The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #1,966 of 7,725
I don't get it, it DacMagic seems to be a pure DAC to me...Its the Zero that would seem to be less than pure DAC if its coloring the music to be more musical...by that description.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #1,967 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it, it DacMagic seems to be a pure DAC to me...Its the Zero that would seem to be less than pure DAC if its coloring the music to be more musical...by that description.

IMHO DAC doesnt mean to be analytical and accurate, even Kingwa does produces three kind of sound signature between his products, the typical accurate type, DAC3SE tube like type and lastly in between DAC7 type. It hugely depends on your favor and your system synergy.

My last post just to expose the forummer's comments that ZERO dac's capability does surpass DacMagic with same amount of music details yet more easy listening to. This bold statement certainly makes Audio-GD's COMPASS more attractive since it's DAC capability > ZERO dac > DacMagic.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #1,968 of 7,725
Yeah that thread you posted there seems a bit meh to me. That and I think Cambridge Audio would be very surprised the Zero to be better than theirs, I'd be surprised if Compass DAC was better than the DacMagic.

The only good thing I got out of that thread is the mentioning of the DAC7010. That looks interesting.
http://alvin1118.blogspot.com/2008/0...d-dac7010.html

Looks very cool with matching pre-amp. DAC is on top.
IMG_0003-2.jpg

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,969 of 7,725
I've read several reports of the dac magic not being that good. From everything I read, more money was put into it having alot of bells and whistles. I've never heard it, so I don't know. Just going on everything I've read.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,970 of 7,725
mbd2884;5417928 said:
Yeah that thread you posted there seems a bit meh to me. That and I think Cambridge Audio would be very surprised the Zero to be better than theirs, I'd be surprised if Compass DAC was better than the DacMagic.

The only good thing I got out of that thread is the mentioning of the DAC7010. That looks interesting.
Alvin's Blog: HI-End DAC7010 <Digital Coaxial, Optical, USB Interface>

The DAC7010 is built by Taiwanese if I'm not wrong
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh ya, I just check out from the thread, the reviewer's ZERO dac was in STOCK form during the comparison
popcorn.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #1,971 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Alvin's Blog: HI-End DAC7010 <Digital Coaxial, Optical, USB Interface>

The DAC7010 is built by Taiwanese if I'm not wrong
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh ya, I just check out from the thread, the reviewer's ZERO dac was in STOCK form during the comparison
popcorn.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #1,972 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, my budget is less than 400 USD.

There are other DACs that I am looking at, but seeing as this is the Compass thread, I'll limit my discussion to that.

Hi,
I got a deal for you. How about a Free trial of the Compass? You buy the Compass at the ridiculously low price now. Use if for 90 days non-stop. Take it to meets, compare to other DACs in your area. Then when the price adjusts and people are saying, man I wish I had bought one for that price, you jump up and say SOLD!!

In other words, there is no way to lose here.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #1,973 of 7,725
I am still waiting for earth, and moon. I had a "chat" with DHL and found out when pkg gets to usa, they transfer to usps. so pkg arrived in LA on monday. I live in oregon. I tracked usps number and pkg went to New Jersey! now it is being shipped from NJ to Oregon and I should get by Sat night. Just a little info about DHL, hope they get they're act together.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #1,974 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So just to make perfectly clear, there is no rush to buy it immediately since we have a few months starting at the end of February, right? I just want to make completely sure since I'll be away for a little while and don;t want to miss my chances at this sweet deal!!
biggrin.gif

Looks like Kingwa recently updated the Compass page saying the promotional price will at least last until the end of May

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #1,975 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still waiting for earth, and moon. I had a "chat" with DHL and found out when pkg gets to usa, they transfer to usps. so pkg arrived in LA on monday. I live in oregon. I tracked usps number and pkg went to New Jersey! now it is being shipped from NJ to Oregon and I should get by Sat night. Just a little info about DHL, hope they get they're act together.

