far and since both are new i'm wondering do they need a few hundred hours of burn in for the bass to improve

My Sony MDR V700 DJ actually sound better than the 650's and i'm wondering if i should have bought the denon D2000 or similar.

Also should i leave the foam where the OPAMP on the inside of the lid or take it off?

It depends on what you mean by lacking in bass... would you consider yourself a 'bass head'? What kind of music do you like? Do you like the subwoofer sound? The HD650s are actually pretty 'dark' - they have a decent amount of lower end, but they aren't boomy like a subwoofer. If you are someone who likes a whole lot of bass we can certainly recommend you some cans, but the HD650s are more natural than that - they don't have a bass emphasis. What kind of music are you listening to and what is it you're looking for?

Besides that, the bass gets tighter and punchier as the units break in, but I wouldn't say that there's more of it - it is just 'better'.

May 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #7,345 of 7,725
it's been 4 hours since i got my mine
biggrin.gif
I'd like to point out 2 things before posting my detailed impressions.

1) 6db gain is NOT enough for DT770/80 pro, 13db works much better in my experience

2) x-fi titanium owners fear not, this beast has no problems with gaming at all, i can use cmss3d EAX and openAL in bf2 kai ut2k4 just fine through my card's optical output, bye bye analog and crappy cirrus chips
biggrin.gif

I'll post more tommorow when i try the akg 601s and moon
biggrin.gif
btw i have no problems with bass quantity and impact at all, earth - neutral - 13db gain, thank you everybody for your informative posts, thank you kingwa currawong and the rest of audio-gd for making and selling this product.

May 25, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #7,346 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know too may people that don't turn the Vol down before DC'ing their cans to keep from hitting the drivers with a LOUD POP.

That is of course a matter of preference. There is no technical reason why you would be required to do so. When I'm switching cans I take the cans off before unplugging them.

May 25, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #7,347 of 7,725
Sesonic...read page 1, post # 1. That goes for any more with questions already covered in the FAQ/Review pages......take the time to read it and inform oneself.

Scottie I think he's experiencing a triple whammy, HDAM, Compass and HD650 burn in all at the same time. Since he didn't mention any hours of any piece of kit my assumption is is to treat this as everything he has is in dire need of time and burn in....600 hours ought to wrap up everything ...Sesonic the HD650's need 250-300 hrs, HDAM 350 hrs (ea module), Compass 600 hours. By the time you pass 400 hours on all three the SQ should be very different (much better) than it is right now. The last 200 hours of the Compass burn in process have sound stage, dynamics (macro and micro) and frequency spectrum extension improvement/refinements.

Sesonic and anyone else with similar questions please read the FAQ and reviews on Curra's excellent opening and ever evolving FAQ/Review page.

New acronym......right alongside RTFM is RTFFAQ
biggrin.gif
...infact

[size=xx-large]RTFFAQ[/size]......LOL.

Peete.

May 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #7,348 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Truth be told I've left my compass on for the pass few days for burn in

I left mine on for 2 weeks straight. There's an allan/hex key in the kit with your compass you can use to open the case. If you haven't already, check the HDAM is seated properly.

Have you accidentally turned on Super mode? Make sure the "S" button is out, not in. Also make sure you haven't switched inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sesonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The advice you were given by others is good. It depends on whether you want subwoofer-style bass (Denons) or just stronger and more punchy bass (a better amp).

I'd remove the foam, by the way.

May 26, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #7,349 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I turned mine on 6 weeks ago.

Mine certainly hasn't been powered-down since the start of March. I can't remember when I stopped swapping HDAM modules, but it was certainly before then.
smily_headphones1.gif

I received it the last week of January. I'd have realised the differences between the new and used Earth modules in early February, and done my final change 2-2.5 weeks after that.

It's safe to say it's currently "warmed up"
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

May 26, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #7,350 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by luminate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wondering. When switching cans, is it necessary to turn off the power or turn the volume down all the way?

I do this with any amps I own just for precaution...But I don't think it would be a big deal to leave it on.

BTW:

I am going to get the SA5000 soon and was wondering if you guys would recommend the OPA-Sun or OPA-Moon and what jumper settings would you guys recommend? I just have the Earth right now and was wondering if the brightness would be too overwhelming with the OPA-Earth or not.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back