The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 12, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #1,906 of 7,725
Hi Guys....I've been plugging away at this monster now for over 5 hours straight today and still have loads of stuff to write.

But I am making good headway. Just about finished the DAC round up but this is going slower than I would like it too. My problem is as I complete sections I load them into a preview window and then correct spelling, proof read and change fonts etc as I go, that way when it's done it's ready to post immediately. Another issue is having to write this on the fly from the rough notes and have it all be fluid and interesting at the same time. That's another big time consumer. A quick typist I am not.

Listing all the parameters, gear etc...took me most of yesterday and part of today. Needless to say I'm taking a short break right now for some lunch (15 minutes or so).

I know one thing...when I finish this thing I'm gonna have a beer and a nap
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #1,908 of 7,725
It's a big review Sandchak. I'm going as fast as I can. What can I say except I'm trying my best to get it done.

I think once you see the size and scope of this you'll quickly understand why it's taking as long as it is.

In the meantime how about posting some thoughts of your own, you must have more hours on your Compass than I have besides it'll keep you busy while you wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #1,909 of 7,725
My impression of the Compass.

There isn't enough time between sleeping (which is limited because listening to Compass), working and the g/f for me to enjoy the Compass. I need way more time please. I've already missed my normal train in the morning twice in the last two weeks because of listening to Compass...

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #1,911 of 7,725
Compass doesn't need a big review. It really is a fantastic sounding piece of kit. It is instantly engaging and dynamic, but not in the slightest bit fatiguing after an extended 'session'. It is extremely detailed, but never "shrill" or "tinny", and the bass has "attack" and "slam", yet is never overbearing or artificial.

It is beautifully crafted, the audio output sublime - I want to use the word perfect, but that wouldn't be right as I can't compare to everything else in the world. But it is a thoroughly superb machine in every aspect. Kingwa has an intense thumbs-up from me for his product
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #1,913 of 7,725
My hard drive took a dump just as I was uploading the last set of pics to photobucket.

The good news is all the pics are safe and all the text etc I have completed today saved to a USB keydrive.

In the meantime I'm on the wife's laptop and may have to complete the review with it. No big deal but the desktop going for dump really ticks me off....this is a fresh OS install on a brand spankin new Seagate drive. I'm attempting to recover the MBR at the moment but I'm not sure if that will be successful.

Anyway that puts an end to any more work on the review (gee thanks AP ya bum
smily_headphones1.gif
) for today. At least for the time being while I attempt to recover my system intact.

Either way I'll continue to write the review on whatever computer works.

Peete.

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #1,915 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My hard drive took a dump just as I was uploading the last set of pics to photobucket.

The good news is all the pics are safe and all the text etc I have completed today saved to a USB keydrive.

In the meantime I'm on the wife's laptop and may have to complete the review with it. No big deal but the desktop going for dump really ticks me off....this is a fresh OS install on a brand spankin new Seagate drive. I'm attempting to recover the MBR at the moment but I'm not sure if that will be successful.

Anyway that puts an end to any more work on the review (gee thanks AP ya bum
smily_headphones1.gif
) for today. At least for the time being while I attempt to recover my system intact.

Peete.

Ugh, what an annoyance. Though with all the problems Seagate has been having lately, it's not terribly surprising... Good luck on recovering the machine and I eagerly await the review
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #1,916 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by WC Annihilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, what an annoyance. Though with all the problems Seagate has been having lately, it's not terribly surprising... Good luck on recovering the machine and I eagerly await the review
smily_headphones1.gif

I wanted to build a NAS RAID with (8) 1.5TB Seagate drives and the failure rate was astronomical!! All thes companies go thru cycles, except maybe Hitachi which I don't remeber going thru one of these cycles but it could have happened when I wasn't using their drives.

Tough break though, nobody likes this happening to them.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #1,917 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(gee thanks AP ya bum
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Always happy to help!
wink.gif

Quote:

Peete.

Years back, I was asked to write an article on CPU overclocking for a fairly big UK magazine. I didn't really want to do it, but they contacted me about it, and offered me a decent wedge of cash. I tried several times to make a start, and couldn't get anything I was happy with. Then one day, it all started flowing just right... I got about 1/2 way through writing everything, rebooted the machine to wind the speed up for some benchmarks and screenshots.

First batch went well, as did the second. But the third time round, I'd overclocked too far and taken the PCI bus way out of spec. I got some screenshots, then the machine hung. I rebooted, and it would no longer boot.

Much of the hard drive was corrupt, and all my work was lost. I gave in, I reinstalled that evening, and emailed the magazine to tell them I couldn't complete it. They weren't happy...
biggrin.gif

Sounds like you had a luckier escape than I
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #1,919 of 7,725
Its great of you to be doing such a thorough review for us, I have heard nothing but good things so far, but am definately looking forward to your review when it comes out. Thanks Peete!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back