The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jan 13, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #406 of 7,725
I agree it looks like this will be in a completely different class from the Zero and not really something you would otherwise think to compare against the Zero. Not just from a design standpoint, but the layout, components, materials and build quality area all many steps ahead of the Zero, and perhaps ahead of what you'd expect for the $250 price range.

I do wonder what Audio-GD's return or repair policies are. From reading other threads and discussions it sounds like Kingwa is very good to deal with if things are lost in shipping for example. But if there's something wrong with something you receive from him does he pay to return it to him for repair if that's the path that you choose? I suppose I could ask him, part of what I like to know about companies I buy from is how they support the customer after the fact.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #407 of 7,725
No Chinese company, no matter how generous they are, nor many US companies, is going to pay the $50+ each way to send your amp in for repair. They'll probably pay up to ship it back to you but no way are they paying to ship it both ways. It's a solid state amp, there isn't that much craziness going on inside of it, I'd be amazed if anything bad ever happened to one.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #408 of 7,725
Doesn't matter if your source is an x-fi. The USB DAC completely bypasses the crappy pc sound card of your choice.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #409 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Chinese company, no matter how generous they are, nor many US companies, is going to pay the $50+ each way to send your amp in for repair. They'll probably pay up to ship it back to you but no way are they paying to ship it both ways. It's a solid state amp, there isn't that much craziness going on inside of it, I'd be amazed if anything bad ever happened to one.

Heh, have you read the Zero thread? You are right though. The stuff happened at the factory and then was shipped out with no cares whatsoever was in the box. I don't remember them all, but we're talking open solder joints, Opamps installed backwards, open connections to RCA jacks, wrong components, no Grounds on the Volume Pots, DOA's, ad nauseum. Atrocious is the only word I can think of to describe it. Main issue was how it was supported once your money had been paid. The best thread is the my Zero fried my Senn 650's thread. That one will make you ill to read it.

These bad Zero's that went out had Zero QC. That's what happens when your sole function is to produce numbers and let the cards fall where they may. Then when the vendor won't answer your emails. Yipes!

Tonights post in the Zero thread is from a guy who ended up having to get two because the first one had a dead Headamp, the replacement just quit today after about 3 months. Bought 2, and he's got two dead Zero's

Audio-gd's current price is very competitive with the Mod'd Zero's on Ebay for $220. The one's with the Alps, and the HDAM.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #410 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't matter if your source is an x-fi. The USB DAC completely bypasses the crappy pc sound card of your choice.

Which is why I said that its probably better for me to get the Compass as my first major component (I have headphones) instead of the SOHA II.

Didnt confirm my thinking, didnt counter my thinking. Kinda missed entirely XD

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #411 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mid-January... I may have to hold off on the purchase of a DacMagic... wish the pound was stronger against the dollar right now
frown.gif

USD$250 is now £172, according to XE.com - even more when PayPal bend you over. Back a few months, it was $2/£1 on XE, and probably $1.85/£1 with PayPal... it's now worth $1.45 on XE.

6 months ago, the Compass would have been around £50 less than it is now. Assuming it does come in at USD$250... ahh... there's post on top, IIRC?

~Phewl.

Hah well you're lucky you're not in Australia our dollar's gone from near parity to 70 cents or so

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure there will be a direct competitor to the Zero in the end. That Price Point is a hard nut to crack and beat them. Curra and Peete will I'm sure compare and contrast these two products in detail. The Kewl thing here is that we were able to participate in the development.

Fairly sure the SVDAC05 has been a competitor in price to the Zero for a while now. It just hasn't taken off like the Zero did. I've had two SVDAC05s and one Zero from wsz0304 but I'm afraid my ears/equipment aren't good enough to notice a difference from intial listenings. The other '05 and Zero are in two of my friends hands now

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #412 of 7,725
Does Audio-Gd always ship with well-known courier services? How 'bout EMS or Registered Priority mail?

Even with discounts for Kingwa, the shipping rates of $80 to Eastern Europe are still high..

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #413 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Audio-Gd always ship with well-known courier services? How 'bout EMS or Registered Priority mail?

Even with discounts for Kingwa, the shipping rates of $80 to Eastern Europe are still high..

