The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jan 4, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #242 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want the Neutrik socket, trust me. The Chinese one is crap. I had channel drop-out on my C2C with it, until I bent the internal pins to give better contact. It also doesn't lock properly, leaving 1-2mm of play (!!) in the plug, which I've never even had with a non-locking socket.

I'll very rarely be using the headphone amplifier, as I primarily use my Stax rig.

The expensive socket offers no real value to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #243 of 7,725
I am quite sure, if you ask Kingwa, he would make one for you without the Neutrik plugs, he does custom fittings for customers and it might save you 8 bucks, but thinking long term, I think the Neutrik would serve as a good resale value - if in case you want to sell the Compass in the future.. IMHO..

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #244 of 7,725
Man I am totally stoked about this I was looking for an entry level DAC that had optical (mac User) with headphone amp to replace an AMC integrated that is a little beat done w issues. Comon tax refund daddy needs a new toy!

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #246 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To Currawong

Don't you think it is time that we mention the name of Compass DAC + Headphone amp on the subject of this thread - now that we at least have the name confirmed and very soon the product too??..

Done.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #248 of 7,725
Hey guys would this be good as a receiver for your HTPC? Also how good is the USB Dac?

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #249 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys would this be good as a receiver for your HTPC? Also how good is the USB Dac?

It wouldn't unless you only have a pair of speakers for stereo or you're only gonna be using your headphone. Most external DACs can only decode 2 channels audio and have no capability in decoding DTS or DD.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #250 of 7,725
If you are using your HTPC just for 2 channel listening, and with headphones, it would work. It'd also be a fine DAC for using with a separate integrated amp + speakers if that was how you were gonna use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back