The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 11, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #6,842 of 7,725
I've got most of the residue off by just rubbing my thumb across the residue and sort of rolling it off....but still some left that's stubborn..

That Goo-Gone stuff would prolly work, I'm hesitant to try Lacquer Thinner as it may harm the finish.

Figures that I'll be out of town all day tomorrow & day after so I won't be able to listen to the compass...
angry_face.gif

Tons of clarity & detail ...amazing! Bass response is excellent!

May 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #6,843 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol also works. Try not to rub off the silkscreened box while you're at it.

That worked, thanks!

May 11, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #6,844 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, Bartoli is quite amazing. Another mezzo I love is Bernada Fink. I'd suggest checking out her recent Bach Solo Cantatas recording for starters although most of her output is extraordinary. Being a Harmonia Mundi recording, it's a bit pricey, but the jaw dropping sound quality is worth every penny.

Johann Sebastian Bach: Solo Cantatas

Although not a mezzo-soprano, Veronique Gens is amazing as well. She is breathtaking in Dido & Aeneas, but I'm not sure if you a fan of opera in general though.

Purcell - Dido & Aeneas / Gens, Marin-Degor, N. Berg, Brua, Daneman, Fouchécourt, Méchaly, Les Arts Florissants, Christie

I've haven't spent much time with opera. Bartoli was a huge eye-opener, I'm very interested in exploring. Thanks a lot for the info, I ordered the discs that you recommended...

May 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #6,845 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've haven't spent much time with opera. Bartoli was a huge eye-opener, I'm very interested in exploring. Thanks a lot for the info, I ordered the discs that you recommended...

And baroque and classical opera is just the start. Wait 'till you get to Wagner!
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #6,846 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gilency, I really need to thank you for bringing Cecilia Bartoli's Mozart Arias to my attention. Bartoli is virgin territory for me and I couldn't be any more impressed, she is totally amazing!! I don't know if you've purchased the 1996 version of the Mozart Arias yet, but I highly recommend doing so, it's pure quality/beauty...

I really like Bartoli's "The Vivaldi Album" too. I've ordered more of her cd's along w/ her concert dvd's today. She's a freak of nature, a genius, she's very, very special...

I have around 200 hours on my Compass now. I haven't experienced any harsh/sibilant moments with Bartoli and the 880's. She is just so dynamic and powerful though, almost blowing the cans off of my head at times. I absolutely love her work, but I do need to keep an eye on the volume with her. There is no doubt she can push the best gear on the planet. Even though she is classified as mezzo, she has probably shattered many glasses in her day...
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I'm still listening to this Bartoli material, but w/ my Grado's now. It's simply breathtaking. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

and thank you for telling me about used CD's in Amazon. I am listening to my main speakers with the Compass connected to my iBook. Beautiful. I have transfered about 600 CD's into Apple Losseless so far. No need to dig into my CD's to look for certain piece. While the Apple TV is probably nice, the old iBook I had around the house fits the bill.
The Compass completed the circle.

May 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #6,847 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And baroque and classical opera is just the start. Wait 'till you get to Wagner!
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm interested, please recommend some of your favorites when you have a chance. PM might be best to avoid further OT on the thread...

May 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #6,849 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tip me on how to set the Compass to work in Windows XP for all sounds, and not only foobar music? I don't have to set anything when using optical, but for USB obviously the USB DAC must be a default output device.

Even though I set it in Sound and Audio Devices I still don't get any sound elsewhere except in foobar.

The ASIO drivers erases the windows USB drivers. Therefore, The ASIO drivers will work only with programs which can utilize ASIO. Foobar can utilize ASIO. Window media player, Adobe flash player, etc (i.e. all the computer programs you normally use) will not work with ASIO.

Basically, you made your computer an audio file server for foobar, no other audio will work.

The people advocating ASIO are using dedicated audio file server computers, like your is now.

This was reported in this thread, but you had to read carefully.

Interesting that the people pushing ASIO don't respond to your problem.

May 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #6,850 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just ordered the used one of Head-fi for $365 including the Earth OPA and the upgraded power cable!

That was a good catch! Makes you wonder why someone would unload a Compass so quick . It is superb, flexible gear.

May 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #6,851 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was a good catch! Makes you wonder why someone would unload a Compass so quick . It is superb, flexible gear.

Well if it doesn't synergize with your setup I would sell it asap to keep its value, Ya know?

May 11, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #6,853 of 7,725
My Compass arrived this morning in perfect condition. I've yet the opportunity to listen to it because a working at my dorm's front desk signed for it, forcing me to wait until my mail room opened. The build quality of this unit is superb - it feels like a brick. After opening up my package, I set it to neutral with the Earth. Now, I'm gonna pop in some music. The only question left is K500 or Sextetts?

EDIT: An amusing fact for me due to my screen name was is that the package was from Bamboo Logistics Solutions

May 12, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #6,855 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ASIO drivers erases the windows USB drivers. Therefore, The ASIO drivers will work only with programs which can utilize ASIO. Foobar can utilize ASIO. Window media player, Adobe flash player, etc (i.e. all the computer programs you normally use) will not work with ASIO.

Basically, you made your computer an audio file server for foobar, no other audio will work.

The people advocating ASIO are using dedicated audio file server computers, like your is now.

This was reported in this thread, but you had to read carefully.

Interesting that the people pushing ASIO don't respond to your problem.

Yep, I had the same problem when I installed Ploytec USB-ASIO. I use ASIO4ALL now and don't have the problem anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back