The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Dec 3, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #46 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, back to the important stuff, the latest details from Kingwa of Audio-gd:

Input choices will be:
USB
COAX
OPT
RCA input for the headphone amp (bypassing the DAC).
The on/off switch will allow choosing just the DAC or the DAC+headphone amp.

The price will still be around US$250, though hopefully a bit lower. This is with no profit! He's going to have to make it well as he'll make a complete loss if anything is faulty.

OPT meaning optical, correct?
How soon can we expect for this to be available for purchase?
This will be my first DAC/Amp for my computer, which is awesome because I was really wanting something better than the Zero in terms of quality and reliability.
dt880smile.png

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #47 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha I can figure.
tongue_smile.gif

That balanced is a good thing as I'd only use it for headphones.

You'll be happy to know one of his future projects is a balanced headphone amp. He has a higher-end HP amp, but he hasn't put up the web pages for it. It's not balanced though. He'll build a balanced amp if you ask, using two C2Cs in a larger box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drawnbychrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OPT meaning optical, correct?
How soon can we expect for this to be available for purchase?
This will be my first DAC/Amp for my computer, which is awesome because I was really wanting something better than the Zero in terms of quality and reliability.
dt880smile.png

Yes, OPT = Optical. He said 2 months when he first mentioned it. The boards have been designed, so I imagine that his next task is working on the components to get the best sound etc. He's also purchased Grado SR60s, AKG K701s and Denon D2000s for testing (he already has Senn HD650s), since they are popular cans, and cover most sound signatures.

The basic model, will be opamp-based, using the usual BB OPA2134. I hope he uses a box tall enough for a HDAM to stand in it without the need of wires, now I think of it.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #48 of 7,725
Quote:

You'll be happy to know one of his future projects is a balanced headphone amp. He has a higher-end HP amp, but he hasn't put up the web pages for it. It's not balanced though. He'll build a balanced amp if you ask, using two C2Cs in a larger box.

That's pretty good news ! Do you think there is place for hope that he starts building an amp that combines single-ended and balanced outputs, a bit like the Rudistor NX-33 ?
Does his higher-end HP amp looks like the C-2D that appears in this webpage?

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #50 of 7,725
IMHO Kingwa should cut off OPT input option to make the DAC more affordable, OPT and COAX is just too similiar, since it's kinda targetting budget market, I bet most of time guys are going to pair it with normal DVD player as transport while most of these entry level DVD player does only comes with coaxial output
smily_headphones1.gif
USB for pc based desktop setup while coaxial for normal transport + DAC setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Money saved on skipping the OPT implementation would brings the price lower or further enhance the performance of other critical stage (i.e better power supply stage or output stage which two of areas Kingwa cares about) Hope that my opinion does help to bring us a better DAC with perhaps cheaper price :p

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #51 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by godluvsxs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO Kingwa should cut off OPT input option to make the DAC more affordable, OPT and COAX is just too similiar, since it's kinda targetting budget market, I bet most of time guys are going to pair it with normal DVD player as transport while most of these entry level DVD player does only comes with coaxial output
smily_headphones1.gif
USB for pc based desktop setup while coaxial for normal transport + DAC setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Money saved on skipping the OPT implementation would brings the price lower or further enhance the performance of other critical stage (i.e better power supply stage or output stage which two of areas Kingwa cares about) Hope that my opinion does help to bring us a better DAC with perhaps cheaper price :p

There are good reasons the optical connection is included: It probably costs next to nothing extra to include; Macs and quite a few other devices have optical out built in; good quality optical cables are cheap; and some people have solved ground-loop hum issues by using it instead of coax.

By the way, I did think about right-angled connectors on the HDAMs, but angled in which direction? I wish some existed that were suitable. If you think about it, whatever you try and change on an HDAM, it then becomes an issue in one or another device as a change in shape or angle prevents it sitting nicely in some other device.

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #52 of 7,725
Quote:

There are good reasons the optical connection is included: It probably costs next to nothing extra to include; Macs and quite a few other devices have optical out built in; good quality optical cables are cheap; and some people have solved ground-loop hum issues by using it instead of coax.

By the way, I did think about right-angled connectors on the HDAMs, but angled in which direction? I wish some existed that were suitable. If you think about it, whatever you try and change on an HDAM, it then becomes an issue in one or another device as a change in shape or angle prevents it sitting nicely in some other device.

Emm ... seems like the optical in should be there
biggrin.gif

Actually i think it's preferable to have it stand 90 degress without any connectors and wire, visually it's neat and eye catching
biggrin.gif
Hope that Kingwa can source a suitable casing which able to contain
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #55 of 7,725
It's coming along...these things take time.....most likely we are looking at Mar 09 at the earliest unless Kingwa is a miracle worker. This isn't his only project you know.....

Peete.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #57 of 7,725
sweet... Kingwa really takes care of his customers

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #58 of 7,725
also sorry for OT but has anyone here experienced the DAC-100? I own a zero atm but the amp stage is useless to me now that I have a darkvoice 336i. how does this dac compare to the Zero assuming they are both fitted with descrete opamps?

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #59 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also sorry for OT but has anyone here experienced the DAC-100? I own a zero atm but the amp stage is useless to me now that I have a darkvoice 336i. how does this dac compare to the Zero assuming they are both fitted with descrete opamps?

Penchum has one....PM him and ask what he thinks of it compared to his FrankenZERO.

Peete.

PS Currawong you beat me to it with the latest news...the Compass certainly looks like it will kick some serious butt. Merry Christmas indeed !!!!!

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #60 of 7,725
This compass will show the way!! it seems..

First 10 Test Compass will be full aluminum chassis for reviews.. Boys, grab it before it goes.. I have..

Edit. just got confirmation its all going to be full aluminum chassis - not just the first 10.. better still..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back