The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jun 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #1,907 of 7,138
And colour-blind people have trouble believing that a rainbow can look so beautiful, or a lush green meadow in the morning light can take your breath away.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #1,909 of 7,138
Quote:
My experience with cables (all kinds of power, speaker, digital and analog cables) teaches me that cables can make huge differences, comparable with the differences between sources and amps. But I'm new in aftermarket headphone cables, It's the first and only one I have. I've listened to some LCD-2s and LCD-3s recabled with balanced ALO cables but 20-30 minute listening session was not enough to make conclusions.
What can I say is: Do not underestimate the power of cables. :) Cable changes can save you lots of money on amps', sources' or headphones' replacements
beerchug.gif

What you said Brat....

Quote:

Be prepared as a possibility that certain users might pop up and pick a fight with you with what you have said. Good luck I'am certainly not going to debate on that topic lets get back the LCD2 thread but what I can tell you is that the difference cables provide is less then 5%, if more then there must've been a manufacture defect with the original cables. 

What I said and my warning of what would happen.
Quote:

Of course, I'm sure you will also agree that one cannot underestimate the power of the placebo effect. Further, the notion that any such differences, if they do indeed exist, are night and day truly weaken the credibility of the reporting poster. 

I suggested that it must've been the placebo effect kicking in when he stated that his friends DIY cable changed the signature of his rev.2's into a dark sounding rev.1 and from his description of what the difference to his ears sounded like doesn't sound like my rev.1's at all. I 

Quote:
Cables certainly do make a difference though freq wise only at freq extremes and rarely on short runs.  If for some reason you had a 30ft run you'd be able to measure the drops depending on the build.  The joke is that audiophile voodoo cable sounds different usually because its terrible and has cap and ind numbers that you have to try hard to mess up to the point of acting like a filter :wink:

The differences is really negligible, hardly more then 5% if not less.

Quote:
I was meaning to say that I didn't want to derail the thread by bringing up cables, which I know are a contemptuous subject for audiophiles. I just wanted to clarify that I am not of the camp that thinks cables change sonic character, just that cables can help a small bit in terms of things like space, resolution. Nothing huge, but noticeable.
Kojaku

True. But from your post it sounded like you were attacking me from quoting Brat's post as I thought you were the "DIYer" in his post that made the cable for him.

Quote:

The one thing I know is that people have a lot of trouble separating fact from opinion.

+1.

Another objective vs subjective matter.

Quote:

+1

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,910 of 7,138
I've been on head-fi for like 5 years now, the acceptance of cables making a difference has probably increased tenfold. I wouldn't have gone into it if I didn't believe in it personally.

Grado, Denon, Ultrasone, Sennheiser, Audeze, and Hifiman have all shown us that cables make a difference from their end and as end-users, we've all experienced it ourselves. It takes a leap of faith, but it's not cheap and the difference isn't HUGE. I consider them a luxury item to have, they're still pretty much nonessential compared to getting your gear sorted out, but it's sort of silly to ask to prove it on a graph. 

What would we even be looking for, just more of something on a graph? Wouldn't that be throwing the EQ off? It's much more than that, and FR graphs don't tell you texture, speed, and perceivable detail.. just how loud something is and where the the treble and bass cutoffs are.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,911 of 7,138
Quote:
I've been on head-fi for like 5 years now, the acceptance of cables making a difference has probably increased tenfold.

Some of us see that as something other than a good thing.  I have no problem with people thinking they make a difference.  If that's what floats your boat, then go for it.  But I am rather tired of hearing (lots of the same) people trumpet the night and day difference cables make without so much as a nod to the fact that it is entirely possible the placebo effect is at work and that it is curious how little susbtantiation there is for such claims.  This is an old argument and it generally goes something like this:
"I hear a difference, therefore there is definitely a difference and it is the cable."
"Well, ok, what about the placebo effect or some measurements, could be interesting."
"Lalalalala.  I know what I hear that's enough for me."
I don't care which way one comes out in this debate.  But the lack of critical thinking is astonishing and its rapid decrease likely correlates well with the "tenfold" increase in cable acceptance.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,912 of 7,138
These reasons, and their wonderful appearance, are why I'll be buying a Q cable if I decide to keep the LCD2s (still need to compare them to T1 and HE-500).  The sound will be the same, aside from the microphonics making it less annoying to move around while listening.
Quote:
Two absolutely tangible, measurable aspects of the Q cables I'm fond of are their flexibility and lack of microphony.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,913 of 7,138
Quote:

Some of us see that as something other than a good thing.  I have no problem with people thinking they make a difference.  If that's what floats your boat, then go for it.  But I am rather tired of hearing (lots of the same) people trumpet the night and day difference cables make without so much as a nod to the fact that it is entirely possible the placebo effect is at work and that it is curious how little susbtantiation there is for such claims.  This is an old argument and it generally goes something like this:
"I hear a difference, therefore there is definitely a difference and it is the cable."
"Well, ok, what about the placebo effect or some measurements, could be interesting."
I don't care which way one comes out in this debate.  But the lack of critical thinking is astonishing and its rapid decrease likely correlates well with the "tenfold" increase in cable acceptance.

Someone should do a cable swap double-blind test, just like how Tyll did the burn-in test.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,914 of 7,138
Quote:

I do feel like there's something to be said for placebo effect. People can be convinced that they are no longer suffering from psychomatic disorders by placebo effects, so who's to say that the person's mind couldn't be so heavily influencing their perception that they "hear" a night-and-day difference? Now, it is very likely that the actual change is not night-and-day, but the mind is a very powerful thing...I don't think myself of this camp, once again, but it is interesting to think about it...

Kojaku

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,916 of 7,138
They *do* tell you perceivable detail, because that is exactly what frequency response is measuring ... namely whether or not any information is being lost in transmission through your gear.  They do not tell you the first two things, because those aren't defined audio concepts.
Quote:
FR graphs don't tell you texture, speed, and perceivable detail.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,919 of 7,138
Different cables can affect sound...differently. Different isn't always better, or even measurable.
Can we move on :deadhorse:

edited for semantics to please wink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back