The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 12, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #1,861 of 7,725
While I was browsing the Computer Audio forum, I read a bunch of threads of which media players Head-Fiers used and some comparisons. Media Monkey popped up a few times.

So I'm using Media Monkey with ASIO output from Otachan version .67 SSE2. It was a lot easier to setup to use with ASIO4All than Foobar2000. In fact I'll stretch farther, its much easier to use than Foobar2000 in just about in every way. Its a lot more pleasing to the eyes a plus.

It is still compatible with the MAD mp3 decoder, and yes it definitely sounds different. Seems to have dither built into the decoder and sounds as if it already has a EQ setting within it also. I can't tell if the quality has decreased, but the bass is sounds the same as if I used an EQ on Foobar2000, but its cleaner. Seems there is plenty of debate about MAD, many love it, some don't, like anything Audio.

With Media Monkey, once you use ASIO output, there is no software volume control. Yes with volume control disabled, I have to admit to get very full volume on the DAC its at 8 o Clock.

As for Foobar2000, I hear no degradation of sound as I decrease volume on it. The volume control on Foobar2000 must be different from Media Monkey or WinAmp, I can't disable it. And read somewhere else saying it couldn't be disabled either. At least with version .9.6.2

Looking forward to your review Peete.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #1,862 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to your review Peete.

X2
popcorn.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #1,863 of 7,725
I've re-booked a DAC1 listening session for Sunday (Saturday US/EU time), so I can complete my review. I think I wont be able to compete with PP's review though, which will be epic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, to my ears and with my gear, I'd want the sound(of the DAC) to be very much left as it was on the pre-production units. It's sublime, smooth yet detailed... utterly perfect.

~Phewl.

Don't worry over it so much, the difference is so small I doubt you'd notice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjlucas76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried the OPA627BP on my headamp to replace a couple of AD797AN and the difference was quiet stunning in terms of speed and quality, but the bass and the sound coming from dark were missing. lucky for me I have ordered together with them a couple of AD797BRZ and 2 nice SOIC to DIP converters.

The results? uhm I need to say that who was saying that the AD797BRZ are better then the OPA627BP was right and I can only confirm that they actually have both qualities from the OPA627BP and the AD797AN. Excellent choice for your preamp or DAC.

Cheers.

Where did you get your AD797BRZ and adaptors from? I'd really like to try this opamp.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #1,864 of 7,725
Hello,

"Compass price is USD258.
SHipping cost is USD80.
Paypal handling charge is 4%.
Total price is USD351.52.
We will affirm the Compass price is USD50 for your custom, but I don't know how much tax you need to pay.
"

could somebody explain the last USD50 part?

Thank you.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #1,865 of 7,725
Don't worry about it Curra (competing with mine). I'm looking forward to your review and I'm pretty darn sure it will be a really good informative piece.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the N-Star and the Benchmark DAC 1.

Your review IMO is another critical piece of the puzzle. Is it Lobster Stan's DAC 1 ? I forget who you said had it ....

Peete.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #1,866 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by inF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

SHipping cost is USD80.
We will affirm the Compass price is USD50 for your custom, but I don't know how much tax you need to pay.
"

Thank you.

He means the declared value for the package will be 50USD, for customs/tax purposes and not the full value, to avoid big taxes in countries that do charge them.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #1,867 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by inF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

SHipping cost is USD80.
"

Thank you.

That's the declaration value Kingwa wrote for Customs processing once the unit arrives in your country.

Listing it at 50US is doing you a rather large favor.

Peete.

Dang it DaMneD ya beat me to it
smily_headphones1.gif
........Nice to see you BTW !

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #1,868 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get your AD797BRZ and adaptors from? I'd really like to try this opamp.

I got mine from Newark. They're also available from Digi-Key. I used a Browndog 2xSoic-8 to Dip-8 adapter: Single-to-dual Op-Amp Adapter (p/n 020302)

In my D1's L/R, they produced astounding, aggressive bass that was rather addictive. They left the highs a little wanting, though I suppose that was a good fit with the DT-880.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #1,869 of 7,725
Ok, here is a little offbeat message among all the technical posts, I had this feeling lately and I thought I should key it down – although I hope it doesn’t sound like an obituary!!

Looking back, to me this really has been a celebration of audio.. it all started with Curra’s novel idea ,Kingwa taking up the gauntlet and Peete’s unflappable dedication.. Of course we have all also chipped in our bits to give life to Compass.

I am absolutely sure there may be gears out there in the market which would give Compass a run for the money at the price it will finally be, although I doubt at this price, but personally to me it’s almost become a secondary issue, because I am sure not many or any gears we know of has come to life like Compass has.. Honestly, I don’t want this side of the story (emotions) to cloud over the actual purpose of Compass (machine) being developed – but to say the truth actually Compass has turned out to be a freaking good piece of gear with or without any feelings attached - still personally to me it will be hard to ignore that part and no matter where I end up in the ladder, compass will be very special.

Well, I don’t want to sound like a big fart – pardon me if I already am sounding like one – but I personally would like to thank everyone for giving me this tremendous experience.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #1,872 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Peete has failed to meet my 12 hour deadline now.

I hope you're not disappointed.
biggrin.gif

He said he might pull an all-nighter and post it at 9 o'clock in the morning. (So that's still 7 hours from now.) You gotta admire the dedication. It could also be that he's fallen asleep at the keyboard of course.

Speaking of reviews. Is there any chance you could do a comparison between the Compass DAC and the DAC of your NAD cd player? Might be interesting.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #1,873 of 7,725
I have not even moved the Compass over to where my NAD is. If I had the money I might just buy a new version outright and move one of them over there, but I don't so my Starving Student will play alternative amp duties when I don't use the HP output from my NAD amp.

I need a new computer chair more than I need another Compass.
biggrin.gif

I'll play around with it and see if I can discern any particular differences.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #1,874 of 7,725
Hi guys....I'm beat and need some sleep.

So it's off to bed for me. I'll be back at it first thing in the morning.

Peete.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #1,875 of 7,725
Quote:

I have not even moved the Compass over to where my NAD is. If I had the money I might just buy a new version outright and move one of them over there, but I don't so my Starving Student will play alternative amp duties when I don't use the HP output from my NAD amp.

See if you can get round to it. If it doesn't work out, I might be able to try a comparison with my NAD C541. But the problems with the transport there are such, that I would have to unscrew the whole transport section just to get a cd in there. Rather cumbersome.

Quote:

I need a new computer chair more than I need another Compass.
biggrin.gif

You really need to get your priorities straight, you know.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys....I'm beat and need some sleep. So it's off to bed for me. I'll be back at it first thing in the morning.

Goodnight Peete!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back