The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 30, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #6,436 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still like my mingda amp better than the compass amp, but it's not totally outclassed by it. If my mingda was a ferrari, the compass would be a corvette.

Could you say which headphone you use? And wich MingDa?
I appreciate your comments.

Can someone please confirm that one can use its DAC and PreAmp at the same time? It is not clear (bad English) to me in FAQ.
icon10.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #6,437 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers lads.

Just out of curiosity...
why is it that i need a 220v, where as people in the states only need 120v?

Because you have 220V coming out of your power points in the UK (same as Aussies). People in the USA have 110V coming out of theirs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The dac is pretty much what I was expecting, but what did catch me by surprise was the preamp. The preamp section blew me away. This thing is able to drive my mingda tube amp like only my 1500.00 receiver could ever dream of. And sound great doing it. My mingda sounds better than it ever had. I really wasn't expecting anything like this to happen. Wow what a bonus. If I was grading everything on a word scale from average, good, very good, and great; I would have to say that the dac is good, the amp is very good, and the preamp is borderling great.

Peete was pretty impressed with the Compass as a pre-amp as well. It's turned out as an unexpected surprise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone please confirm that one can use its DAC and PreAmp at the same time? It is not clear (bad English) to me in FAQ.
icon10.gif

Thanks very much. :p

That's why I used pictures. But to answer your question, yes. When "Super" mode is on, everything still works, just separately. You could actually connect the DAC output sockets to the HP amp input sockets and it would work as normal.

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #6,438 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you say which headphone you use? And wich MingDa?
I appreciate your comments.

icon10.gif

I have the mingda mc84co7. The headphones I have are: sennheiser hd580, akg240 sextett LP, and the beyer dt770/80, and yes you can use the preamp and the dac at the same time.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #6,439 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same on Mine, they explained it though. My City was wrong but the zip was correct. What I was told is that the City is a DHL hub.

I'm workin' on gettin' that YES up for ya.

Yup, they explained the same to me. I saw the wrong city and I was about to freak out... Man--after 2 weeks with my Denon 2000s I'm excited to see how they open up.

And I'm pumped about this Yes inbound.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #6,440 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, they explained the same to me. I saw the wrong city and I was about to freak out... Man--after 2 weeks with my Denon 2000s I'm excited to see how they open up.

And I'm pumped about this Yes inbound.

I've got D5000s and they slam pretty good with the Compass.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #6,441 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine too with the Earth HDAM. I tested my original Earth HDAM and the extra Moon HDAM and both work. The fit and finish on this unit is very nice! Of course, I'll have to listen to it more to get an idea of the sound quality but my initial impressions are it's going to be very good.

Let me be the first (OK, maybe the 10th or 20th) to say that Kingwa is truly a man of his word. When faced with a problem, he stepped up and delivered. Now that I have experienced the Compass and Audio-gd's great service first-hand I can say Hat's Off to Kingwa!

I'm saying nothing. Though I'm glad you're now happy
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #6,442 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you have 220V coming out of your power points in the UK (same as Aussies). People in the USA have 110V coming out of theirs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Officially, we're 230v+10%/-6%. Though little has changed since we went down from 240v+/-6%, so most places read ~240v. I've just checked mine, and am seeing 238/239v.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #6,443 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

I was thinking the same thing....

Peete.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #6,445 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

X2

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #6,447 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much. :p

That's why I used pictures. But to answer your question, yes. When "Super" mode is on, everything still works, just separately. You could actually connect the DAC output sockets to the HP amp input sockets and it would work as normal.

Sorry, I meant my English is bad (as you can see now).
redface.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #6,448 of 7,725
Quote:

The dac is pretty much what I was expecting, but what did catch me by surprise was the preamp. The preamp section blew me away.

That's great to hear because I intend to use mine as a dac out/preamp to my tube amp and speaker kit. Headphone listening will be secondary. Will be trying out the Earth and the Moon HDAMs as well.

I'm curious as to who else is using the Compass like this. Is your impression that the preamp out sounds better than the dac out?

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #6,449 of 7,725
Got mine today. So the difference at first anyway doesn't seem large at all, but I guess that's to be expected and I'll give it some more time before I make any conclusions. Biggest obvious difference is it's completely non-fatiguing, nothing sounds harsh any more.

Running it through USB at the moment, but can't seem to get coaxial/optical to work. With USB, I connected it, it recognised the device through XP and I was able to get it work by selecting USB Audio DAC as the output type in Foobar. Do I have to do anything special for coaxial/optical? I've connected it to "SPDIF out" on my mobo, which I'm guessing is correct.

Also I'm surprised by people saying they barely use the volume dial. Using high gain with the HD600s, I can max out the volume and still feel like I need more headway with quieter, older recordings.

EDIT - Actually wait no, now that I'm using ASIO what people say about 9 o'clock being the highest bearable is about right.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #6,450 of 7,725
If it is completely non-fatiguing or harsh sounding, that IS a big difference. That alone is worth the money in my mind. Getting rid of digital hash without giving up dynamics or detail is well worth the asking price. I'm really hoping the Ref 1 just blow me out of the water in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back