The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Aug 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #2,851 of 7,138
Give them time; it's all about acclimatizing, I went from the HD650 to the LCD-2 Rev1 and for a few days I wasn't at all sure I did the right thing. But when you're used to a certain phone, especially one as homogenous as the Senns, it's hard to adjust, and I initially missed certain aspects of the 650 that I know now weren't acccurate to the recording. The LCD-2 is in a different class really, but that doesn't mean your ear will instantly recognise that fact. Just make your yardstick live music and not other phones and it should all fall into place, but don't be impatient.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #2,852 of 7,138
Im getting that impression, really enjoying these now. For people who have used Singlepower amps with these or similar, would there be any advantage to getting an amp like the lyr or would I not notice a great deal of difference? Would aftermarket cables like the Q make much difference with my setup? Is the DA100 up to the LCD-2's? 

I am intrigued by the bifrost and lyr combo, however I wonder whether there would be noticeable differences from what I currently use. The MPX3 has been a solid performer for many years but I wonder if there are better options out there at reasonable prices. Cant really drop too much on new gear at the moment. Overall I am really delighted though, on most recordings the increase in detail and other stuff I'm not the best at describing :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #2,854 of 7,138
Quote:
I just uploaded my unboxing of my new LCD-2!

It's the Bamboo Rev.2 with the travel case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYUX11H-rmo&list=UUq2Cxumhx4UR1cy6rvZVMrg&index=1&feature=plcp

Congrats! I could feel your excitement haha
and I can confirm that they look exactly the same as mine
tongue.gif
 Also, they need a good run in to open up from new, mine sounded overly dark and boxy to begin with but now sound like the world class headphone that they are. Enjoy!

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #2,855 of 7,138
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #2,856 of 7,138
Quote:
Congrats! I could feel your excitement haha
and I can confirm that they look exactly the same as mine
tongue.gif
 Also, they need a good run in to open up from new, mine sounded overly dark and boxy to begin with but now sound like the world class headphone that they are. Enjoy!

I haven't really gotten to enjoy mine at all yet. The cable they shipped it with has a faulty connection in the left side. The sound comes and goes if you wiggle the cable or move your head.

I contacted Audeze and they have agreed to ship me a replacement, so all I can do now is wait.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #2,857 of 7,138
Guys,

I've heard the LCD-2 and was very impressed, but found the LCD-3 to have too much treble and it sounded completely out of character with its mids and bass. I did not expect the treble difference between the LCD-2r2 and the LCD-3 to be that different.

Problem is I can't be sure if the LCD-2 I listened to was indeed an r2. It had the leather headband and the "A" design grill. Are there any revision 1 phones made late enough to have the above features?

The other issue I had with both phones was the air-tight seal that it created and the resulting postive air pressure within the cups. I've read that if placed on the head slowly, this effect if minimised or even completely eliminated. However, I'd rather avoid an air-tight seal altogether, even if bass suffers a little, for the sake of my hearing health. I also don't like how leather can get quite sticky after a while. In short, I'd like ask those of you who have tried -if the vegan edition/velour pads still have this air-tight seal. I've been waiting ages for a phone like the LCD-2 to come along and it'll be a pity if the above issues stop me from buying them.

Any input is very much appareciated.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #2,858 of 7,138
I think i've confused myself a little with regards to the ear cushion types. Audeze's site lists two types: Lambskin Leather and Leather Free. Is the Lambskin leather the black one you see in most images and the Leather Free the brown vegan option? Also is there any difference with regard to comfort between the two?

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #2,859 of 7,138
Quote:

Problem is I can't be sure if the LCD-2 I listened to was indeed an r2. It had the leather headband and the "A" design grill. Are there any revision 1 phones made late enough to have the above features?

Definitely a Revision 2 you been listening to if it has the leather headband as no Rev.1's had that feature as it only had a foam headband. Unless the LCD2 you auditioned was a Rev.1 and had the leather headband attached rather then the foam one. Who know's really.

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #2,860 of 7,138
Quote:
I think i've confused myself a little with regards to the ear cushion types. Audeze's site lists two types: Lambskin Leather and Leather Free. Is the Lambskin leather the black one you see in most images and the Leather Free the brown vegan option? Also is there any difference with regard to comfort between the two?

The standard earpads that come with the LCD2 headphones is the lambskin leather one's (black), you can also request for the leather free: vegan (brown) one's upon purchase. Most have reported that the Vegan ones (leather free) are more comfortable but you can don't get a tighter bass response (or more bass presence) as the standard black lambskin leather earpads as a tighter seal is formed, but some people have allergy reactions and sweat build-ups with the standard leather one's so vegan pad's are more of viable option for them.

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #2,861 of 7,138
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely a Revision 2 you been listening to if it has the leather headband as no Rev.1's had that feature as it only had a foam headband. Unless the LCD2 you auditioned was a Rev.1 and had the leather headband attached rather then the foam one. Who know's really.

What DefQon said, plus if a rev.1 is upgraded to a leather headband it will have no serial number, as the number decal is on the original metal headband.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #2,863 of 7,138
Great info... Thanks! So now I can be sure it's the rev.2 that I like although I won't be surprised if I like the rev.1 as well.

Anyone have impressions about whether the vegan/leather pads completely eliminate that positive air pressure/airtight seal within the cups? I've read this entire thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/586157/audeze-lcd-2-vegan-earpads-feedback-installation-mini-review/45 but the topic isn't discussed. Last post there was also three weeks ago and no one responded to it, so I thought it'll be better if I ask for opinions here.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,865 of 7,138
Quote:
Im getting that impression, really enjoying these now. For people who have used Singlepower amps with these or similar, would there be any advantage to getting an amp like the lyr or would I not notice a great deal of difference? Would aftermarket cables like the Q make much difference with my setup? Is the DA100 up to the LCD-2's? 

DA100 is my favourite DAC and I love it with my LCD-2 combined with my WA6SE. IMO it's more than up to the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back