The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 27, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #3,422 of 7,725
I've got a couple different plugins, they're not too bad. Not that I don't mind a nice hardware solution
smily_headphones1.gif

The Meier Cross-1 is what I plan to DIY next. I just need to get around to putting it all together and making my custom PCB for it.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #3,424 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lavry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you can buy such adapters from a few manufacturers, but they are not all the same quality. Of course one issue is the mechanical construction, but less obvious is the electrical characteristics. One would think that all of those "simple devices" should be fine, but it is not so! When you order such an adapter, most often the seller does not tell you the manufacturer, and they may substitute a different brand at different times.

One of those adapter brands introduced clear distortions (measured on an Audio Precision test system). I opened it, and the connection was not even a soldered wire, it was based on some really poor "friction" and one of the conductors was the case itself... I was really surprised.

Regards
Dan Lavry

I don't think its placebo, when I stopped using an adapter from 1/8 to 1/4, using Furutech, music sounded better. Wonder if this is similar to what Lavry is referring to as I know the adapters he is speaking of are more complicated. So the question is, for others who have 1/8 terminated cans, do adapters have similar effect as mentioned by Lavry?

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #3,425 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think its placebo, when I stopped using an adapter from 1/8 to 1/4, using Furutech, music sounded better. Wonder if this is similar to what Lavry is referring to as I know the adapters he is speaking of are more complicated. So the question is, for others who have 1/8 terminated cans, do adapters have similar effect as mentioned by Lavry?

I think his point was that cheap adapters can adversely affect sound quality... although he also stated earlier in the thread that a well made adapter with a nice connector and wire and soldered connections have absolutely no effect on sound quality. In fact he includes one with his new DA11 so that people can use the XLR outputs with RCA cables. He was just cautioning people to use good quality stuff because cheaply made XLR to RCA adapters can be terrible sounding.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #3,426 of 7,725
A fun test would be to alternate 1/4 to 1/8 adapters and 1/8 to 1/4 adapters until you have 10 adapters between the headphone out and your headphone cable. I gave up doing the test with just two adapters because I got new headphones and they are sounding kooky while burning in atm.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #3,427 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeoboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think his point was that cheap adapters can adversely affect sound quality... although he also stated earlier in the thread that a well made adapter with a nice connector and wire and soldered connections have absolutely no effect on sound quality. In fact he includes one with his new DA11 so that people can use the XLR outputs with RCA cables. He was just cautioning people to use good quality stuff because cheaply made XLR to RCA adapters can be terrible sounding.

I wasn't criticizing his statement. Was trying to find out if his explanation applies to plug adapters also.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #3,428 of 7,725
Quote:

I wasn't criticizing his statement. Was trying to find out if his explanation applies to plug adapters also.

Nor was I criticizing yours. I was just trying to clarify that although he said some adapters hurt the sound, a properly made one is transparent. I was thinking about how a 1/8 to 1/4 is made and unless I am mistaken it uses friction fit pieces and sometimes also uses the case of the adaptor as a signal path... so it is likely that what Lavry was talking about applies to what you are talking about. I cannot remember ever seeing a 1/4 to 1/8 headphone adapter that uses soldered connections.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #3,429 of 7,725
Quote:

I own a 1/4-1/8th adaptor that, without any doubt, changes the sound. The particular brand called itself "Monitor Audio" or somesuch and made low-quality rip-offs of famous connectors, such as Van Den Hul. The change it makes to the sound is so significant you can hear it even with cheap headphones. Most of my other adaptors make a much smaller difference.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #3,431 of 7,725
I tried the Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP and it does make a difference, but at the cost of some sound effects like treble at the top end that makes the sound more real to the ear. With the easy mode checked and crossfeed at max, it lowers the overall sound so it is less fatiguing. With the easy mode unchecked and crossfeed at max, I'm not quite sure what is happening. I decided its better not to use the DSP and lower foobar's volume if the headphone's sound is too fatiguing. My foobar2k originally use no DSPs. Do DSPs change the sound quality for the worse mostly?

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #3,432 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by lag0a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP and it does make a difference, but at the cost of some sound effects like treble at the top end that makes the sound more real to the ear. With the easy mode checked and crossfeed at max, it lowers the overall sound so it is less fatiguing. With the easy mode unchecked and crossfeed at max, I'm not quite sure what is happening. I decided its better not to use the DSP and lower foobar's volume if the headphone's sound is too fatiguing. My foobar2k originally use no DSPs. Do DSPs change the sound quality for the worse mostly?

Bauer's Stereophonic-To-Binaural DSP is configurable in the following way:

Easy unchecked = Original algorithm. Cuts upper treble out more than some like.
Easy checked = Sets an upper limit on the algorithm (or at least lessens its effect) so that the higher frequencies make it through without being quite so dampened.
Min/Med/Max = Intensity of the BS2B algorithm.

I personally set mine to Easy + Minimum/Medium. Anything else is too much, IMO. It's a great plugin, for sure.

P.S. I found a 64 bit version that works with foobar2000 0.9.6 in Vista: BS2B foobar2000 0.9.6 Vista 64 Download File on FileFront

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #3,433 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I don't have an amp that utilises CAST technology, then I don't really have any reason to care for a DAC that has CAST (assuming I don't plan on upgrading my amp)?

Would I be right to think that?

Anyone?
confused_face.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #3,434 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone?
confused_face.gif

Not necessarily .. here is what Kingwa's website says..

Quote:

DAC Reference Two Applies Current Transmission Technology , even though maybe you only connect to XLR or RCA output, but Reference Two will always operate in CAST technology, and benefit from CAST technology, Therefore, XLR and RCA output will also definitely bring about improvement in SQ.

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #3,435 of 7,725
Quote:

DAC Reference Two Applies Current Transmission Technology , even though maybe you only connect to XLR or RCA output, but Reference Two will always operate in CAST technology, and benefit from CAST technology, Therefore, XLR and RCA output will also definitely bring about improvement in SQ.

This is comforting to read, no need to be limited to CAST only components
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back