The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 26, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #3,406 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me know the details (links, publisher etc) of this book Dro...I'm interested in it as well. For some reason I have a DAC and Tube amp fetish (to go along with the Planar/Ribbon fetish...
biggrin.gif
)

Peete.

Amazon links might be easiest:

An Introduction to Digital Audio

The Art of Digital Audio

Not cheap these, certainly the second one. And I doubt they will really help you in your DIY efforts. They might not be quite 'practical' enough.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #3,407 of 7,725
Quote:

It occurs to me that this question doesn't really belong in the Compass thread.....I'm not nitpicking I'm just trying to keep the thread on topic ...

I'm fairly certain the C2C does not differentiate the type of input signal for a "CAST" like function. I think you guys have mixed things up a little. Full CAST requires the dedicated circuitry if I'm not mistaken.

Here is the C2C page's explanation.....you guys need to read this stuff before posting questions that are answered on the C2C page itself.....

I was just reacting to the the statement by Kingwa that he will make a C2C with CAST input by request. I would imagine Kingwa would be familiar with the CAST implementation and the circuit design of the C2C.
Since this is new information NOT posted on the C2C page, I figured it was worth a comment.
And yes... this thread has more discussion of other Audio-gd products than it does the Compass these days. That will likely change when the next batch arrives in people's hands.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #3,409 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeoboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just reacting to the the statement by Kingwa that he will make a C2C with CAST input by request. I would imagine Kingwa would be familiar with the CAST implementation and the circuit design of the C2C.
Since this is new information NOT posted on the C2C page, I figured it was worth a comment.
And yes... this thread has more discussion of other Audio-gd products than it does the Compass these days. That will likely change when the next batch arrives in people's hands.

I missed that part of the conversation. Pleas pardon my reaction accordingly...

Peete.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #3,410 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeoboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can count on that!
atsmile.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #3,411 of 7,725
Not interested in cross feed but that's just my position on it.

Peete.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3,412 of 7,725
Dang it a double post.....

I wonder if CAST inputs for the C2C could be an order time option to make use of a source (Ref 1 DAC for example) with CAST outputs ?

Peete.

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #3,413 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was browsing through the new webpages of REF 1 & 2 and noticed this for both.........

So I guess if I want this I have to factor in an additional 60USD for the cables ..
triportsad.gif

That's not such a bad thing if they make the same difference to the sound that they did for my Northstar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lavry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you can buy such adapters from a few manufacturers, but they are not all the same quality. Of course one issue is the mechanical construction, but less obvious is the electrical characteristics. One would think that all of those "simple devices" should be fine, but it is not so! When you order such an adapter, most often the seller does not tell you the manufacturer, and they may substitute a different brand at different times.

One of those adapter brands introduced clear distortions (measured on an Audio Precision test system). I opened it, and the connection was not even a soldered wire, it was based on some really poor "friction" and one of the conductors was the case itself... I was really surprised.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Thanks Dan. This confirms what I've heard. I have headphone adaptors that audibly distorted the sound. It still amazes me to see music stores where I live sell very expensive gear, then cheap rubbish adaptors and cables for that gear.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #3,414 of 7,725
Quote:

I missed that part of the conversation. Pleas pardon my reaction accordingly...

Peete.

No problem! I know you are always courteous and friendly unless you have good reason!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #3,415 of 7,725
Quote:

Dang it a double post.....

I wonder if CAST inputs for the C2C could be an order time option to make use of a source (Ref 1 DAC for example) with CAST outputs ?

Peete.

I think that was sort of what was implied... except you have to know that it is an option since it is not listed on the C2C page. I think this makes the C2C a really nice option... even better than it was before.
I am thinking that perhaps I will get the new version of the Compass ( assuming all is well with the updated headphone circuit) and ALSO get the C2C. This would allow me to keep the Compass tone settings at Soft 1 or 2 to use with less than ideal recordings, and then have the C2C for the best recordings. I could use the bypass switch to swap between headphone jacks. Then in the future I could add both the Reference 3 ( same size chassis as the Compass) and the new amplifier that Kingwa is designing to match the Compass. This would give me dueling DACs, Preamp out to an amp to power speakers and a CAST connection to a nice headphone amp.
Then add 2 HD800s so that I could have them both plugged into the headphone outs of the Compass and C2C ( so I would not have to unplug to switch amps)... then I could buy a Ferrari... then I could wake up and realize I didn't buy any of this at all!
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #3,416 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lavry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you can buy such adapters from a few manufacturers, but they are not all the same quality. Of course one issue is the mechanical construction, but less obvious is the electrical characteristics. One would think that all of those "simple devices" should be fine, but it is not so! When you order such an adapter, most often the seller does not tell you the manufacturer, and they may substitute a different brand at different times.

One of those adapter brands introduced clear distortions (measured on an Audio Precision test system). I opened it, and the connection was not even a soldered wire, it was based on some really poor "friction" and one of the conductors was the case itself... I was really surprised.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying this
smily_headphones1.gif
It saves us the trouble of wondering if there will be distortion or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not such a bad thing if they make the same difference to the sound that they did for my Northstar.

I trust your ears, so I'll also definitely get the power cord with the compass (or with any of my future audio-gd purchases)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #3,417 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I trust your ears, so I'll also definitely get the power cord with the compass (or with any of my future audio-gd purchases)
smily_headphones1.gif

Trusting your own ears is more important.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #3,419 of 7,725
Cross-Feed sounds like degradation to my ears. Too much changed. I've listened to music without cross feed for too many years, cross feed sounds abnormal to me.

Whether sound is kept pure or not, it sounds wrong to my ears, not a fan.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #3,420 of 7,725
I like crossfeed for some things and certainly wouldn't mind seeing it on any headphone amp as long as it can be completely disengaged. But even though my preference is towards speakers and crossfeed is intended to address a headphone related situation that speakers don't have, I still don't need it the majority of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back