The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 17, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #5,806 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah was explained to me by Haloxt, although just having it run through your soundcard makes me wonder something must be happening in there. But then you said it sounds awesome, no matter, was just curious.

Boy, you sure thought you knew what you were talking about though, didn't ya!!

Two days in a row!

What else ya got!

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #5,809 of 7,725
I never thought I would use the Super button. But I have to admit it is invaluable for A/B comparisons with another DAC. You Hook up the second DAC in the Line IN and hit Super to switch between the two DACs. Brilliant! Thanks Kingwa, good idea there.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #5,811 of 7,725
Got my 'bagged' compass from the DHL warehouse which I had refused to accept couple of days before. Following damages :

1). Preamp ON /OFF knob switch is broken. I found the knob inside the compass , seems it was smashed in. So the inside connection also is broken.

2) The input selecting dial is loose and it just rotates and can be removed easily. I can see a crack inside the dial.

2). Slight Cosmetic damage on the corners and the input selector.

3). I found two other metal pieces inside the compass, I don't know what those are.

4). The volume control knob is bent. Nothing serious, feels like it moves in and out when it rotates.

Have emailed Kingwa with the pics. Haven't tried powering it up. Can I try it eventhough the pre-amp switch is broken , since I am just using DAC and HP amp ? Also, I have never used an optical fibre cable before. How do I connect the cable that came with compass to the Macbook pro, it doesn't seem to fit to the headphone jack as it is. Is there some adapter ? Also it doesn't seem to go in in the compass side as well.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #5,812 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you can test two DACs or test two amps? Very very cool.

2 DACs. You hook up the second dac and punch the Super button to go back and forth sending them to the Compass Headamp. The Beauty is it's instantaneous. Slight difference in gain maybe, depending on the 2nd DAC.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #5,814 of 7,725
Whi did you accept the package? I wouldn't have.
You need a tosslink adapter for toss to mini, they are like 3-4.00 but hard to find in local stores. Il ooked in Radio Shack and they did not even know they existed. You can buy them on line (amazon.com) or buy a fiberoptic cable with toss link in one side and mini on the other, also on amazon (like 20.00 or so)

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #5,815 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also test two amps by using the preamp output.

I understand that. I meant it's so nice not having to stop and switch wires.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #5,816 of 7,725
sarathcpt: The headphone socket of the MacBook Pro also doubles as a mini-optical jack. You can get a mini-optical to Toslink adaptor for $2 from many places that allows you to plug it in. Otherwise, just use USB.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #5,817 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sarathcpt: The headphone socket of the MacBook Pro also doubles as a mini-optical jack. You can get a mini-optical to Toslink adaptor for $2 from many places that allows you to plug it in. Otherwise, just use USB.

Thanks guys. I will get the adapter. I had to accept the package because Cherry told me so today, seems they have to document the damages.

Meanwhile, I tried using the USB input. No sound (checked the OPA and everything). So since the Preamp switch is broken , does that mean the connection between the DAC & HP amp is also open? I mean putting the Preamp switch to OFF connects the DAC and the HP amp..is it how the connection is wired ? Since in my case there is no switch both the DAC to HP AMP and DAC to Pre amp connection might be open..? Waiting for Kingwa's answer on that...any inputs from here also appreciated.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5,818 of 7,725
sarathcpt: I think the preamp switch just switches between the headphone socket and the RCA jacks at the back. Are you sure the Super button at the front is off? If the switch is busted, however, then you wont get sound output except through the DAC in super mode I'm guessing.

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #5,819 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that. I meant it's so nice not having to stop and switch wires.

Anyway, to sum it is possible to audit both external DACs and amplifiers.

First we have the normal mode;
Compass DAC-->Compass amp

Then we have the super mode where we can do this;
Compass DAC-->Line Out on Compass-->External headphone amplifier
OR
External DAC-->Line In on Compass-->Compass amplifier

----
On top of that we have the possibility to use the pre amp out socket on the Compass and send a signal to an external power amplifier that then drives speakers instead of headphones.
---

BTW, some newer members seem to have problems understanding the difference between a fixed line level output and a variable level output.

A fixed level output is used to send the signal to a device that has it's own volume control to regulate the level, i.e. a pre amplifier or integrated amplifier.

A variable level output takes a signal that already has been through a pre amplifier and volume control and sends it to a device that doesn't have any any own volume control, i.e. a power amplifier.

There are some weird devices that can fall inbetween these two categories, like power amplifiers with a passive volume control. But to me the basic pronciple is that if the external device has its own volume control you should feed it with a line feed. If it doesn't then you should feed it with a variable output feed.

Hope I haven't increased the confusion with this
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #5,820 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then we have the super mode where we can do this;
Compass DAC-->Line Out on Compass-->External headphone amplifier
OR
External DAC-->Line In on Compass-->Compass amplifier

The nice thing about super mode is you don't need to choose one or the other of those options. You can do both simultaneously. Just did it on mine.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back