The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 27, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #4,681 of 7,725
The compass might be all great and I hope it is.

But after waiting since 20th Feb till now for my MO order to arrive.

And better yet to find out that we are being treated badly with many others that order much later then us getting their compass already, my trust and patience with AudioGD is really wearing thin.

Talk about bad business practices. I hope with this posting that AudioGD can buck up.

Frankly I just want to GET THE COMPASS I paid for and not read posts after posts of others getting it, loving it and having a great time with it, that ordered later then us.

MO details here: VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum!

Regards.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #4,682 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummer1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have ordered this amp, hopefully it can drive all my headphones nicely.haha

I hate to say this but the 240's are a far cry from good ( I have a pair and yes the Compass drives them very well, the 600 ohm version from the 80's) compared to the ones I have now (HD650's). If your an AKG man get yourself a set of used 701's (or new)...you'll be darn glad you did. The Compass works very well with the 650/701 cans and has scads of grunt for driving either properly. It's not a reference level amp of course but it's very good for it's class and competition.

Of course the 240's will sound good you'll just not be getting the most you can from the Compass using just the 240's.

IMO at least.

I would have to say the 650's are several orders of magnitude better than the 240's in every conceivable area of sound reproduction. The difference is that marked. Again IMO.

Peete.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #4,683 of 7,725
gadenp, no one has received the final version yet. You guys will likely be some of the first to receive the final version. The ones people got before you were v2a, v2b (final version) is what your mass order is.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #4,684 of 7,725
so heres a quick headphone synergy question:

for a dorm room (so closed), and under $400, what headphones would tend to have the best synergy to the Compass? im doing a complete upgrade of my "dorm" setup and want to get some great closed phones that will really show off the new amp/DAC. What i really want is a pair of Senn 650s, but they let in too much sound for the dorm room and let out too much sound for library studying, so that basically puts them in a box under my bed for 90% of my listening.

and thanks again for everyone who brought this project to completion!

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #4,686 of 7,725
I also have AudioEngine speakers, A5. Will the audiogd DAC improve the sound quality? I am using Musiland MD-10 right now but I barely notice any difference between with a DAC and without a DAC.

My configurations is from Laptop->Apple Airport Express->Musiland MD10->AudioEngine A5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The preamp is one of the reasons I ordered a Compass. Based on the website, there is a switch to turn the preamp on or off. When the preamp is on, the headphone out is silent. I plan to run a pair of RCA cables from the preamp out on the Compass to the line in (also RCA) on my Audioengine A2 speakers. When I want to listen to headphones, I turn the preamp off. When I want to listen to speakers I turn the preamp on and there is no need to unplug the headphones.

This is how it works based on what I read on the website and recent (within the past week) posts in this thread.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #4,687 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicserve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have AudioEngine speakers, A5. Will the audiogd DAC improve the sound quality? I am using Musiland MD-10 right now but I barely notice any difference between with a DAC and without a DAC.

My configurations is from Laptop->Apple Airport Express->Musiland MD10->AudioEngine A5.

from what i know of all those components (The A5s being the only item i have any experience with) you will probably get a decent boost from the quality of the Compass DAC. However, if your setup is not showing a noticable difference between an external DAC and your laptops soundcard, you either have a great internal SC or your setup is lacking in another area.

basically, if i was personally running what you are currently using, i would probably upgrade the DAC first, but likely you just need higher quality music (lossless) or better speakers to really show off your gear

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #4,688 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadenp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And better yet to find out that we are being treated badly with many others that order much later then us getting their compass already, my trust and patience with AudioGD is really wearing thin.

Talk about bad business practices. I hope with this posting that AudioGD can buck up.

Frankly I just want to GET THE COMPASS I paid for and not read posts after posts of others getting it, loving it and having a great time with it, that ordered later then us.

Regards.

1. We can't read that outside link without registering. I hate registering for things.

2. you obviously have not read much of the thread.
18 compasses were shipped out sometime late last year for testing and feedback. after glowing reviews, 30 revised compasses were made. These are what people are receiving right now. you probably had to order back in December to get one of the 30. Every order after that is for the final version. Which is to be shipped on late march/early april.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #4,689 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try searching this thread for "speakers" and let me know what you find. If you find more than a couple posts that pertain to my question, then I agree that I am taking away from the thread. But I have only been able to find people talking about the possibility maybe, not actual people using it.

Also, I have another question. With the DAC and the amp separated, we need to use the volume control of whatever amp or other preamp is used. However, if the DAC and amplifier are connected and we are using the amp as a preamp to speakers, can we use the volume control of the Compass?

All of my review posted thus far was spent ( Part III, still pending, as a headphone amp) using the Compass with a speaker system, a fairly decent system I'd like to think.

Just go read the sections pertinent to your query.

Most info that you seek is actually on post no 1 showing links etc...Curra has spent time and effort making this info available and always up to date....maybe there should be an FAQ on the FAQ ?

Peete.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #4,690 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. We can't read that outside link without registering. I hate registering for things.

2. you obviously have not read much of the thread.
18 compasses were shipped out sometime late last year for testing and feedback. after glowing reviews, 30 revised compasses were made. These are what people are receiving right now. you probably had to order back in December to get one of the 30. Every order after that is for the final version. Which is to be shipped on late march/early april.

Not true, look again. I read the whole thing, didn't register. Not much there though.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #4,691 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true, look again. I read the whole thing, didn't register. Not much there though.

My bad, I am a retard. I obviously cannot tell the difference between one of those agreement things and a registration form.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #4,692 of 7,725
That thread was boring... It's not Kingwa's fault if they don't know how to order the Compass or know how to READ. Kingwa has been very clear and prompt in updating his website on the Compass revisions, Compass availability, and estimated date of shipment.

And then coming to Head-Fi to complain...awesome. Another person to add to the ignore list...

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #4,693 of 7,725
Quote:

Regards.

Sounds like you guys are a little confused, understandable since most of the news and updates relating to the Compass occur here.

The 18 test Compasses were received by those that bought them (myself included) in late January. In fact I committed to purchasing one on the 11th of January.

No more Compasses were shipped out until I believe towards the end of February and they were the same external enclosure (plus some holes for the preamp out and switches on the rear added by Kingwa's staff) with the upgraded internals. The final Compass is not being shipped yet. I imagine they only finally received full batches of the enclosures just recently.

Anyone receiving something recently has received one of the 30 v2a Compasses as so many people are calling them and probably purchased them quite a while go.

If your MO winds up including some of the 30 V2a Compasses and the rest are V2b then you will see delays as those haven't shipped to anyone yet afaik. So far I don't see any reason to blame Kingwa or Audio-gd for doing anything, you guys have to realize what kind of situation you're getting involved in here with the MO from a small company with a lot of other orders suddenly piling on for a new product that wasn't even 100% ready when you ordered.

Hopefully they can ship yours soon though! The absolute soonest the V2b could ship to you is "early April" and that's all I know about expected ship dates. If that's the case it usually takes a week to arrive at its destination.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #4,694 of 7,725
Quote:

Regards.

As Aleatoris mentioned, the Compasses that have been shipped out were the V2As. After a little searching, the set of 30 available of those were sold out by February 22nd, which means they likely ordered before you. Considering your MO ended on the 20th and that there were 14 orders in it, the chances of you having made it in those 30 are quite slim. Expect your order to go out early April

Edit: mmm, people posting at the same time

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #4,695 of 7,725
I just posted a reply there. I think they aren't used to being patient.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back