The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 20, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #5,926 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auditioned them this weekend with my HD600's and the compass is far superior to the D10. The D10 just doesn't have the power with stock opamps. The D10 volume was at 3:00, for my testing, and the comparable compass volume was 9:00.

I know you don't want to hear this, by the compass's edge decreases with cheaper and more easily driven headphones.

Well, I think the problem is I know the sound will be better on my AKG K601's out of the compass vs. my onboard pc audio, but how much better? I mean are we talking a drastic improvement, a good improvement, or just a little bit? The D10 was just slightly better then the onboard. I want to make sure I am making an investment in something that sounds considerably better and not just something that makes it sound louder. It makes me wonder if I should just spend that money on a different pair of headphones instead of getting a dac/amp. I also use the K601's hooked up to my Yamaha receiver for movies and games and was just looking for something for my pc.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #5,927 of 7,725
Woot got my Compass! Came in a box via DHL. It did have green customs tape slathered all over it, and does look like they opened it. However, inspecting the contents it looks like they only opened the outer box and decided prying off the 8 pounds of tape inside wasn't worth their effort. =p I also got a pink optical cable. ^_^

I have a question about burn-in. Why do the jumper settings matter (and which setting burns them all in at once)? People are talking about burning in the OPA, which is on the DAC board, and then having to do it with each jumper setting, which is on the amp board. This makes zero sense to me. Do they both have to be burned in "separately," and then if you were to change the OPA later you don't have to worry about separate jumper settings again or what?

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #5,928 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In particular, I need a set of RCA interconnects to go from the DAC out of the compass to my Audioengine A2's. I have tried looking around the forum for recommendations, but there is an overwhelming amount of info- far too much for my simple needs.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good set of budget/entry-level interconnects? Obviously my set-up is not good or large enough to warrant paying more than $100 (EDIT: probably not even more than $50), and length will probably not exceed 3 ft/1m.

I have bought all my cables (check sig) from Blue Jeans cable. They offer very good quality audio for a cheap price. The guys over there know their science. My interconnects are the LC-1.
Blue Jeans Cable -- Broadcast-Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #5,929 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think the problem is I know the sound will be better on my AKG K601's out of the compass vs. my onboard pc audio, but how much better? I mean are we talking a drastic improvement, a good improvement, or just a little bit? The D10 was just slightly better then the onboard. I want to make sure I am making an investment in something that sounds considerably better and not just something that makes it sound louder. It makes me wonder if I should just spend that money on a different pair of headphones instead of getting a dac/amp. I also use the K601's hooked up to my Yamaha receiver for movies and games and was just looking for something for my pc.

Ive answered this before. But, Yes there is a significant improvement over soundcard, just using the compass dac vs sound card is night and day. And the amp portion allowed the bass to bloom better with my akg 701. The music is more transparent and bass has more control and impact.

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #5,930 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to make sure I am making an investment in something that sounds considerably better and not just something that makes it sound louder.

Well, an amp by itself would, for the most part, just make the sound, good or bad, coming from your sound card louder, not necessarily an improvement. The Compass is a DAC an amp, so processes the digital signal into analogue instead of your sound card, which should offer some improvement. As well, since it includes a good headphone amp, you should get better detail and soundstage than with a soundcard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question about burn-in. Why do the jumper settings matter (and which setting burns them all in at once)? People are talking about burning in the OPA, which is on the DAC board, and then having to do it with each jumper setting, which is on the amp board. This makes zero sense to me. Do they both have to be burned in "separately," and then if you were to change the OPA later you don't have to worry about separate jumper settings again or what?

The jumper settings change the sound by putting a couple of caps in the signal path. They only get a signal through them with the jumpers on, so it's considered a good idea to run the unit for a while with the jumpers on so those components can "burn in". It's not a huge thing though. However, the HDAM/OPA does noticeably change over the first 350 hours.

