The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Dec 19, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #61 of 7,725
Looks like a nice job by audio-gd, I've really liked talking with Kingwa - I think his thinking and design ethos.

So much so that I've ordered the DAC-3SE, with twin RCA outputs to feed my headamp and main amp seperatly (nice to get the builder to modify the unit before it leaves the shop). Its currently being tested and will be shipped on Monday, so it be here after xmass, in the lull before new year, so I'll burn it in and write a review.

I've found a friend that uses his PC as his source, so I'm shipping him my Zero, as the noise want be such a factor.

One thought about the Compass, with only a 50W transformer, I assume that will only power one HDAM?

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #65 of 7,725
I am not sure if I have ever seen any vendor reacting this fast. I know there are a lot of good guys in the head-fi business, but at least putting together something "new" from more or less "our specs" was lightning fast IMO.
Hope the casework and quality will be the same, but I don't dubt this at this moment.

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #66 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure if I have ever seen any vendor reacting this fast. I know there are a lot of good guys in the head-fi business, but at least putting together something "new" from more or less "our specs" was lightning fast IMO.

It's probably about time a vendor really listened to what the buyers wanted to buy
smily_headphones1.gif
its a win-win situation, proven by the E3 (which has given rise to the E5) and Kingwa's HDAMs. I'm sure he's eager to get this out ASAP and we're equally eager to know how it sounds

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Knobs, no buttons.

Agreed here for volume but for changing functions (e.g. bypassing the HP amp if possible) I still think buttons are better. I realised this when dealing with my SVDAC05's digital volume adjustment - a nice fat knob like on the Zero is much better

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #67 of 7,725
I think that Kingwa pretty much has most of the basic concepts down pat, based on a modular system, such as the buffers and other circuits, so all he has to do is take the basic components he's already perfected and merge them into the device we desire.

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #69 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed here for volume but for changing functions (e.g. bypassing the HP amp if possible) I still think buttons are better.

The idea is that with the knob/switch, you can keep it at your preferred setting without having to select it them every time you turn on the DAC/amp, with the ZERO and it's buttons if you don't use the default setting (DAC only + optical), you have to press buttons every time...(resets to default on shut-down) like activating the Head-Amp/pre-amp, switching to coax input... switch is better for this reason.

It is possible to implement memory "in the buttons" (and auto-detect for the input used, if only one is used at the time) but that would just add unnecessary complications and cost.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #70 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offence to him and I know this doesn't affect the quality of the product but he also needs to fix up the engrish on the Compass page
smily_headphones1.gif

Have never heard of 'engrish'. Can you tell me where I may learn it?
wink.gif

~Phewl

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #71 of 7,725
Hello,
Just found this thread from the Zero thread. Tons of pages and it doesn't even exist yet! Volume Knob instead of buttons, yes. Keep the Head amp, yes.

Is the estimated $250 a delivered price or is shipping on top of this?

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #72 of 7,725
I think it is for the unit only.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #73 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
Just found this thread from the Zero thread. Tons of pages and it doesn't even exist yet! Volume Knob instead of buttons, yes. Keep the Head amp, yes.

Is the estimated $250 a delivered price or is shipping on top of this?

Shipping extra.. confirmed.

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #75 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The idea is that with the knob/switch, you can keep it at your preferred setting without having to select it them every time you turn on the DAC/amp, with the ZERO and it's buttons if you don't use the default setting (DAC only + optical), you have to press buttons every time...(resets to default on shut-down) like activating the Head-Amp/pre-amp, switching to coax input... switch is better for this reason.

It is possible to implement memory "in the buttons" (and auto-detect for the input used, if only one is used at the time) but that would just add unnecessary complications and cost.

Oh you mean like a knob that has stepped increments at different "o'clocks" yeah okay that's a good idea. I was going to mention the memory function on the SVDAC05 which costs the same as a Zero but I guess a knob like that could cut costs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back