The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 22, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #6,062 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundernuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've fixed my remote control problem with some gaffer tape, a rubber band, 9 volt battery, slow speed electric motor, belt drive pulley wheel, 4 metre extension cord and a centre off toggle switch! so glad i don't need to sell it anymore...

Ok, I am now completely convinced you are actually Macgyver!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #6,063 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone explain the proper way to put on jumpers? Right now, they seem to be just hanging there. Are they supposed to snap in?

I had the same problem with the jumpers. They seemed to just be hanging very loose, and I was too timid to give it that little extra push and see if they do in fact snap in. But eventually I sucked it up, and here's the truth- THEY DO! So build up all of the courage you've got and just push down a little bit. Not too hard now. You'll be pleasantly surprised that they snap right into place (almost as if they intended it!). Now of course, make sure you have the jumpers positioned correctly before doing this.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #6,064 of 7,725
Ok, I understand why Kingwa did not want to put crossfeed into the Compass. I hear how it does decrease the SQ. So please don't take the following comment as criticism of the unit, more so just a funny observation, OK? Agreed?

Listening to the Beatles CD's (crappy stereo mix) is PAINFUL! You know that part in the middle of "I Am The Walrus," where the alarm clocks turn into high frequency static, which leads into the strings sort of zooming over to the right channel, and then all of the music is only in the right channel? (It's at 2:00 in most versions) So besides feeling that painful hollow feeling in my left ear, I heard this strange thumping noise. "What is that," I wondered, and then I realized, "Oh, I'm just hearing the sound of my blood pumping through my head. That isn't intense at all."

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #6,065 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to the Beatles CD's (crappy stereo mix) is PAINFUL! You know that part in the middle of "I Am The Walrus," where the alarm clocks turn into high frequency static, which leads into the strings sort of zooming over to the right channel, and then all of the music is only in the right channel? (It's at 2:00 in most versions) So besides feeling that painful hollow feeling in my left ear, I heard this strange thumping noise. "What is that," I wondered, and then I realized, "Oh, I'm just hearing the sound of my blood pumping through my head. That isn't intense at all."

LOL, I think that might actually even be beyond the help of crossfeed. Those stupid panning stereo effects are extremely annoying. Apparently almost all of the Beatles albums were originally mixed as mono and the stereo mixes are just afterthoughts. When they remaster and rerelease them, I think I will buy the mono versions (which are apparently also the only versions where they will leave the "big compression-machine" switched off).

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #6,067 of 7,725
I only feel an ABSOLUTE need for crossfeed on a select few songs. And more often than not, it is the song's fault- it is usually just a crappy mix from an over-zealous producer or engineer. So, I am willing to live without it.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #6,069 of 7,725
AGGGHHHHH!!

I've just realised what's been annoying me so much!

I've noticed a consistent and ongoing ringing in the audio transmission of some TV shows which use live microphones.

The ringing is very high pitch, maybe about 10-15khz with a sound pressure level of around 90-95 decibel - REALLY LOUD!!

The ringing sound is only present when the presenter's microphone is switched on.

I've noticed it before, but it's ten times worse now that the DAC amplifies EVERYTHING!! even the crap i don't want to hear!!

I think the cheaper analogue outputs on my set-top box masked this ringing, but now it's really hard to watch some TV shows!!

I will need to implement a high frequency passive or active EQ or notch filter to cut out the ringing to make some programs more watchable.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #6,070 of 7,725
You could put the jumpers on to engage the soft settings in the Compass. That would reduce it considerably, especially the "Soft 2" setting with any luck.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #6,071 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could put the jumpers on to engage the soft settings in the Compass. That would reduce it considerably, especially the "Soft 2" setting with any luck.

Yup, done that. Moon OPA with Soft-2 settings.

The Moon and Soft-2 is the only setup which i have been able to use with poor quality material, but the ringing is still there, decreased, yes, but still really bad!!

This is not the fault of the DAC or amp, it's just the crappy broadcast editing quality.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #6,072 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure you have the deal here.

DAC out is to send to a device that is amplified and has it's own Vol. Control. The level out is fixed.

Preamp out is for devices that are amplified but do not have a Vol control. For them you use the Vol Control on the Compass.

I'm thinkin' from waht you said here is that your PC spkrs are probably amplified and have a mini jack. You would need an RCA Male to Mini female Y cable.

The DAC out and Pre outs are Analog.

Like So

Thank you for clarifying this. So my original post was correct and I was blasted for it - lol!

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #6,073 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a software crossfeed then? I'll have to start using one when I get my compass, as I hate listening without c-f, now I am using Meier's inbuilt.

AKG use to offer (Free) a software add-on for Headphone listening, I'll try to remember what it was called and find out if it's available a little latter, once I wake up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #6,075 of 7,725
It's still available for download here. (Registration info is included.) And it appears compatible with the latest Windows Media Player (at least, in XP x64). However, I can't really try it out at the moment, because I turned my USB sound output into something that will only output music through a ASIO plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back