The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 11, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #3,946 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently Currawong thinks cynan=mbd2884. (At least, that's how I understood it.) I'm not too sure about that myself, but I'll let the mods figure this one out.

Fair enough, I didn't even know mbd2884 was banned until I saw Currawong's post! Not that I didn't see something coming (I figured a temporary time out might help him adjust how he responds).

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #3,947 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to design/critique research studies for living. But I'm puzzled. How can you speak with such authority when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about???
confused_face(1).gif

Same problem here, I'm a few months away from a PhD in Biology, and yes, that came across as pretty clueless to me as well. Speaking with authority will get you quite far though.
biggrin.gif

But since this topic is not allowed in these forums, we need to cut this, no doubt very entertaining, discussion short. If there's any enthousiasm for it we can always transfer it to the "Sound Science" forum and take turns flogging the dead horse overthere.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #3,948 of 7,725
I would enjoy seeing that conversation continue over there if the discussion could progress. In general there's a very strong dislike or distrust on this board for scientific approaches to studying things in the audio world. Unfortunately everything seems to end up in circular arguments with nobody listening to anyone else.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #3,951 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_lammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently collecting funds to pay for my compass purchase. Does anyone have an idea of when we should ideally pay Kingwa so we can be on the first shipment?

The final version will be shipped at the "end of March", I don't know how many he's making or if they will be sold out, but I'd think after this final version batch all compasses will be shipped at regular times, so you can order anytime from now to the end of May and still get the discount and fast building/shipping time.

As for DBT, everybody knows audio is just too advanced for what puny protocols the medical establishment uses. I realized long ago that the best thing in scientific rigor is to listen to music 10 hours a day, and whatever you can listen to for 5 hours a day without wanting to switch is a good candidate for subsequent marathon listening experiments. Even Darwin would approve.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #3,952 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to design/critique research studies for living. But I'm puzzled. How can you speak with such authority when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about???
confused_face(1).gif

I would like to apologize for/retract my comment on that forbidden topic to those reading this thread. It was a bit unnecessary and over the top. There is no place for the provocation of any sort of animosity in a forum like this - which was apparently what my post did. Also, as I am new to these forums I did not realize the topic was out of bounds.

I would like to maintain, for what it's worth, that I did not just post to cause a disturbance; the information I posted was accurate -but who cares? This is obviously not the place for any debate on the matter.

Again, apologies. More of
smily_headphones1.gif
and less of
angry_face.gif

Now - back to the Compass :normal_smile:

Does anyone know when Audio-dg will start shipping the DAC-3DV? I was all set to order a Compass, but then became intrigued by the 3DV with its new DSP technology (which would really start push my budget). With any luck there won't be any reviews of the 3DV for a little while so I will be forced to come to my senses and get the compass before the introductory price expires.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #3,953 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cynan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know when Audio-dg will start shipping the DAC-3DV? I was all set to order a Compass, but then became intrigued by the 3DV with its new DSP technology (which would really start push my budget). With any luck there won't be any reviews of the 3DV for a little while so I will be forced to come to my senses and get the compass before the introductory price expires.

There is a review of the DAC3-SE here. Which is basically the 3DV without the DSP-1. Although, as usual, it suffers from the problem that the reviewer doesn't have a DAC of similar quality to compare it to. (Rather unavoidable outside professional HiFi-reviewing, of course.)

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #3,954 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough, I didn't even know mbd2884 was banned until I saw Currawong's post! Not that I didn't see something coming (I figured a temporary time out might help him adjust how he responds).

Things have definitely been a lot more peaceful here lately. Good move mods!

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #3,955 of 7,725
being ultra-enthusiastic about the compass, i ordered one of the 30 upgraded (but not final) versions which are shipping now. unfortunately, with every time that i look at the final panel designs i wish more and more that i had waited so that i could have a product that looks as good as it sounds.
frown.gif

i guess i thought i was above all the cosmetic considerations but turns out i'm just a shallow guy heh.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #3,956 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by senn_liu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
being ultra-enthusiastic about the compass, i ordered one of the 30 upgraded (but not final) versions which are shipping now. unfortunately, with every time that i look at the final panel designs i wish more and more that i had waited so that i could have a product that looks as good as it sounds.
frown.gif

i guess i thought i was above all the cosmetic considerations but turns out i'm just a shallow guy heh.

You could the order those panels separately later and install them yourselves.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #3,958 of 7,725
here's a very rough side-by-side image comparison of the upgraded panels and the final ones:

compassupgradedvsfinal.jpg

the old front panel is fine, but the rear just looks pretty untidy. fortunately that won't matter when i'm listening to it!

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #3,959 of 7,725
The upgraded panels look really nice. Clean and classy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back