The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #4,636 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there just had to be one who would actually do that...
biggrin.gif

I have a black Neutrik. I had contemplated doing the same but I haven't looked in to shipping costs or anything else.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #4,637 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed audio-gd this morning and immediately got the auto-response like always and then Cherry responded maybe 15 minutes later. I bet Kingwa is swamped and when Cherry isn't around he can't keep up with all the inquiries. I think they are getting boat loads (literally) of Compass orders.

Not only that the guy needs to sleep and eat like the rest of us every once in a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #4,638 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It did sound like they have received quite a few Compass orders. I wonder when the final version will start shipping out. I had originally heard early April but these things can change.

Wait...final version? I just ordered a Compass yesterday, is it a prototype version?

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #4,639 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a black Neutrik. I had contemplated doing the same but I haven't looked in to shipping costs or anything else.

Solder them yourself!

It's a toss up, black does look better. But for sound, not sure make a difference. The Contacts in the silver are silver plated, the black are gold plated. Think would make a difference in sound, probably not. And for those like myself who have more than one headphone, switching back and forth...ironically the silver one may be more durable since silver is harder than gold. Both anti-corrosive. Oh hell, I might DIY also in the future, who knows.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #4,640 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by skurge13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait...final version? I just ordered a Compass yesterday, is it a prototype version?

No, just final versions now. (You missed out on the unique post-prototype.
biggrin.gif
) No, seriously, just fully equipped final versions are being sold now.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #4,641 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, just final versions now. (You missed out on the unique post-prototype.
biggrin.gif
) No, seriously, just fully equipped final versions are being sold now.

Phew, thanks, got scared for a second there. Thought I'd paid a boatload of money for something unfinished!

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #4,642 of 7,725
So am I the only one who decided to keep the prototype? Will be changing resistors to lower gain, possibly add the black neutrik jack.

Remove the resistors where the X is. Snip them out. Then replace with new resistors which you can get from Kingwa.

mail

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #4,643 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by skurge13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup as answered we're entering the third batch and these will be the "final" Compass design both in and out as far as I understand and would expect. If for some reason Kingwa changes something I doubt it will be as drastic as the changes suggested by myself and the other Compass-18 or during the design revision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solder them yourself!

Well silver does corrode, but I'm not really concerned that there'd be a big difference in performance, I just think the black one would look nicer
smily_headphones1.gif

If I do feel like changing it then I will, but right now I'm just not sure I feel like dealing with it either way.
Quote:

So am I the only one who decided to keep the prototype? Will be changing resistors to lower gain, possibly add the black neutrik jack.

Remove the resistors where the X is. Snip them out. Then replace with new resistors which you can get from Kingwa.

mail

I'm keeping my original/test/prototype Compass but I'm also getting a final version with the next exterior design.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #4,644 of 7,725
I noticed the back has two RCA sets of output. Does that mean we can use this for 2.1 (yes, sub included) AND headphones?

Also, does the volume control stop working if we disconnect DAC from amp?

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #4,645 of 7,725
I noticed the back has two RCA sets of output. Does that mean we can use this for 2.1 (yes, sub included) AND headphones?

Also, does the volume control stop working if we disconnect DAC from amp?

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #4,647 of 7,725
I'll keep my unit here too.

How many of the first 18 "testers" has more than 900 hours on Compass?

There was an incredible change happening after this time that make me feel shame for posting some of my impressions a while ago.

I can say if people are happy now with K701 and Compass (200-300 hours)... wait some time to see what I'm talking about.
k701smile.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #4,648 of 7,725
I'm keeping mine as well mbd and csroc ! I have some plans for my test unit that I will get around to when I have some free time.

Sganzerla I have well over 900 hours on mine and I agree with your views. The Compass needs major burn in time before it's done changing (all for the better obviously
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Peete.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #4,649 of 7,725
Quote:

mail

I'm keeping mine. Am supremely happy with it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll keep my unit here too.

How many of the first 18 "testers" has more than 900 hours on Compass?

There was an incredible change happening after this time that make me feel shame for posting some of my impressions a while ago.

I can say if people are happy now with K701 and Compass (200-300 hours)... wait some time to see what I'm talking about.
k701smile.gif

I've no idea how many hours mine has now. It had continual music up to around 5-600 hours(not including kingwa's hours), and a lot of use since then.

It's sounded brilliant from the start, though it really started to blossom from around 300 onwards.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #4,650 of 7,725
6000 song .flac library on my media server courtesy of demonoid and what, served over WLAN, into $210 Dell Mini 9 hacked to run OS X 10.5.6, out via $6.80 FiiO, into Sennheiser HD650's...

Awaiting Compass, which I think will do a better job than the D/A in the mini and the FiiO amp...

Laying in bed listening, waiting for space cakes to kick in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back