The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 10, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #6,814 of 7,725
On paper this machine (along with the Yulong Mark ii) looks incredible!

Any measurements available on the output sensitivity of the pre-amp section?

At the moment I'm running two headamps from tapeouts from an NAD C355 BEE and want to bin these in place of a pre-amp which doubles as a head amp {to keep the connections between the sources and headphones a lot shorter}.

These are the NAD C355 "main in" specifications:
-input impedance of 20 k ohms
-input sensitivity of 954 mv at 20k ohms

I'd need (a) a line output impedance of 2 k ohms or less and (b) output sensitivity of 400 - 500mv into 20 k ohms or 200 - 250 mv into 10k ohms or 800mv to 1v into 50 k ohms.

May 10, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #6,815 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On paper this machine (along with the Yulong Mark ii) looks incredible!

At the moment I'm running two headamps from tapeouts from an NAD C355 BEE and want to bin these in place of a pre-amp which doubles as a head amp {to keep the connections between the sources and headphones a lot shorter}.

These are the NAD C355 "main in" specifications:
-input impedance of 20 k ohms
-input sensitivity of 954 mv at 20k ohms

I'd need (a) a line output impedance of 2 k ohms or less and (b) output sensitivity of 400 - 500mv into 20 k ohms or 200 - 250 mv into 10k ohms or 800mv to 1v into 50 k ohms.

I've had both, and this Blows the Yulong away. Also the Yulong has had Tranfo hum issues and ground loop hum issues.

May 10, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #6,816 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Email Kingwa (same email address that's on their site) and ask him. It's a good question.

May 10, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #6,817 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then the question is what makes one DAC sound different to another? Is it more the output stage which makes the difference?

There's a school of thought that believes the op amps have more impact on the sound than anything else.

If you think jitter makes much of a difference, see if you can get a straight answer to a very simple question: assuming we're talking about levels of jitter that are not so horrible as to cause bit errors, what does digital jitter sound like when it gets converted to analog audio? I have yet to receive a plausible answer to that question from anyone, whether audiophile or high end equipment manufacturer.

May 10, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #6,818 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<<SNIP>>
If you think jitter makes much of a difference, see if you can get a straight answer to a very simple question: assuming we're talking about levels of jitter that are not so horrible as to cause bit errors, what does digital jitter sound like when it gets converted to analog audio? I have yet to receive a plausible answer to that question from anyone, whether audiophile or high end equipment manufacturer.

Absolutely! Maybe some of the contributors in this thread who have claimed to hear Jitter will Pipe In.

May 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #6,820 of 7,725
May 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #6,822 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duh! The plugs have the magnets.

And aren't they actually intended for electric guitars and the like too? I must say I've often looked at them and wondered how they would work for headphones. I might try someday.

May 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #6,823 of 7,725
I wonder how many mating cycles the average human is rated for ? The Neutrik has 10K lifetime according to the Technical spec sheet
tongue_smile.gif

As for the Phoenix...when it's done. I'd rather Kingwa take as much time as he needs for it (for obvious reasons
smily_headphones1.gif
) to get it just the way he wants it.

Peete.

May 10, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #6,824 of 7,725
Does anyone have experience with the Compass and the upperline of Sennheiser Cans? (HD 580, HD 600 or Hd 650). I would like to know how they perform with the Compass.

May 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #6,825 of 7,725
The compass sounds really good with my hd580s. It actually sounds better than I was expecting. I think you'll be happy. It will be a significant step up from what you have in you signature, both your amp and sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back