The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #7,291 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTetragrammaton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately yes. My Compass is connected to Swans M200mkiii active speakers. When using pre out I get the hum when the volume on the Swans is 25% or higher. When using DAC out (with the Super button pressed in) there is absolutely no hum or hiss, even at 100% on the speakers.

So instead of using the preamp on the Compass, I now use the volume control on the speakers - UNLESS there is a fix? I've checked all cables etc., no problems there.

If anyone has contacted Kingwa on this, please inform us of the response. Otherwise I'll do it myself.

This is one of the reasons why I don't use the preamp on the Compass. I know others have said it was very good, but I don't think it is. The DAC OUT on the compass provides better sound quality to my ears. So much so that it was worth it to me to get a passive volume controller for my speakers because the volume knob is on the back of the powered speaker.

May 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #7,292 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the USB ASIO work with various media players? I primarily use Itunes right now, but sometimes use foobar, and have been considering moving to Media Monkey, so it would be nice if ASIO worked with all of them.

It works with mediamonkey, foobar, and windows media player (surprised at that lol), so it should work with ANYTHING that has ASIO support. In order to get iTunes to have ASIO support requires something like this ASIO Output with iTunes -- Multi-Plugin --

I don't feel like using iTunes so I can't help you more. Good luck.

May 22, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #7,293 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is one of the reasons why I don't use the preamp on the Compass. I know others have said it was very good, but I don't think it is. The DAC OUT on the compass provides better sound quality to my ears. So much so that it was worth it to me to get a passive volume controller for my speakers because the volume knob is on the back of the powered speaker.

I would go with how you're doing it. Why use 2 Pre-amps in series? That's what you are doing if you use the Compass Pre-Outs.

May 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #7,294 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTetragrammaton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately yes. My Compass is connected to Swans M200mkiii active speakers. When using pre out I get the hum when the volume on the Swans is 25% or higher. When using DAC out (with the Super button pressed in) there is absolutely no hum or hiss, even at 100% on the speakers.

So instead of using the preamp on the Compass, I now use the volume control on the speakers - UNLESS there is a fix? I've checked all cables etc., no problems there.

If anyone has contacted Kingwa on this, please inform us of the response. Otherwise I'll do it myself.

You have a ground loop. Try plugging everything into the same power strip and outlet.

Peete.

May 22, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #7,295 of 7,725
I have been reading extensively on this forum trying to break in to headphones and associated equipment from scratch. I am posting now for those who are interested in the degree of penetration of this collaboration between the forum and Audio-gd for the entry-level high end equipment. After researching on this forum for several weeks I purchased AKG K01 and the compass for audio-gd. It arrived yesterday in good condition (the package had been opened and resealed, U.S. customs I guess although they did not charge me anything). All three inputs work and I am burning in now on soft-2 and earth HDAM. I bought the sun and moon also. I have not tried those HDAMs yet but may try the sun soon due to issues reported of early failure.

I would like to take a moment to thank those on this forum who initiated this project and Kingwa for being so open to design input. Kudos to all involved in this surprisingly successful project.

Here was the timeline of my experience with audio-gd:

Date
05/03/09Request Pricing
05/05/09PayPal Payment Received
05/17/09DHL Shipping Notification to USA east coast
05/21/09Compass received

I have had no problems so far with the compass and am pleased with the sound at this early point.

I have had no success getting Kernel Streaming working from Foobar2K or Media Monkey from my laptop through USB so far. I have also had no success getting Otachan's ASIO .67(dll) working in either environment.

I tried the trial version of the Ploytec GmbH / usb-audio.de which appeared to work extremely well but it is hard to be sure with that annoying beat every 30 seconds. It seemed during the short time I tried it that I could not get any other type of sound working until I uninstalled it. I plan to try it again a little more rigorously.

I did run across an ASIO driver (I think it is a driver and not a software emulation ala ASIO4ALL) that I had not seen mentioned on this forum at ASIO2KS - Generic ASIO driver for WDM soundcards.. This is a freeware driver which worked fine on Media Monkey but I could not get it working on Foobar. One good point was I could get other types of connections working to the compass while this is installed. It allows me to A/B compare between Foobar2K using DS: USB Audio DAC and Media Monkey using ASIO Kernel-Streaming driver to the compass for particular passages in a song. My laptop is sounding really good with this driver although it is a beta version and may have stability problems.

May 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #7,296 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a ground loop. Try plugging everything into the same power strip and outlet.

Peete.

Thanks, but that's already done from the beginning.