Hello,
I was just looking over the Audio-gd page trying to find shipping rates and did npt see the carriers listed either. My experience is that the shipping charges with some of these guys can be "negotiated". I think some of them try to go for additional profits in shipping. This is counter productive and short sighted if your sales drop though. I used to do this on Ebay in the early days. Your auctions do better if you can show reasonable if not cheap delivery prices.

The buyer is smart enough to figure out he is being "gouged". If he doesn't factor it into his auction or in this case purchase cost, he gets ticked off later that he didn't check the shipping costs. Also mistrust and bad feelings for the company comes about if the customer thinks he was "gouged" with shipping fees.

I just received an amp from Darkvoice and argued the shipping down and I have done it with sheuzen Audio or whatever that Internet store is also. Get a quote for the size and weight and make a pitch to the seller.

I sent in a request for shipping on a DAC-8 from Audio-gd and we'll see what they quote on that, I'll ask them who the shippers are and post back here.

Ohh, and $80 does seem high for a Compass, is that the product you ae referring to?

EDIT/Update: I just received a quote of $100 for a DAC-8 to USA. Somewhat large box, 15 KG shipped. Seems very reasonable to me.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #414 of 7,725
Its clearly stated that he uses UPS, DHL and TNT, and from my impressions, it will most likely be from DHL. He chooses them because again clearly stated that the packages will arrive in US in 3 business days.

He also clearly states the shipping charges, which he claims has a very reduced rate, 120 For USA for a 4.5 KG shipment. Remember this is a full aluminum casing, faceplate almost 1/4 inch thick.

shipping.jpg

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #415 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems Audio-gd is a different animal. We are dealing directly with the builder and his reputation. That should work out for us all if Audio-gd cares about their product and reputation as much as they seem to.

I'd like to add that audio-gd did have issues at first with some early shipped HDAMs and their extension leads - but he more than came up with a solution, and offered replacements readily - that's someone who cares.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #416 of 7,725
I don’t wish post in forum, because my English is too bad, you maybe must guess what I said.
But this time I must show up the fact.
I don’t know why you guy Les, said a lot without fact thing to defame us, In my experience, I never see any foreigner will said some things without fact ago, but now I see one.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #417 of 7,725
In fact, express not give me so much discounts.
The cheapest shipping cost because some of our products discount.
For example shipping to USA, DHL give me the price is :
the first 0.5KG price is USD20.5, and add each 0.5KG price USD5.44.
Compass netweight 4KG, and pack with some cable (power cable, USB cable,ect), and the paper box, total weight is more than 4.5KG, so DHL will account it weight 5KG.
Price=5.44X9+20.5=USD69.46
For DHL official price is USD132.
For example shipping to East Europe,express give me price is :
First 0.5KG price USD30, add each 0.5KG price is USD8.67,
Price = 8.67X9+30=USD108.
For DHL official price is USD256.
Check the official price in this link
Rates Inquiry

Why I only said shipping cost is USD55 to USA and USD80 to east Europe? I only hope to accelerate our products .

You guy can check the price at any express.
And why a lot of customers can received our products after we shipment 3 days?
Why some venders shipment , the customers need wait 7-10 days received the goods?

I know some venders sale ZERO with USD40 shipping cost to any place in world, but ZERO only 3KG, and Compass had more than 4.5KG but express account it 5KG.

Yes we can affirm the shipping charge is USD55 to any place in world, it will let South America / Africa / East Europe customers have profit but it is unfair for Malaysia / Thailand/Australia / New Zealand customers. Because they pay more shipping cost for those South America / Africa / East Europe customers.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #418 of 7,725
Kingwa, I have confidence that you are not trying to make a profit from the shipping and can be verified by the price quote by DHL.

Thanks for your posting.

Confirmed 4.5 KG package from Beijing to USA by worldwide package express is 120 USD. He is charging 55 USD, I don't see a profit here.

Confirmed 4.5 KG package from Beijing to Poland (Eastern Europe) worldwide package express is 236 USD. He is charging 80 USD. Again I do not see a profit.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #419 of 7,725
I know Audio-Gd is not making profit from shipping, I checked the rates myself, they are twice higher than the quoted by Kingwa.

What I was asking was if shipping by EMS (for instance) is also possible, because for me $80 with DHL is still quite high (talking about the Compass). I am not in a hurry to receive the unit, waiting for 10 days is perfectly fine for me, as long as it arrives safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back