The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 2, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #6,556 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds very much like a noise I hear from my A2 speakers. I found it happens only when I leave my cell phone on my desk near the speakers. I'm dead serious. Is your cell phone near your Compass?

You're the winner! That's exactly what it is.

I can't believe I didn't think of that--my old set up picked up cell phone interference and even my guitar amp picks up this signal. Weird!

(PS--sent you a PM about the A2s)

May 2, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #6,557 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're the winner! That's exactly what it is.

I can't believe I didn't think of that--my old set up picked up cell phone interference and even my guitar amp picks up this signal. Weird!

(PS--sent you a PM about the A2s)

The 'Morse code' you're referring to is EMI:

wZ9itQJ6i28

Starguard, ecclesand, what cell phone model are you using? Are you on a GSM provider? Lots of variables in play i.e., location to cell tower base stations, GSM vs. CDMA, quality of EM shielding. I'm on CDMA and haven't had any interference issues.

May 2, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #6,558 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 'Morse code' you're referring to is EMI:

wZ9itQJ6i28

Starguard, ecclesand, what cell phone model are you using? Are you on a GSM provider? Lots of variables in play i.e., location to cell tower base stations, GSM vs. CDMA, quality of EM shielding. I'm on CDMA and haven't had any interference issues.

I have an iPhone. Like I said, it doesn't happen much at all and I'm not really concerned about it.

On a different note: I'm thinking about getting a plexiglass sheet and cutting it down to the size of the Compass' lid... Thoughts?

May 2, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #6,560 of 7,725
Quote:

On a different note: I'm thinking about getting a plexiglass sheet and cutting it down to the size of the Compass' lid... Thoughts?

You'd lose some shielding doing it, but might be worth doing for fun if it doesn't cause the Compass to pick up more EMI.

May 2, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #6,561 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried a different optical cable?

Actually... what bitrate are your sources?

~Phewl.

It's a good thing you mentioned this. This morning my compass couldnt decode 96khz optical output. I couldnt figure out why. Now it is having no problems with it though. I wouldnt have known that it can read it now if you hadnt brought it up. Although I do wonder why it couldnt decode it this morning. Maybe part of the burn-in process?

Oh, and about me thinking the preamp switch was mounted in the wrong orientation. I had asked for the preamp switch to be mounted in front of the unit when I ordered. When I first got it yesterday, I thought that they had forgotten because all of the switches were in their correct places. It didnt bother me that much, I was just glad to have it. What they actually did is give the super button the preamp switching function and the preamp switch in back was given the super button functionality. This is really convenient. Although it would have been helpful if they had tried to explain this to me. Now that I have figured it out though, I don't care.

Just passed 24 hours, I'm absolutely loving this thing. Im getting really low running temps too, about 103 degF. I cant wait to see what tomorrow brings.

May 2, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #6,562 of 7,725
Quote:

I have an iPhone. Like I said, it doesn't happen much at all and I'm not really concerned about it.

Yeah I have thoughts about that.

Genius!

May 2, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #6,563 of 7,725
Just got my Compass today, in perfect condition. Have not tried the optical or coaxial yet but the USB sound good. I have all the jumpers in to allow them to burn in together. The overall sound is bright and harsh. I only hope it will improve over time. The overall quality of this DAC/amplifier is very solid. I connected it to my home amplifier and speakers to use it with my music server (an old iBook G4). I will put up with the harsh sound for a while otherwise I will just change to a softer sound.

May 2, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #6,564 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I contacted DHL and sent an email to Kingwa, I have full confidence that he will make things right.

Well, I received my replacement gear today and I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED with Audio-GD's service and products. Audio-gd actually had the shipment at my locale 2 days ago, but due to a really busy week on my part, I missed the DHL rep on his initial attempt...

Both vendors and customers always want things to go perfectly. Sometimes in life, we all know that $hit happens from time to time. Kingwa and Cherry @ Audio-gd did an amazing job of rapidly correcting an unfortunate situation, I thank them very much for their outstanding service!!!

As for the products, well I must say that I'm totally blown away. My gear showed up perfectly packed in boxes with foam and protective wrap in 110% flawless condition. I have read just about every post on this huge thread. Based on all of the positive feedback, I expected the gear to sound great, that's why I ordered it.
icon10.gif
Right out of the box it has exceeded all of my expectations, I'm blown away, it's pure quality!!!

The Compass DAC and amp both sound great!! I'm also running the Compass DAC into the C2C amp. Those that are interested in a standalone amp should seriously consider the C2C, it's a VERY high-quality amp.

My gear has very few hours on it, so I'll wait on going into granular detail until it has burned-in/matured for a while. Again, my initial impressions couldn't be any more positive, this is very high-quality gear. I've have seen several people(even in Skylab's review) ask about the synergy w/ Beyer cans. IMO, it's FANTASTIC. I've ran both Compass and C2C with DT880 and DT990, the synergy with both is incredible, I'm looking forward to spending many hours taking all of this gear through the paces, pure audio nirvana!! I have A TON OF HUGE positives to report, but out of respect for the head-fi community, I'm simply waiting for some basic burn-in before rambling on about the details...
icon10.gif

**** DHL WARNING *****
As I stated in my first paragraph, I missed the initial delivery attempt. I was very firm about "signature required". When the driver showed up today, he told me that on Wednesday, he was going door to door in my neighborhood trying to find a neighbor to sign for my packages...What???????? I told him, if you ever deliver to me again, don't EVER do that again!!!! Simply incredible. The customer should be the only one to EVER release signature/receipt liability. This is not a knock on Audio-gd at all. If DHL is delivering to you make sure your delivery terms are absolutely clear with them !!!

May 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #6,565 of 7,725
Laidback: Glad yours has finally arrived and you're enjoying it.

I've put a recommendation towards using EMS in the FAQ (which is cheaper anyway). I've also changed the description of Normal and Super modes. If people could have a look and tell me what you think it'd be much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #6,566 of 7,725
Quote:

Hell yeah, I wanna do that to!
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #6,567 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laidback: Glad yours has finally arrived and you're enjoying it.

I've put a recommendation towards using EMS in the FAQ (which is cheaper anyway). I've also changed the description of Normal and Super modes. If people could have a look and tell me what you think it'd be much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, that's a very nice diagram you have there for the Super mode. Just a glance and I totally understand what the Super button does. Thanks.

May 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #6,568 of 7,725
Quote:

It's a nice idea cosmetically, certainly if you're using the Sun opamp. One thing to keep in mind though is that the whole of the Compass casing works as a big heatsink. Replacing the lid with plexiglass may lead to your Compass getting hotter. (But probably not problematically so.)

May 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #6,569 of 7,725
hi, a question... How long does it usually take between shipping and receiving it here in the uk. i got the first sign of posting on the 30th april tracked with ems. Anyone have a rough idea?

2009-04-30 15:18:00 SHANGHAI Posting
  2009-04-30 18:04:00 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center
  2009-05-01 06:07:20 SHANGHAI Arrival at Sorting Center
  2009-05-01 07:37:20 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center

May 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #6,570 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by qib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, a question... How long does it usually take between shipping and receiving it here in the uk. i got the first sign of posting on the 30th april tracked with ems. Anyone have a rough idea?

2009-04-30 15:18:00 SHANGHAI Posting
  2009-04-30 18:04:00 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center
  2009-05-01 06:07:20 SHANGHAI Arrival at Sorting Center
  2009-05-01 07:37:20 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center

if am not not wrong, China is having their annual labour day holidays from 1st to 3rd May

Users who are viewing this thread

Back