The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 6, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #6,661 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shipping page is updated once the packages are send to the DHL office. You'll get an email with the tracking number once Audio-gd receives those numbers, which can be a day later.

Okay, thanks. I was so excited I got ice cream to celebrate. When both my Lambda setup and my Compass get here, I'll be in for a serious ride.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #6,664 of 7,725
This might have been covered in this thread earlier, sorry for not wanting to read through 450 pages
smily_headphones1.gif

Currently I am running my HD600s with computer USB -> MuFi V-DAC -> Graham Slee Novo. Mostly FLACs an mp3@320. Sound is very "Senn-like", awesome bass extension, very detailed and balanced mids and highs are there too. They sound a bit muffled though. Cranking the volume to "my head explodes" -level helps a bit with the muffling, but gives me headache
smily_headphones1.gif

So the two questions are:

1) would Compass go well with HD600s and help with the muffled sound?
2) has anyone compared Compass to GS Novo and what are the impressions?

if this is covered already, You can also point me the post number or correct thread
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #6,665 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if audio-gd updates their consignment page or sends out emails first. I ordered a Compass two weeks ago and there's a person with my name, country, and shipping service on the new consignment list, but I haven't received an email yet. It's pretty safe to assume it's mine because the chances of someone buying a Compass with my first name, living in the same country, and buying it around the same time as me is pretty low, but I just want to make sure before I get too excited.

There were once three people from my same country with my name (it's not a common one) listed on the consignment page at a time when it would have made sense for my unit to be heading out- none of them were me. Sorry, it's not you on the consignment page.
frown.gif
You'll get an email when it is.

May 6, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #6,668 of 7,725
How exactly "sound DIY" realized? What those jumpers do? Commutate different resistors adding to output impedance to vary sound? I'm quite confused by it and can't say i like this function... Care to elaborate?

Also, it's interesting how Compass compare to Meier Cantate..

May 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #6,670 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly "sound DIY" realized? What those jumpers do? Commutate different resistors adding to output impedance to vary sound? I'm quite confused by it and can't say i like this function... Care to elaborate?

Also, it's interesting how Compass compare to Meier Cantate..

Quite a few popular headphones, such as Grados and Beyers, people find that the treble is fatiguing and irritating, so the soft settings were added. IIRC connecting the jumpers adds caps into the signal path. It's not my kind of thing either, but it's a lot easier for people in this budget range to do than spend a lot of time and money buying and selling headphones and gear to find satisfaction.

May 6, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #6,674 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my tracking number but it doesn't look like any info has been updated for it yet. Does that sound about right for the rest of the people that got their numbers?

There's a decent chance you will have it in hand before anything useful shows up on tracking.

May 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #6,675 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ANyone in the Portland oregon area with a compass or any audio GD stuff..? I would love to have a listen.

I'm up in the North Seattle area, if you ever get up here. I just have the Compass running off a Dell laptop USB with my Denon D2000's.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back