The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3,706 of 7,138
To my ears the LCD2 is a little more present and crisp in the upper mids and highs than the HD650.
but they don't really sound the same.  Only in that neither is particularly bright both nonoffensive

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #3,707 of 7,138
I've always thought that the HE500's sound more like the 650's only better. But anyone upgrading from the 650's would be pleased with LCD2's as they are both none fatiguing. I love the treble on the Audeze, its detailed and natural without any colour. I also liked the treble on the 650's and they can sound brighter and airyer than the LCD2's depending on the amp, but there is also a bit of grain too.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #3,708 of 7,138
Quote:
I've always thought that the HE500's sound more like the 650's only better. But anyone upgrading from the 650's would be pleased with LCD2's as they are both none fatiguing. I love the treble on the Audeze, its detailed and natural without any colour. I also liked the treble on the 650's and they can sound brighter and airyer than the LCD2's depending on the amp, but there is also a bit of grain too.

Good point here.  Yes the treble is better.  The overall headphone (HE-500) just has a more clear and crisp sound to it.  More then the LCD-2s as well. IMO.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #3,709 of 7,138
Having owned HD600/650,HE 500 and LCD2, I like to think that HE500 is a natural upgrade for the HD600;and LCD2 is the continuation of the HD650.
Treble of the LCD2 is good but HE500's treble is better.....shimmering,shiny treble!
Still,I have only kept the Audeze and sold the rest as I just didn't bother any longer.....might regret the HE500 but then,....!

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #3,710 of 7,138
Quote:
Having owned HD600/650,HE 500 and LCD2, I like to think that HE500 is a natural upgrade for the HD600;and LCD2 is the continuation of the HD650.
Treble of the LCD2 is good but HE500's treble is better.....shimmering,shiny treble!
Still,I have only kept the Audeze and sold the rest as I just didn't bother any longer.....might regret the HE500 but then,....!

Because of the lousy HE500 cable terminals? :wink:

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,712 of 7,138
Little late to the party but while the LCD-3 is an across the board improvement over the LCD-2 the big difference is that its treble is flatter.  LCD-2 has more treble presence, mostly because of the spike, but the flatter LCD-3 has better clarity despite lower dB.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #3,713 of 7,138
Little late to the party but while the LCD-3 is an across the board improvement over the LCD-2 the big difference is that its treble is flatter.  LCD-2 has more treble presence, mostly because of the spike, but the flatter LCD-3 has better clarity despite lower dB.

Agreed completely. The LCD-3's treble is indeed "smoother" than the already smooth (although peakier) LCD-2's treble.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3,715 of 7,138
Just received my toxic silver poison cable for the LCD2's.  Whether it be placebo effect or not, I definitely hear a difference.

I'm hearing the LCD2 as slightly brighter and the bass tamer with the SP.  I was very used to the stock cable so I'm not sure if I'm sold on the changes yet.  The build of SP cable is definitely an improvement over the stock though.

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3,716 of 7,138
Quote:

I know The Cable Company does: http://www.thecableco.com/Product/NEW-Headphone-Lending-Library

Personally, if I had not heard talk of the LCD-2 being 'dark' before listening to them I would have never considered using that word to describe them (and my first audition was with the 'darker' first version too). To me they sound very natural, and if anything I find some of the other flagships have too much treble for my taste.

X 2.

I found my LCD-2r2 very natural and revealing with a very full sound. I never ever thought once that they lacked treble presence by any means. But you have to consider the synergy with the other components in the audio chain. My LCD-2 are linked with a W4S-DAC-2 and a BHA-1 Bryston amp, two components known for their resolution and energy.
Quote:
I'd agree that you don't have to like the the HD-650 to like the LCD-2, but if you do like the HD-650, there's a good chance you'll love the LCD-2. The HD-650 has accurate detailed treble, but it's pulled back a bit--at least compared to bright signature headphones. It's clear that people have very different sensitivities to upper mid/treble energy. If you get too much, it comes across as harsh and often sibilant. If you're not getting enough, a headphone may seem like it's muddy or lacking detail or air.
It has everything to do with psychoacoustics--how you perceive sounds. My observation is that although there are a lot of fine-grained preferences when it comes to headphones, the tolerance to treble energy is the least negotiable aspect for the majority of people.

Absolutly true. I am really sensitive to high treble energy and it's easy for me to find stuff edgy and harsh. I have listened to HD-800 twice and for me, it's simply unlistenable at high volume. I found them way too bright and thin like a sheet of paper when compare to the LCD-2. But I know some headfiers who I respect alot, that are really in love with the sound of HD-800. They simply not for me. Oh and I had the chance to compare my LCD-2 to the LCD-3 for about a week lately. I prefered the LCD-2 to the more revealing and refined LCD-3.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #3,720 of 7,138
Hi all. I have just purchased this LCD-2 rev2 (a demo pairs, like new) and the first time i used it, everything is fine until i unplug the cable: the left cable can be unplug easily but the right can't be unplug, seem like it was stuck, even i press the button firmly or hard. Plz help me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back