EDIT: Preamp switch OFF - no hum. Preamp switch ON - hum.

May 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #7,297 of 7,725
Are you double amping the signal like Les suggested to another poster ? Do the Swan's expect a line level input (which is why it's fine with DAC line out) ? That might be the problem....do you have a preamp input on the Swan's ? My original response assumed you had already bypassed the internal preamp.

Peete.

EDIT: I'll go have a look at the Swan's site and see if I can give you an answer.

EDIT # 2: The site is next to useless...no back panel shot of the Master (panel). Could you post a pic of the master panel please on the back of the M200. I'll be able to tell you really quick if it has a preamp bypass on that panel. Basically you want to bypass the preamp in the Swans M200's and just use the amp sections (that includes losing the on board Vol & bass/treble controls which are a part of of the built in pre function) with the Compass preamp section. It's possible these speakers are only meant to be used with a line level out. I'll know soon enough with the pic.

May 22, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #7,298 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should help:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/as...nation-221237/

Hey , thanks , I got that to work ... the green play arrow icon is down there .
So, this is emulation of real ASIO ? Makes me wonder what the real thing sounds like ...not sure I wanna spend $60 on it if it's not a marked improvement over this ?

thanks again

May 22, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #7,299 of 7,725
FYI, Pete's good experience with the Compass as a pre-amp was with high-end hi-fi gear. Active speakers are a totally different thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #7,300 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Compass has also revealed to me that the bottleneck in my setup at this point is my iPod as my source... but I knew this would happen and it's one of the reasons I chose the compass... to take advantade of it's DAC section with a better source.

So that is what is coming next for me, probably in the form of an Apple TV or Mac Mini based music server feeding the Compass DAC and controlled remotely by my iPod Touch. At that point I will get to see what the DAC can do, but for now I will just enjoy the iPod through the Compass amp.

Same boat, but instead of a Mac Mini I ended up just getting Apple Airport Express and stream wirelessly from my desktop. $100, bit-perfect music anywhere in wifi range, even apple lossless. I also don't have to worry about keeping two music libraries in sync. The Airport outputs digital optical straight into the Compass DAC (with a cheap mini/optical adapter) which is how I'm feeding mine right now.

3555571194_d07f84caf9.jpg

May 23, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #7,301 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tumbleweed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same boat, but instead of a Mac Mini I ended up just getting Apple Airport Express and stream wirelessly from my desktop. $100, bit-perfect music anywhere in wifi range, even apple lossless. I also don't have to worry about keeping two music libraries in sync. The Airport outputs digital optical straight into the Compass DAC (with a cheap mini/optical adapter) which is how I'm feeding mine right now.

3555571194_d07f84caf9.jpg

Another great option there!

If my iTunes library was on a pc here at the house I would consider the AE for sure but since it resides on my work computer I think I want a standalone monitorless solution. I keep going back and forth between ATV and the mini though.. They both have their advantages.

May 23, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #7,302 of 7,725
Anyone have the Wadia 170i (with digital out) and tried it with the Compass ? I'm thinking this combo will be a great solution for the Cottage rather than lugging up a CDP and a pile of CD/CDR's....

The second question is how easy is it to hack the Ipod classic (160 gig) O/S so it will play back FLAC files (or does it already) ? I'm an Apple products noob precisely because of the LOD being strictly analog up until the 170i arrived...now it's a viable choice.

I really don't feel like recoding 150 gigs worth of files if I can help it.

Thanks for any info
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

EDIT: Thanks Les
smily_headphones1.gif
Cool...dual boot IPOD...

May 23, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #7,303 of 7,725
Quote:

Anyone have the Wadia 170i (with digital out) and tried it with the Compass ? I'm thinking this combo will be a great solution for the Cottage rather than lugging up a CDP and a pile of CD/CDR's....

The second question is how easy is it to hack the Ipod classic (160 gig) O/S so it will play back FLAC files (or does it already) ? I'm an Apple products noob precisely because of the LOD being strictly analog up until the 170i arrived...now it's a viable choice.

Thanks for any info
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Video: Free your iPod to play OGG and FLAC - Soa - Video-Free-your-iPod-to-play-OGG-and-FLAC - AppleSource

This is a Dual Boot Debian system

May 23, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #7,305 of 7,725
Quote:

Thanks for any info
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

EDIT: Thanks Les
smily_headphones1.gif
Cool...dual boot IPOD...

I believe the 160 iPOD is 6TH generation. Mine is. If that's the case. you can't Rockboxit yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back