The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #3,376 of 7,725
I can't believe you came here to derail this thread to spread rumors. Incredible. Nowhere in the PDF does it say that it oversamples everything. Stop spreading your rumors.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #3,377 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I care less whether you "believe it" or not, the specs for AD1852 have been already posted. Read it, instead of threadcrapping with your sandbox insults.

Hm, the point is, no one is forcing anyone to get in the sandbox in the first place.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #3,378 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, the point is, no one is forcing anyone to get in the sandbox in the first place.

I agree, but unfortunately I got trapped into it:

"Never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it."

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #3,380 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah whats this thing about up sampling, if someone could help.. I have a suggestion, maybe we ask the admin if they can make it such a way that we have to press send button 3 time to actually send our message - No offense to you mbd and you know that - but sometimes we are all becoming a little hyped up (including me)..

Oh yes !! Curaa Congratulations on becoming Headphoneus Supremus !!
beerchug.gif

Lol, it's only a sign I spend way too much time online.
wink.gif

I don't get hyped up much any more online, I've been doing this too long.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #3,381 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, it's only a sign I spend way too much time online.
wink.gif

I don't get hyped up much any more online, I've been doing this too long.

Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif

--------

Oh btw, Kingwa told me one can order a C2C with CAST input, although either one the RCA or the XLR will have to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #3,382 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif

--------

Oh btw, Kingwa told me one can order a C2C with CAST input, although either one the RCA or the XLR will have to go
smily_headphones1.gif

With that choice I'd have to go with XLR personally, if I was to buy it. Reasoning that the C2C from what I saw initially, no balanced output. Sweet it can accepted balanced XLR input, but without output, well, it's not who cares, but if RCA or XLR has to go, XLR.

Also Kingwa confirmed what I had been saying. It cannot upsample, and the sample process depends on the input. So if someone is too incompetent to setup Foobar, Winamp, Media Monkey or whatever media player, that's their problem. And if you spend 2 minutes reading what oversampling is, then would know, what's been spreading around here lately are just rumors.

Drosera, I also mixed up the two words, hehe, not alone.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #3,383 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that choice I'd have to go with XLR personally, if I was to buy it. Reasoning that the C2C from what I saw initially, no balanced output. Sweet it can accepted balanced XLR input, but without output, well, it's not who cares, but if RCA or XLR has to go, XLR.

Agree, the RCA input is more important since the amp is single ended anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #3,384 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drosera, I also mixed up the two words, hehe, not alone.

Meh, I'm going to spend some time with John Watkinson's Introduction to Digital Audio. I'm getting tired of not quite knowing what I'm talking about.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #3,386 of 7,725
Quote:

I was browsing through the new webpages of REF 1 & 2 and noticed this for both.........

So I guess if I want this I have to factor in an additional 60USD for the cables ..
triportsad.gif

Well, maybe if you ask really really nicely....
normal_smile .gif

Actually it's probably 75$, 60$ is the combo-offer when you're buying a Compass.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #3,387 of 7,725
Ok, I was keen on the XLR - RCA input and SE output issue, so I wrote to him, here is what he replied, I'll just paste it here because I cant yet fully understand and I am writing back for further clarifications, in the meantime if someone understands - glad if you can tell me what it means :

Quote:

In technology, all difference input stage amp(not only our products, but 99% audio products in world also use difference input stage, and all voltage feedback OPA chip use difference input stage, like AD827,OPA2134,ect), XLR input can made the better performance than RCA input. In fact, XLR input although SE output, sound more clear and focused ,and soundstage is larger than RCA input.
Because difference input stage has dual input pots, while in RCA input, either input pots will connect to GND.
If input is XLR signal, the difference input stage will allow both input pots to work, and at the output pots it can kill the distortion and noise of two input signal(XLR hot and cool sign).

See the pix.

attachment.php

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #3,388 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, maybe if you ask really really nicely....
normal_smile .gif

Actually it's probably 75$, 60$ is the combo-offer when you're buying a Compass.

I hope it will also be offered as a combo once those two dacs are available, I wonder how much Ref 2 will sell for
smily_headphones1.gif
And shipping will be more expensive - they each weigh 15kg
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #3,389 of 7,725
Quote:

Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif

--------

smily_headphones1.gif

I am pretty sure that it is fairly simple to make a "pigtail" to adapt the XLR inputs to RCA. You lose the benefits of the XLR connection but it is no worse than RCA ( assuming of course that you use high quality wire and connectors). Lavry is now shipping this with his new DA11.
In this case, I would think having a C2C with XLR and CAST inputs would be prety awesome... in fact.. I am seriously considering ordering one... and then a Reference 3 when it comes out. Then I can move my prototype Compass to my office and have the Ref 3 and C2C CAST Combo running at home... by then, perhaps we will have HD800s thoroughly reviewed... and I can sell my soul for one... that is if my soul increases in value!
wink_face.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #3,390 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeoboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty sure that it is fairly simple to make a "pigtail" to adapt the XLR inputs to RCA.

Maybe we can ask Kingwa to make some of these and make it an optional add-on if the C2C with CAST input becomes popular.

I am also drooling over a possible DAC with CAST combo with the C2C, but the most viable option for me right now is the DAC 19SE, it will probably still be cheaper than the upcoming Reference 1 and 2 DACs
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back