So far I received a power cord and the Compass from Audio-gd at two different times, both arrived 3 business days after receiving email they were shipped.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,976 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD View Post

USPS = They are the problem in that equation. LOL Big D I don't feel so bad now, I have been waiting since Feb 3 for some software that shipped from nevada to Richmond, CA, to Kansas and now tracking says its in Seattle. I'm in Oregon, What?

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #1,977 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok SerpentD,

1) Even if you order today, you get the Version 2 of the Compass, which will be available from the end of Feb, catch 7-10days more because only after all feedbacks from the current users are received, Kingwa will make the necessary changes, which will be basically the Version2 or the final version.

2) Prices will remain same when you buy the version 2, which is USD258 + shipping, this promotional price will remain effective till April at least as far as my knowledge goes.

Hope this helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can only purchase version 2, at the promotional price. It will be ready at the end of Feb. Version 1 only went to the testers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clear this up. There is no V1 or V2. There is a Prototype/Beta tester unit in a run of 20 or so, and there is the Compass that will be released Late February.

The Compass will be available at a Promo price for a few months starting in Late February. It can be pre-ordered now.

Thank you very much everyone for clearing that up for me. It all makes sense now. As far as pre-ordering goes on the Audio-Gd web site, do we just email him and kind of go from there? The site is just a little confusing to me. But then again, a lot of this stuff has been. Quite the learning curve going into this hobby to say the least. Thank goodness for you "Vets" out there.

Also, when ordering, it appears that we can also order the different OPA things? Like the Earth, Moon...(I hope I'm using the proper terminology here, I don't even know what OPA stands for). Anyway, are the different OPA's easily interchangeable or not really? I have years of soldering skills if this is all that is needed. I just figured I would order all the accessories right off the bat is why I ask to cut down on future shipping.

Now my final rookie question, can I also hook up an amp to this thing? Something like the MK III or similar, or no need to really? Sorry again for these simple questions, but like I mentioned earlier, I am literally just starting out and have no one else to turn to for advice. I should get my first set of 'real' headphones today actually, this is how new I am to the hobby. But you need to start somewhere, right.
tongue.gif

Thank you again everyone for your help here. I hope these questions are in line with this thread. I don't want to be an ass and hijack anything.
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #1,978 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpentd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much everyone for clearing that up for me. It all makes sense now. As far as pre-ordering goes on the Audio-Gd web site, do we just email him and kind of go from there? The site is just a little confusing to me. But then again, a lot of this stuff has been. Quite the learning curve going into this hobby to say the least. Thank goodness for you "Vets" out there.

Quote:

Just send an email to the Email address on the site and tell him your address and what you want, and he'll give you an amount to Paypal to that Email address. He is a pleasure to deal with.

Also, when ordering, it appears that we can also order the different OPA things? Like the Earth, Moon...(I hope I'm using the proper terminology here, I don't even know what OPA stands for). Anyway, are the different OPA's easily interchangeable or not really? I have years of soldering skills if this is all that is needed. I just figured I would order all the accessories right off the bat is why I ask to cut down on future shipping.

Quote:

They snap in and out in seconds, lust remember how the notch is oriented. Turn power off between switches

Now my final rookie question, can I also hook up an amp to this thing? Something like the MK III or similar, or no need to really? Sorry again for these simple questions, but like I mentioned earlier, I am literally just starting out and have no one else to turn to for advice. I should get my first set of 'real' headphones today actually, this is how new I am to the hobby. But you need to start somewhere, right.
tongue.gif

Quote:

You can hook up another headphone amp to the DAC outs, or go to amplified speakers with the Preamp outs using the Compass volume control. It does everything you can think of believe me.

Thank you again everyone for your help here. I hope these questions are in line with this thread. I don't want to be an ass and hijack anything.
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #1,979 of 7,725
He also accepts Western Union, which I used, worked out fine, he got my payment within hours and verified. Very easy.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #1,980 of 7,725
Yay, Peete's gone green. I look forward to reading it at breakfast tomorrow! (See, no pressure..., no pressure at all.
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back