The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 21, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #5,972 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a bagger i feel like they should definitely make ours a priority before they send the new ones because we definitely ordered it at least a month ago and have still not been able to get it while other people only ordered like a week or so before they received it. I know it wasn't their fault but i'm pretty sure other people will understand. It would probably bump them maybe half a week of not getting theirs or something.

Yeah I totally agree with you on this.... I wouldn't begrudge anyone who had a damaged Compass one before me, even if I had ordered before I did. I would have been gutted if my Compass had turned up wrecked.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #5,973 of 7,725
Woohoo! My compass is finally on it's way. I can't wait to compare it to the Dacs that I've recently, and currently owned. In particular the valab. It had a natual sound but was lacking in details. The motu 828, which I still have, has a warm sound and plenty of bass impact. But the sound is just a little too colored for me. I already have a moon with about 300 hours of burn in which I had in a prelude. All of these was slighty better than the dacs in my pioneer vsx84 receiver. So I'm expecting the compass to be a significant upgrade to them all(I hope). I'm really looking forward to hear how they sound with my modded sextetts, which now surpasses my HD580s.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #5,974 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really looking forward to hear how they sound with my modded sextetts, which now surpasses my HD580s.

Okay, it's really OT, but I'm curious. How have you modded your Sextetts and do you think they can be compared in sound signature to the HD580?

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #5,975 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But presumably Canada has a different taxation system compared to most European countries? For example, as far as I can find you pay only very little VAT ("Goods and Services Tax"), 5% I believe. In most European countries it's around 19%.
Also, EMS is not available for all European countries with shipments from China. I can't use EMS for a shipment to the Netherlands for instance. Anyways, all larger more conspicuous gear will end up in the same customs mess, whether it's with EMS or DHL.

What's supposed to happen is articles imported are subject to: duty (if there's no free trade agreement such as with the USA), GST (value added tax) and provincial sales tax which is 8% in Ontario, and brokerage.

Shipments by EMS come through Canada Post and they let quite a few shipments pass through without charging anything, even though they're supposed to depending on the declared value of the item.

Size matters here...smaller packages generally slip though without additional charges.

Canada Post's brokerage (like a handling fee) is quite low at approx. $6. UPS/FedEx charge a LOT (depends on the value of the item).

I hope my Compass slides through without any charges, it's hit & miss. Although it's a fairly large box so I'll likely get hit with GST, PST, brokerage and maybe duty.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #5,976 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, it's really OT, but I'm curious. How have you modded your Sextetts and do you think they can be compared in sound signature to the HD580?

Even an unmodded late production Sextett sounds better than the HD580. IMO...of course.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #5,977 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by chum_2000_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of along the same theme as the baggers
I ordered mine on 9th April, just wondering when it is likely to ship. Guessing it may be soon. May send them an e-mail now
atsmile.gif

I second that, mine have been ordered the 10th, so we are in the same boat.
beerchug.gif

The wait is always too long unfortunately, i'm checking the shipment and this thread every single day. I'm used to wait only 2 or 3 days when buying in my country.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #5,978 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's supposed to happen is articles imported are subject to: duty (if there's no free trade agreement such as with the USA), GST (value added tax) and provincial sales tax which is 8% in Ontario, and brokerage.

Shipments by EMS come through Canada Post and they let quite a few shipments pass through without charging anything, even though they're supposed to depending on the declared value of the item.

Size matters here...smaller packages generally slip though without additional charges.

Canada Post's brokerage (like a handling fee) is quite low at approx. $6. UPS/FedEx charge a LOT (depends on the value of the item).

I hope my Compass slides through without any charges, it's hit & miss. Although it's a fairly large box so I'll likely get hit with GST, PST, brokerage and maybe duty.

Can you explain the concept of Brokerage?? I sent a DAC to Canada UPS and the receiver went Nutz with the Brokerage fees. I had no idea what he was talking about.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #5,979 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you explain the concept of Brokerage?? I sent a DAC to Canada UPS and the receiver went Nutz with the Brokerage fees. I had no idea what he was talking about.

Many carriers make it very difficult to avoid the charges they have for clearing shipments thru customs. EMS is great here in Finland in that you can easily avoid the customs brokerage fee if you live close to a customs post office and want to clear the shipment yourself.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #5,980 of 7,725
I have been searching these forums for weeks before purchasing my first decent audio system.
I bought the compass, it arrived damaged, but i should have a new one by the end of next week.
I am looking to get headphones for the compass before it arrives, and i could use your help.

Right now i am considering...
-AD900
-AD2000 (#1 choice, but i am concerned about the colored mids input helpful)
-HD650
-HD600
(price ceiling $700)
(don't like the look of the grados)
(AKG501,701 from reviews seem to clinical and bass light for me)

I listen mostly to instrumental music.

Listening Tastes

85% - Instrumental – (post-rock, metal, stoner, drone, ambient, jazz, etc.)
15% - rock - Jimi Hendrix to Tool

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #5,981 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to rain on the parade, but has any of my fellow baggers heard from Audio-gd as to when their replacement Compass will ship?

yes...This weekend, so hopefully will have it by later next week! Cherry emailed yesterday asking whether my cables/OPA's are working or not.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #5,982 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oskari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many carriers make it very difficult to avoid the charges they have for clearing shipments thru customs. EMS is great here in Finland in that you can easily avoid the customs brokerage fee if you live close to a customs post office and want to clear the shipment yourself.

Same here too. EMS is the way to go because it deals with Canada post which has 4 different offices in a 15 minute walk radius from where I live. DHL, UPS and FedEX are greedy companies that I never want to deal with ever again. They charge excessive taxes and hidden fees even when taxes were prepaid at the point of origin.
I had very large packages being sent from China to Canada via EMS without having to pay taxes.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #5,983 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that, mine have been ordered the 10th, so we are in the same boat.
beerchug.gif

The wait is always too long unfortunately, i'm checking the shipment and this thread every single day. I'm used to wait only 2 or 3 days when buying in my country.

Well Cherry got back to me and told me mine would be shipping tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #5,984 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by chum_2000_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Cherry got back to me and told me mine would be shipping tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Lucky you. I ordered and paid for mine on March 20 and to this day, I still haven't heard a Compass.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #5,985 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucky you. I ordered and paid for mine on March 20 and to this day, I still haven't heard a Compass.

Well... mine is coming via EMS, but if I do get it before you do (and its in one piece) you are welcome round to have a listen
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back