The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #6,571 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a different note: I'm thinking about getting a plexiglass sheet and cutting it down to the size of the Compass' lid... Thoughts?

I agree with Drosera, you may have heating issues, but I don't think it should be a problem. But it's an awesome idea and should make it look great. Let us know how it goes!

May 2, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #6,572 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laidback: Glad yours has finally arrived and you're enjoying it.

I've put a recommendation towards using EMS in the FAQ (which is cheaper anyway). I've also changed the description of Normal and Super modes. If people could have a look and tell me what you think it'd be much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really nice work on the Normal/Super mode diagrams,Currawong. I was wanting to test out how sound from iPod-> Compass was last night and figured out that was what the Super button was for.

BTW, on my system, RCA line-in has left/right channels reversed. Anybody else notice this?

May 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #6,573 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 'Morse code' you're referring to is EMI:

wZ9itQJ6i28

Starguard, ecclesand, what cell phone model are you using? Are you on a GSM provider? Lots of variables in play i.e., location to cell tower base stations, GSM vs. CDMA, quality of EM shielding. I'm on CDMA and haven't had any interference issues.

I would have checked in sooner, but Friday night is movie night at home with the Mrs. I have a GSM provider. It sucks because I work from home and use my cellphone for work so it has to stay on the desk next to me. The good thing is I don't hear it thru my headphones at all which means the Compass is blocking the interference. I used to hear it with my previous setup, but it was VERY faint.

I need to do some research to determine how to fix it. Oh, and I have a Motorola Razr phone.

May 2, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #6,574 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have checked in sooner, but Friday night is movie night at home with the Mrs. I have a GSM provider. It sucks because I work from home and use my cellphone for work so it has to stay on the desk next to me. The good thing is I don't hear it thru my headphones at all which means the Compass is blocking the interference. I used to hear it with my previous setup, but it was VERY faint.

I need to do some research to determine how to fix it. Oh, and I have a Motorola Razr phone.

I hear this at work all the time. It is definitely worst with Blackberries... at work I have powered desk monitors (M-Audio Studio Pro 4) and a small recording booth (for voice recording) -- I hear it thru both. I am constantly reminding people to turn off their blackberries when in or even near my office because it often screws up the recordings. It's very annoying and I've yet to find a solution for it. Luckily I've never heard it at home thru any of my equipment - then again I don't have a blackberry.

May 2, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #6,575 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear this at work all the time. It is definitely worst with Blackberries... at work I have powered desk monitors (M-Audio Studio Pro 4) and a small recording booth (for voice recording) -- I hear it thru both. I am constantly reminding people to turn off their blackberries when in or even near my office because it often screws up the recordings. It's very annoying and I've yet to find a solution for it. Luckily I've never heard it at home thru any of my equipment - then again I don't have a blackberry.

I have a Palm Treo and my Active Monitors remind me when it gets within about 2 feet of one of the Monitors. Bumble Bees in the speaker!

May 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #6,576 of 7,725
i have already paid for my compass several days ago but he keeps pushing the dates forward. He says it will be sent 4th May. Also the website is not working for me.

Why are they doing this?

May 2, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #6,577 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have already paid for my compass several days ago but he keeps pushing the dates forward. He says it will be sent 4th May. Also the website is not working for me.

Why are they doing this?

When did you place the order??.. I am asking because a week or so ago, they posted in their website that the lead time would be 2 weeks.

website seems to be working fine for me (just checked).

May 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #6,578 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you place the order??.. I am asking because a week or so ago, they posted in their website that the lead time would be 2 weeks.

website seems to be working fine for me (just checked).

About 2 weeks or more ago?

By the way how does compass sound in a hifi ?

I am not using headphones but will be using it straight into a power amp.

May 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #6,579 of 7,725
Quote:

Well then I guess its not too bad as far as delivery schedule goes.

As for Compass as preamp in a Hi-fi setup, quite a few folks including Peete who did a very detailed review of Compass, found Compass exceed expectations when used as a preamp, so I dont think you will be disappointed.

EDIT - You will find a very detailed review of Compass as a preamp here :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5420063-post2019.html

Its an epic review - if you don't have the time you can just read the preamp section, although I advise to read all..

May 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #6,580 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, the more I read of this unit the more I want one. Too bad I have way too many amps/dacs laying aroung. It sure looks good!

I'd be happy to take an amp or too off your hands so you can get yourself a compass :p

May 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #6,581 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by joewatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice work on the Normal/Super mode diagrams,Currawong. I was wanting to test out how sound from iPod-> Compass was last night and figured out that was what the Super button was for.

BTW, on my system, RCA line-in has left/right channels reversed. Anybody else notice this?

Yes, for some reason, it was designed with the right above left, in reverse of convention.

Quote:

pete: I don't want to be harsh, but you seem to ask a lot of questions that I've gone to great lengths to answer in the FAQ. I suggest you head to the reviews section and read some of them, if you haven't already. If you had read everything in the first place, your questions would have been answered already.

As for the delay, I gather they are extremely busy right now. Despite that, Kingwa has said he wont compromise quality at all, so if that means another week or two delay, it at least means you will get a quality unit in the end.

May 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #6,583 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Compass DAC and amp both sound great!! I'm also running the Compass DAC into the C2C amp. Those that are interested in a standalone amp should seriously consider the C2C, it's a VERY high-quality amp.

My gear has very few hours on it, so I'll wait on going into granular detail until it has burned-in/matured for a while. Again, my initial impressions couldn't be any more positive, this is very high-quality gear. I've have seen several people(even in Skylab's review) ask about the synergy w/ Beyer cans. IMO, it's FANTASTIC. I've ran both Compass and C2C with DT880 and DT990, the synergy with both is incredible, I'm looking forward to spending many hours taking all of this gear through the paces, pure audio nirvana!! I have A TON OF HUGE positives to report, but out of respect for the head-fi community, I'm simply waiting for some basic burn-in before rambling on about the details...
icon10.gif

LaidBack, good to hear you're enjoying the Compass and C2C with the beyers. I'm favoring the Earth-Neutral jumper arrangement as the permanent setup. Interested to hear your impressions on how the Compass compares with the C2C with your DT880/250s along with the DT880/600s and DT990/600s. Boy, it must be Christmas season!
beyersmile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Palm Treo and my Active Monitors remind me when it gets within about 2 feet of one of the Monitors. Bumble Bees in the speaker!

Have you guys tried replicating the buzz with CDMA devices? I believe there's something inherent in CDMA technology that eliminates/reduces the buzz.

May 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #6,584 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if am not not wrong, China is having their annual labour day holidays from 1st to 3rd May

Yes, it's Labor Day holidays in China: International Workers' Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Here's my earlier post on China's 2009 public holidays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a list of China's 2009 public holidays that you can check out (2009 China Public Holidays announced) and plan your future orders.

ChinaPublicHolidays.jpg

Also, the delays will be amplified by using EMS i.e., govt entity = public holidays, and EMS's outbound port is Shanghai and not HK.

May 3, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #6,585 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...As for the delay, I gather they are extremely busy right now. Despite that, Kingwa has said he wont compromise quality at all, so if that means another week or two delay, it at least means you will get a quality unit in the end...

X2. The A-GD gear I received is absolutely perfect. Waiting a couple of weeks for hand-made quality is nothing, this gear should be enjoyed for years and years to come...

Speaking of being patient, I told myself I was going to throw my Compass into soft-2 mode today and just let it burn-in for a couple of weeks. Well, that hasn't happened yet. I still have it in neutral(w/ Earth OPA) and I can't stop listening to it. I have it feeding the C2C as well, both are a really nice ride...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back