The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 26, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #6,226 of 7,725
Shouldn't much, but - IMO - the louder, the better. If it's feeding an external amplifier, then crank it up. If you're doing it through headphones, stick them in the sock drawer...
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #6,227 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummer1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all,i got the compass. how does the hd650 sound with this? thank you.

It's good with HD-600s so HD-650s will be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidhogg22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers. Also does it matter how high/low the volume is?

I don't think it greatly matters, just don't blow up your headphones whatever you do.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #6,231 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sigh...ridiculous...should've waited to buy it...

I just sent an email to them asking when our replacements will ship.

EDIT: Per Kingwa, they will be shipped this afternoon (China time). Good News!

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #6,233 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That still makes our effective lead time like 1 1/2 month while others who order two weeks ago already have it in their homes.

I know. I try not to think of it that way because if I do, I get really ticked.
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #6,234 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidhogg22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers. Also does it matter how high/low the volume is?

I recollect asking Kingwa this question when I received my Compass, he said volume set around 9 o' clock would be fine..
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sent an email to them asking when our replacements will ship.

EDIT: Per Kingwa, they will be shipped this afternoon (China time). Good News!

That is a good news, and I hope you guys get the Compass boxed and in perfect condition..
smily_headphones1.gif
In my experience its always better to ask Kingwa directly if there is any doubts about anything especially shipping and stuffs like that, usually he answers in a flash even during weekends !..

EDIT - I understand baggers have the right to complain because they received the Compass damaged with no fault of theirs, at the same time I also personally feel that Audio GD has resolved the crisis in a very professional manner and even beyond some peoples expectations without asking baggers to ship back the damaged compass, and if I go by ecclesand's post, then They are shipping the Compass to baggers as promised. On the brighter side of things, baggers have the advantage of having another Compass which they can use as spares if needed.. All said and done, Yes, it must be frustrating for baggers and I really hope this time the Compass reaches in perfect working condition.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #6,235 of 7,725
I noticed this on Audio GDs Compass page;

26th Apr. reduce the gain, Low gain has 6DB, High gain has 13DB.

A good idea I think. Not that the present setting is a problem, but this might allow future buyers to experience a volume setting above 9 o´clock
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #6,236 of 7,725
So I'm enjonying my Compass with my Beyerdynamic DT990 (250ohm 2005), and am testing it with all jumpers and HDAMs. I'll try to give an actual review in a few more days, but for now I'll say that these seen to work quite well together. So far I have tested the Earth and Sun HDAMs with all jumpers (haven't tried Moon yet), and so far I like the sound of soft1 jumper settings best as it tones down the sibilance of the 990 to the point where they don't seem sibilant at all. Hope others are enjoying theirs as well, and that more reviews with different equipment will pop up shortly!

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #6,238 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

26th Apr. reduce the gain, Low gain has 6DB, High gain has 13DB.

A good idea I think. Not that the present setting is a problem, but this might allow future buyers to experience a volume setting above 9 o´clock
wink.gif

Good move to lower the gain. In most music, going over 8 o'clock was too loud for me. I asked Kingwa about this recently and found out that you can reduce the gain by simply switching two 3.5K resistors to 10K ones (so the gain drop from 9db to 6db). Here is Kingwa's pic:

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #6,239 of 7,725

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #6,240 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"26th Apr. reduce the gain, Low gain has 6DB, High gain has 13DB.

Damn. I would have liked to have that low gain, too.

About my order... it _finally_ got out of the customs and was re-shipped during Friday - so it spent over a _week_ in the customs. Guess I'll get it into my hands before/on Wednesday, if things will go right way.

Like I said earlier, I'll probably try to give some impressions with few electronic related genres ("idm", ambient, d'n'b, maybe some techno/house/trance) and what kind of impact it will give to the guy who has only listened music without external DAC/Amp and with low impedance and efficient cans. If anyone's interested, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back