The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 11, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #3,976 of 7,725
USB in asynchronous mode is supposed to be (as Kurt Vonnegut says) nice, nice, very nice. But who knows when such audio drivers will become readily and easily available? Only time.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #3,977 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB in asynchronous mode is supposed to be (as Kurt Vonnegut says) nice, nice, very nice. But who knows when such audio drivers will become readily and easily available? Only time.

So which DAC did Vonnegut like?
tongue_smile.gif

I recently read about asynchronous mode in some old threads from two or three years ago. You'd think that by now, there would be some drivers available, given how fast things change with computers generally. I guess that apart from a couple of companies, there isn't that much overlap between audio and computer people. Too bad, because it'd be much better for customers if those drivers were open source, rather than proprietary like Wavelength's. Makes it hard for people like Kingwa to push the boundaries of PC audio.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #3,978 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Benchmark has pioneered asynchronous USB transfer to a DAC by licensing the driver from Centrance and integrating it in a TAS1020B chip (see DAC1 USB). Later on, other audio companies (like Empirical Audio) did the same to their DACs. So it is possible, but I'm afraid the driver licensing cost will be too expensive at a Compass price point. Should be great for Audio-gd reference line DACs.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #3,979 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Benchmark has pioneered asynchronous USB transfer to a DAC by licensing the driver from Centrance and integrating it in a TAS1020B chip (see DAC1 USB). Later on, other audio companies (like Empirical Audio) did the same to their DACs. So it is possible, but I'm afraid the driver licensing cost will be too expensive at a Compass price point. Should be great for Audio-gd reference line DACs.

It appears that they didn't use asynchronous mode, though they are up to something:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5124921-post2101.html

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #3,980 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cynan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems a bit of a shame that Kingwa is not including optical/usb inputs on his new DSP-1 DACs.

The Reference 3 DAC is going to be re-designed with USB input.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #3,981 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's good news. Did you get any info on the timeframe for availability?

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #3,982 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good news. Did you get any info on the timeframe for availability?

Yes its good news, but keep in mind it will only support USB 48K/16Bit..

EDIT - The entire thing about reference three was delayed because of re-designing to include a USB input, it seems like Kingwa has two choices at the moment, if its 48K/16Bit, it can be released as early as next month, on the other hand he is also thinking about 24Bit/96K, in which case the release will be delayed for 3-4 months..

Quote:

I'm bitin' my fingernails waiting to see that the new panels came out 100%! I wonder when Kingwa will get them in

The new face plates should be in this week, I am interested too how close it will look to the designs you helped to create..

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #3,984 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by senn_liu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
being ultra-enthusiastic about the compass, i ordered one of the 30 upgraded (but not final) versions which are shipping now. unfortunately, with every time that i look at the final panel designs i wish more and more that i had waited so that i could have a product that looks as good as it sounds.
frown.gif

i guess i thought i was above all the cosmetic considerations but turns out i'm just a shallow guy heh.

This is part of my temptation to own two Compasses (Compii?). Current plan is to use the Compass at home, and have my D1 take up permanent residence at work. If I'm totally blown away by the Compass, I'll get a second at the promo price (likely relocating the older, less attractive model to my office). If I'm not ultra-wowed, the Compass will eventually move to my office, and home will get a high-end discrete dac and hp amp setup. The big question then is tu_be or not tu_be?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #3,986 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new face plates should be in this week, I am interested too how close it will look to the designs you helped to create..

Wow, really? This week as in within the next few days maybe? Oh boy. If something is wrong I'll surely be banned
normal_smile .gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #3,987 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So this means that the DAC-DV3 and Reference 3 are not the same thing? If not, will the Ref 3 be much of an upgrade over the DV3?

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #3,988 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cynan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this means that the DAC-DV3 and Reference 3 are not the same thing? If not, will the Ref 3 be much of an upgrade over the DV3?

The Reference 3 is a Compass-sized DAC. It uses a better DAC and circuit than the Compass. Kingwa said next month it will probably be available.

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #3,989 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I get the feeling from Kingwa and others here that he's not really that into USB audio. I hope he comes around to it in the next few years. I wonder how he'll implement the USB on the Ref 3.

cynan, here's the old link to the Ref 3. It doesn't mean much at all b/c it's not updated and audio-gd doesn't even link to it any more, but it might give you an idea of what Kingwa is thinking about.
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Here's an interesting set of Q & As on the current state of PC audio.
ca intro

I can't wait for Currawong's Ref 1 to arrive. Looking forward to his review and a discussion of Audio-gd dacs in an appropriate thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back