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #5,931 of 7,725
Quote:

With my Compass on the way (it should be somewhere over the Pacific right now according to tracking), I now need to ready my equipment to connect with their new friend. In particular, I need a set of RCA interconnects to go from the DAC out of the compass to my Audioengine A2's. I have tried looking around the forum for recommendations, but there is an overwhelming amount of info- far too much for my simple needs.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good set of budget/entry-level interconnects? Obviously my set-up is not good or large enough to warrant paying more than $100 (EDIT: probably not even more than $50), and length will probably not exceed 3 ft/1m.
I'll tackle USB/Optical after I've actually spent some time listening with the Compass.

No offense to the poster suggesting Blue Jeans Belkin/Canare interconnects, they're decent (I had two pair), but I have recently gotten a pair of DH Labs BL-1 for about $50 on eBay and there is definitely more clarity and detail from this cable over the Blue Jeans cables. Moon Audio, a forum sponser, makes these custom (which I bought), but I also found some on eBay. I would not hesitate on these cables.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #5,932 of 7,725
Quote:

I'll tackle USB/Optical after I've actually spent some time listening with the Compass.

I'm really impressed with the UP-OCC PCA's from Outlaw Audio. IMO, the build and sound quality are excellent, and $50 for UP-OCC IC's is a solid deal:
Product Link: Outlaw Audio
Cable FAQ: Outlaw Audio

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #5,933 of 7,725
Thanks for the help punkguy, tim, and LaidBack!

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #5,934 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't change the topic after this immediately - for people living in the European Union there could be as much as trouble as for me. Has anyone else got in trouble because the Compass does not have an CE stamp? I had to write a full technical description of the device because Estonian customs had it technically analyzed and Estonian Technical Surveillance Authority aid it is NOT ALLOWED to be used in the European Union because the manufacturer has no CE stamp or license. If they accept my technical details (I send them the schematics etc) they might allow it thru but they did not give me high hopes!

Maybe in the future kingwa could just put the little stickers on the devices coming to the EU. For more information CE mark

I had no problems at all with my unit arriving in the UK.

I'm imagine the CE mark would be needed if you were reselling these to EU customers, but you're a private individual importing a single product, for personal use.

~Phewl.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #5,936 of 7,725
I think he means that amplifiers, whilst they can alter the sound, their primary function is to make louder - to amplify. The best amplifier would be one that does nothing but increase the signal being fed to it.

~Phewl.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #5,937 of 7,725
I suppose Kingwa still likes to hear feedback on the Compass. I suggested he pack the Compass in a product box. Which would then be put in the shipping box like the Compass we just got.

"Package the Compass (all your products) inside a second box. Suggest plain black colored cardboard box. (matte: not shiny). Then, this box goes inside the shipping box. That way, Compass does not get tape or foam evaporation marks. Also, is really more professional this way. Can also put insert inside box to hold accessory cords. (Separate to keep them from bumping). Add packet to absorb humidity and water from air. (But much smaller volume to absorb from inside inner smaller box).

But he thought this would add 2 lbs. weight and drive up shipping cost $10 - 15. I would almost suggest an aluminum chassis, but I like the hefty feel of the Compass. And I live in Asia so I don't face the stiff DHL prices.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #5,938 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... What do you mean?

You're right, that was a bit poor. I've corrected it:

"Well, an amp by itself would, for the most part, just make the sound, good or bad, coming from your sound card louder, not necessarily an improvement."

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #5,939 of 7,725
Well, my Compass finally arrived last week via EMS... to the Finnish customs.

Got yesterday note of arrrival -letter and they're requesting invoice, clearance of the contents and ID. I sent yesterday them via e-mail and got today message (translated roughly from Finnish) "Hi. Unfortunately customs doesn't trust to the Chinese invoices. Do you have some else like pay pal or bank statement etc."

Argh. Wouldn't really need ~107€ price up for it...

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #5,940 of 7,725
That is usual for customs in Estonia too. I have had to show PayPal invoices many times. But now I have even bigger troubles - the customs have not even got to the price point, because the Compass has no CE sticker they say it is not allowed to be imported to the European Union.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back