The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 13, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #1,936 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be a big step for Audio-gd. Having an official "location" in NA would be a real plus for the comfort of unsure buyers.

I agree too, this would be the best way to go International, and apart from the trust factor, Kingwa seems to think, that although he sells 90% of his stuffs in China/HK, they share a kind of teacher-student relationship (that because of the culture I assume), while he enjoys selling more to international customers as they give me more feedbacks, whether its negative or positive, in this way he seems to learn more, which he doesn't get get from local buyers because of the relationship I just spoke about.. so I guess its just not good for his business but good for him too..

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #1,937 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the preamp function during the review process the equal of the modified Adcom GFP-750. That surprised the hell out of me since I didn't exspect the Compass to compete with it let alone better it.

Does this mean that the unit Peete is reviewing has the extra Preamp out (2 sets of RCA outputs in total)? I wonder if version 2 will have the preamp outputs as a standard feature...

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #1,938 of 7,725
Yes, he has the one with preamp out and the upgraded version will come with it as default..

Edit, it has one set of preamp (RCA) out and one DAC out (RCA) .. I hope I read you correctly..

rear panel pic of the one Peete is using attached.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #1,939 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit, it has one set of preamp (RCA) out and one DAC out (RCA) .. I hope I read you correctly..

Yup. 1 RCA output for external preamp/integrated amp and 1 RCA output for power amp. Thanks for clarifying.

I guess this means it's worth waiting for Version 2 (apparently the final version)

when I emailed, Kingwa said it would be out around the end of February.

I can't wait!
normal_smile .gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #1,940 of 7,725
Man I hope they got good stock of v2 when it's out. Add me to the list of people counting the days!

Anyone know if Pacific Valve and Electric is going to stock this? I'd rather buy it locally if I can, if only to try to help them stay afloat. This economy has been brutal on a lot of high-end retailers
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #1,941 of 7,725
Prickley, I just came across you mentioning in another thread that you have the MKIII. Thats the bday amp that Im debating on getting. Youll have the exact 3 components that I am debating jumping into Compass>MKIII>HD650. Your review is further anticipated =D

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #1,942 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I hope they got good stock of v2 when it's out. Add me to the list of people counting the days!

Anyone know if Pacific Valve and Electric is going to stock this? I'd rather buy it locally if I can, if only to try to help them stay afloat. This economy has been brutal on a lot of high-end retailers
frown.gif

Ok here is the story about Audio GD and Pacific Valves, Pacific valves had approached kingwa about their interest on Audio GD products and taking up the agency route all US customers through them, but kingwa unforunately could not locate their website and so he refused. Following which Pacific Valves picked up some stuffs from Audio GD - what you see on their website now. So there is actually no official tie up, although he is giving it a serious thought.
About Compass, I appreciate the way you think, but I do not think that will happen, not untill they both come to some agreement (which I personally hope for) and surely not before the promotional period is over..

Hope this helps.

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #1,943 of 7,725
Hey there all you current and future Compass owners. I have a question about the availability of the Compass that I'm a bit confused about. Sorry, I'm brand new to this hobby and to this wonderful site as well, so please forgive my confusion.

My question is, are we able to purchase the Compass as of now, or when the V2 is complete? I understand that there is the temporary introductory price, but not sure what this applies to exactly. Does this mean that when the V2 is done and in production and available to the public it will have this introductory price? Or is the Compass available now for purchase with the introductory price, although being V1 since V2 isn't done yet? I want to order one, but the website was sort of difficult to understand somewhat on ordering and what not. Not to mention it seems people currently have the Compass, but not sure if this was the "Testers" only.

I'm sure I'm reading too much into this, but if someone could please help clear up when or if the Compass is available for purchase with the temporary introductory price (estimate time frame anyway). Sorry if this is a "DUH" question. I think I've just read too much too fast about the Compass and all the other info on this site that my brain is on temporary overload. This hobby can be very overwhelming for the nOOb as myself.
confused_face.gif

Thank you, I appreciate anybody's help on clearing this up for me.
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #1,944 of 7,725
Ok SerpentD,

1) Even if you order today, you get the Version 2 of the Compass, which will be available from the end of Feb, catch 7-10days more because only after all feedbacks from the current users are received, Kingwa will make the necessary changes, which will be basically the Version2 or the final version.

2) Prices will remain same when you buy the version 2, which is USD258 + shipping, this promotional price will remain effective till April at least as far as my knowledge goes.

Hope this helps

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #1,945 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by inF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to hear impressions of HD 600 & Compass combo, if any
smily_headphones1.gif

I posted a quick summary earlier: It's quite good with the HD-600, but the soundstage on some music is a little bit closed. On a live performance by Jeff Buckley, it sounded as if I was standing behind the audience, whereas with my C2C it's as if I'm standing in the midst of them. Remember though that HD-600s (and 650s) are cans that people pair with cables that cost more than the headphones themselves, and amps that cost thousands of dollars, because they scale that well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpentd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there all you current and future Compass owners. I have a question about the availability of the Compass that I'm a bit confused about. Sorry, I'm brand new to this hobby and to this wonderful site as well, so please forgive my confusion.

My question is, are we able to purchase the Compass as of now, or when the V2 is complete? I understand that there is the temporary introductory price, but not sure what this applies to exactly. Does this mean that when the V2 is done and in production and available to the public it will have this introductory price? Or is the Compass available now for purchase with the introductory price, although being V1 since V2 isn't done yet? I want to order one, but the website was sort of difficult to understand somewhat on ordering and what not. Not to mention it seems people currently have the Compass, but not sure if this was the "Testers" only.

You can only purchase version 2, at the promotional price. It will be ready at the end of Feb. Version 1 only went to the testers.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #1,948 of 7,725
Good folks of the Compass thread,

I have a Zero w/ HDAM. I only use the DAC section, I have a DV332 for an amp.

I'm looking to upgrade my Zero. I don't want a small, incremental upgrade, I want a big step up.

I have no DIY skills, hence can't perform the Franken-mod.

Is the Compass what I'm looking for?

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #1,949 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good folks of the Compass thread,

I have a Zero w/ HDAM. I only use the DAC section, I have a DV332 for an amp.

I'm looking to upgrade my Zero. I don't want a small, incremental upgrade, I want a big step up.

I have no DIY skills, hence can't perform the Franken-mod.

Is the Compass what I'm looking for?

Compass as a package is a big jump from ZERO as a whole, I am saying this because the HP section of Compass is far better than ZERO.. You will lose out on the goodness of Compass if you want to only use it as a DAC, DAC100 comes to my mind but Compass DAC section is as good as DAC100..

Actually it depends how much incremental means for you, yes, compass as a whole is an upgrade from Stock Zero with HDAMS or for that matter even Franken Zero (surely Peete would address that better in his review), but if I read his lines well, he says Compass goes into the main rig as DAC till reference one comes, so it says a lot about Compass's ability as a DAC and significant jump from Franken Zero, if that latter is being kicked over to the head fi rig !!..

I know I haven't answered your question, so to put it shortly, Is Compass an upgrade to ZERO - the answer is certainly YES, but how much is that incremental jump is something you have to judge..

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #1,950 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Compass an upgrade to ZERO - the answer is certainly YES, but how much is that incremental jump is something you have to judge..

The main problem here is, it's very hard to think of another DAC that would give you the same performance as the Compass DAC for just 258 USD.

For a truly huge upgrade though, you might want to wait and save a little and buy the upcoming Reference Three DAC. (Am I an Audio-gd groupie now? You betcha.
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back