The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #7,051 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Audio GD DAC19-MK3? That should be a big step up from the DAC section of the Compass.

I have the DAC19SE and not the 19MK3, I can assure you its quite a big step up from Compass DAC. DAC19MK3 is supposed to be an upgraded DAC19SE, so I am sure it should be even better..

May 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #7,052 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by samspotting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
controlling my a2 from the compass would be nifty, but the a2 has its own volume controls. What should I do, set a2 vol to mid or max and then control solely using compass?

I'm not using my Compass Preamp for my A2s. I found using the DAC OUT of the Compass sounds better. Of course, this meant I had to use the volume knob on the back of the A2s which is a PITA. So, after much research, I found an NHT Passive Volume Controller that works perfectly and was priced well. I have the volume on the A2s almost maxed out. The A2s sound better when their own volume control is almost maxed out.

Linky for the NHT PVC...
NHT PVC PC

May 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #7,053 of 7,725
I have eighty hours on my Compass with the Earth on Soft-2 in addition to the 100 hours of burn-in by Kingwa and Co. While I was listening on Wednesday afternoon, at some point the bass seemed to tighten up and become incredibly punchy. On my Sextetts, the opening drumline of "Mistaken for Strangers" by The National is now absolutely thunderous. Out of all my headphones, I think the Sextetts were the ones that improved the most from the inclusion Compass. I don't feel that they're better than my K500, but they've improved to the point at which I don't feel that the K500 is in a completely different class. As mentioned earlier, the bass became tighter and incredibly punchy. The imaging and soundstage also improved, becoming more 3D. They're still not as detailed and not nearly as clear, but they're not a headphone I can really live with now.

May 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #7,055 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidhogg22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone tell me how to use Foobar and ASIO4all with the Compass or link me to a guide please?

EDIT: No matter, I figured it out.

Would you mind posting a quick step guide so others can be directed to that to avoid others such as yourself having problems?

May 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #7,056 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree 100% with this sentiment. I left my D2000's alone until they had over 600hrs, and really liked them as is. But the MarkL mods are cheap if you DIY and completely reversible, so I decided to try them. I did the partial mods and I really liked the change in bass, a noticable tightning. Its still there but its more under control now. This gives the cans a better balance overall and improves the imaging.

I also just recently made a cheap replacement cable from Mogami mini star quad, due mostly to needing a slightly longer cable than stock. I was quite surprised that I could clearly hear an improvement in the high frequencies, a little smoother and more detailed. My wife even noticed the change. I was so excited by this I might try making another style cable just to compare the results.

My point is to not be afraid to experiment with mods, let your ears be your guide, just make sure you can undo the mod if you don't like it.

Mark

Thanks for the 600+ hour feedback on the Denon's. I was hoping the bass issues would settle/tighten naturally. I plan on DIY recabling my cans as well. While I have the Denon's open for that surgery, I'll go ahead and try the partial Markl mods too, thanks!

May 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #7,057 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it looks like my "final" Compass should be shipping today based on the email I just received confirming my address & phone #. Will be nice to finally see what the design looks like!

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. I appreciate all of the great work you did!

May 16, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #7,058 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the 600+ hour feedback on the Denon's. I was hoping the bass issues would settle/tighten naturally. I plan on DIY recabling my cans as well. While I have the Denon's open for that surgery, I'll go ahead and try the partial Markl mods too, thanks!

Everything does get better on the D2000's with burn in, but the bass issue never really goes away. Mind you its not bad and I could have lived with it and been quite happy. But after reading the MarkL threads, I just had to try it, and I was happy I did.

Good luck

Mark

Edit: Laidback, I just scanned the gear listed in your profile and I am seriously jealous
L3000.gif
What combo do you like best with you C-2C?

May 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #7,059 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind posting a quick step guide so others can be directed to that to avoid others such as yourself having problems?

Sure. I installed the foobar ASIO component and ASIO4All, then in Foobars Preferences option went to Output - ASIO Virtual Devices and added a new device, this being ASIO4All (this was what I didn't work out). Then in Output select ASIO:ASIO4All as the Output device and you're ready to go.

May 16, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #7,060 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything does get better on the D2000's with burn in, but the bass issue never really goes away. Mind you its not bad and I could have lived with it and been quite happy. But after reading the MarkL threads, I just had to try it, and I was happy I did.

Good luck

Mark

Edit: Laidback, I just scanned the gear listed in your profile and I am seriously jealous
L3000.gif
What combo do you like best with you C-2C?

Yeah, my Denon's have a decent amount of time on them, but probably not 600+ hours yet. My guesstimate would be 400-500 hours. I've been rotating cans and genres a lot. I'm glad you confirmed that the last piece of the puzzle(the bass) will probably not automagically fall into place. I've been patiently waiting and I really like these cans, but at times it's obvious the bass could/should be tighter...

LOL, don't be jealous at all, my wallet has been begging God to live, and I haven't had the heart to tell it there's a lot left to go in my upgrade path. I will be splitting my gear between home and office. Plus, the amount of gear listed in my profile is literally nothing compared to many, many, many members on head-fi...the gear I see listed in signatures/profiles is simply jaw-dropping. Anyway, one thing out of many that amazes me about the A-GD gear is the strong synergy it has with everything I've plugged into it. Seriously, it all sounds really, really good. I think that alone is a serious quality and compliment to this gear. I basically just select cans and genres based on my mood, not concerned about gear synergy at all, because it has been proven to be there. To me, that's the ultimate point of this hobby, to just get lost in the incredible quality sound/music. I've lost count of how many times I've had those "cans disappearing from my head" moments that you hear guys talk about. I spend the least amount of time with my Senns, but that was happening before I got the A-GD gear, that's just a personal "flavor" preference at this point in time...

May 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #7,062 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
side note to Laidback: there's talk about a meet in Austin soon hopefully. Hopefully you can bring some of your gear down

Thanks for the heads-up, Austin's a great/fun city. I last visited in the fall for ACL. Any idea on timeframe? Has a thread been started yet?

Have you seen the lineup for the 09' ACL, it's already looking good:
Austin City Limits Music Festival : October 2-4, 2009 : Austin, TX : Zilker Park

May 16, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #7,064 of 7,725
Could somebody compare the sound quality of
1. Compass
2. C2C
3. Heed CanAmp
I am at a loss what to buy. I am only interested in the headphone amplifier part of the Compass. My cans are AKG K701.
TIA

May 16, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #7,065 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could somebody compare the sound quality of
1. Compass
2. C2C
3. Heed CanAmp
I am at a loss what to buy. I am only interested in the headphone amplifier part of the Compass. My cans are AKG K701.
TIA

I have never auditioned the Heed CanAmp, so I can't help you there. I own both the Compass and C-2C. If you have no need for devoting a portion of your investment toward a DAC, then I would strongly suggest maximizing your amp investment with the C-2C, it's a very strong performer. I have no idea how much longer it will be available for $335 + ~$50 shipping, but IMO that's an amazing value. There has been a lot of C-2C feedback surfacing on head-fi, check it out and compare it to the CanAmp feedback and comparisons. I too get frustrated at times with not being able to audition the gear that I'm interested in. I don't own AKG K70X, but it seems like the members with the C-2C and K70X are very pleased with the synergy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back