The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 22, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #3,136 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The kits come and go.....this one looks like a killer DAC project that would cost about 500US to finish off properly using a very plain no frills chassis.

Hi-END DIR9001+TDA1541A*4 NOS DAC Kit TDA1541 - (eBay.ca item 220366020427 end time 03-Mar-09 11:16:31 EST)

OT again....sorry.

Peete.

lol that thing looks like a monster... what do you think of the Yulong DAH1? Or was is it les who has the DAH1 to compare against the Compass?

Feb 22, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #3,137 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo true. Its just as fun when it actually works though. My first project was done last year around this time for one of my classes. It was a Mini3 and I made one very beginner mistake and it sucked trying to get it to work XD Once I got it working though, it was elation
dt880smile.png

I've done a fair share of electronics design/building/testing.
The debugging can be a little frustrating at times but at the end of the day things tend to turn out alright.
After all said and done, I have found the whole experience to be rewarding including the frustrating parts.
I think it is less fun for everything to go right all the way. Takes away some of the challenge.
The joy of seeing something you laboured to create working is just wonderful.

Anyway it looks like I will be holding out for the new front panel Compass...
Just ordered a HD650 in anticipation
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3,138 of 7,725
I know what you mean about debugging. Past experiences have always shown that can be the most frustrating. When I built my point-to-point starving student the only mistake I made was not understanding how to read the actual tube wiring part of the diagram fully. Now I know.

More or less I know what I will do next when I've got more time, I laid out a circuit board diagram for a Meier crossfeed (Corda Cross-1) this afternoon but haven't had a chance to check it fully for errors. Since I want to make my own circuit board for it that either means etching it myself or finding a service to do it. From what I've seen there are a couple pretty cheap services out there that bundle many projects together in to one big manufacturing run so you can get a small circuit board for $20. I was originally planning to just etch one myself, haven't done that in a while though so it will be a fun experiment. Looks like etching kits start around $40 but I haven't looked much yet... if I could actually get a board made and predrilled (hopefully) for $20-30 I might try that too just to see how it is... would potentially be cheaper than etching my own.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #3,139 of 7,725
PHEW! I had to spend a couple days away from Head-Fi last weekend, and it's taken me this long (and some marathon reading sessions) to catch up with the 70+ pages of brain fart here since Peete's excellent review seven days ago.
wink.gif

I completely missed the panel design process and voting; didn't reach the part of the thread with the polls until they they were already closed. That being said, I'm pleased with the final result, and am quite relieved that the gimmicky all-icon scheme has fallen by the wayside.

I definitely want to commend the efforts of csroc and all who contributed. Though, it's all moot for me anyway, as I'll be getting one of the 30 with the original panels.

In terms of nomenclature, wouldn't it be most accurate to refer to the three versions of Compass as RC1 (the first 18), RC2 (the next 30), and Version 1 (shipping late March)?

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #3,140 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PHEW! I had to spend a couple days away from Head-Fi last weekend, and it's taken me this long (and some marathon reading sessions) to catch up with the 70+ pages of brain fart here since Peete's excellent review seven days ago.
wink.gif

I completely missed the panel design process and voting; didn't reach the part of the thread with the polls until they they were already closed. That being said, I'm pleased with the final result, and am quite relieved that the gimmicky all-icon scheme has fallen by the wayside.

I definitely want to commend the efforts of csroc and all who contributed. Though, it's all moot for me anyway, as I'll be getting one of the 30 with the original panels.

In terms of nomenclature, wouldn't it be most accurate to refer to the three versions of Compass as RC1 (the first 18), RC2 (the next 30), and Version 1 (shipping late March)?

Hmm... Good question.... maybe... just maybe... perhaps we should have a poll?
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #3,141 of 7,725
Part of that fun is having those challenges and then overcoming them. The sense of relief one feels when the bugger works as it should (after a number of failures) can't be adequately expressed with words....more like a combo jump in the air followed by an emphatic "YES" declaration
biggrin.gif

The listening test is the reward !!!!!!!

Just for fun what might you guys look at with the Compass to get even more from it ? Mods and tweaks big or small. No topology changes being the one rule or guideline.

I know what I'd like to try but it might be fun to examine a few ideas just for speculative purposes in the thread.

Peete.

PS : Thanks idunno and good idea. Compass Rev 1 makes sense to me.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #3,142 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The forum is burning in for the worse.

I hope no one decides to get an aftermarket cable after this, I think you should only consider it if you are already happy with the sound of an already burned-in headphone

sorry you didnt see the funny side of my post. i had no intention of buying a cable anyway.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #3,143 of 7,725
I really haven't put thought in to what different names the Compasses should have. I just use what I see others using so there's V1, V2a and V2b and at least that's easy enough for me to keep track of.

As far as modding goes I don't really plan to mod the Compass, however if I end up buying a new-new one when the new design is out and all that is set (I'm biting my nails hoping that everything stays in alignment through the machining and silkscreening phases) rather than trading my beta unit in then I might use the beta as the guinea pig for modding.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #3,144 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as modding goes I don't really plan to mod the Compass, however if I end up buying a new-new one when the new design is out and all that is set (I'm biting my nails hoping that everything stays in alignment through the machining and silkscreening phases) rather than trading my beta unit in then I might use the beta as the guinea pig for modding.

Actually its a great idea, keeping the original Compass for mods and getting the new version too - keeping Kingwa's offer in mind..

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #3,145 of 7,725
It certainly can't hurt to talk about possible tweaks. Whether they are used or not is another story entirely.

Peete.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #3,146 of 7,725
Quote:

It certainly can't hurt to talk about possible tweaks. Whether they are used or not is another story entirely.

Peete.

I agree, even though I feel since Compass is much thought out by itself making it a quality gear, it will be very hard to get a jump from say Zero and Franken Zero - but something like tweaks to make it suit ones personal taste - looks likely..

EDIT - That being said, I think if you have Moded a much raved about preamp like Adcom to sound even much better- then I guess anything is possible - although it really depends on experience and DIY skills. So maybe after everything settles down this can be talked about in another thread like Compass Mods..

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #3,147 of 7,725
Speaking of tweaks, I'm finding the Moon a good match for my HD-600s, with its slightly wider soundstage.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #3,148 of 7,725
Interesting Curra.....makes SENNse
biggrin.gif

Sandchak I was thinking along the lines of some high quality bypass caps in strategic areas
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #3,149 of 7,725
Quote:

Interesting Curra.....makes SENNse
biggrin.gif

Sandchak I was thinking along the lines of some high quality bypass caps in strategic areas
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Well, knowing what you can come up with.. I quicky made an edit to my last post..
icon10.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #3,150 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, even though I feel since Compass is much thought out by itself making it a quality gear, it will be very hard to get a jump from say Zero and Franken Zero - but something like tweaks to make it suit ones personal taste - looks likely..

Yes... I have a few ideas that I want to work with to see if the tone switching can be done "on the fly" and also I have a couple ideas for making the super switch a rotary selector to access preamp AND bypass functions.
But I will wait til I get my "new design" Compass.

I also want to see a few pictures of the new motherboard and internals as well as getting some reviews on the new version before I order one. I don't want to order a new one and then find out the old one was better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back