The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jun 4, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #1,891 of 7,138
Do you have a measurement of this hump in the mids? And maybe also an "after" measurement showing that it is gone now?

(Why not post a picture of your fine cable right here, by the way?)

Quote:
My friend made me a DIY silver cable - good connectors, 4 silver wires with teflon isolation per channel. This cable removed the hump in the mids that was quite annoying to me and made the FR more linear with more prominent bass. The overall effect is darker sound. As far as I know my man has wire for 4-5 cables more. It costs about 80 euros without the shipping costs. If interested PM me. I can post pics.. I'm not a member of the trade! Just share my experience and may help.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #1,892 of 7,138
Quote:
Do you have a measurement of this hump in the mids? And maybe also an "after" measurement showing that it is gone now?

(Why not post a picture of your fine cable right here, by the way?)

No, I do not have measurements but FR graphs can't show us all sound features that we like/dislike. Some of them are very visible and prominent, some are subtle but annoying.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #1,893 of 7,138
Quote:
No, I do not have measurements but FR graphs can't show us all sound features that we like/dislike. Some of them are very visible and prominent, some are subtle but annoying.

You do realise FR graphs will show almost no difference of measurement between stock and most aftermarket cable's right?

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #1,894 of 7,138
Quote:

You do realise FR graphs will show almost no difference of measurement between stock and most aftermarket cable's right?

How do you know without measurements that this will happen?
biggrin.gif

I don't want to dispute about unmeasured and unheard (by all participants) things! I find very audible difference between the stock cable and this one, and I share with the other LCD-2 owners my findings. But a dispute is pointless in this case :)

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #1,895 of 7,138
Quote:
How do you know without measurements that this will happen?
biggrin.gif

I don't want to dispute about unmeasured and unheard (by all participants) things! I find very audible difference between the stock cable and this one, and I share with the other LCD-2 owners my findings. But a dispute is pointless in this case :)

If measurements proved a difference, then theres no point for the endless debate of whether cables make a difference a not. I have (if not, possibly) the best cable you can buy for headphones Piccolino and from what I've heard I cannot even say it provides night and day difference which what most people exaggerate into. Not picking a fight, but just stating from experience and what I know and have learnt as well.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,896 of 7,138
My experience with cables (all kinds of power, speaker, digital and analog cables) teaches me that cables can make huge differences, comparable with the differences between sources and amps. But I'm new in aftermarket headphone cables, It's the first and only one I have. I've listened to some LCD-2s and LCD-3s recabled with balanced ALO cables but 20-30 minute listening session was not enough to make conclusions.
What can I say is: Do not underestimate the power of cables. :) Cable changes can save you lots of money on amps', sources' or headphones' replacements
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #1,897 of 7,138
Quote:
My experience with cables (all kinds of power, speaker, digital and analog cables) teaches me that cables can make huge differences, comparable with the differences between sources and amps. But I'm new in aftermarket headphone cables, It's the first and only one I have. I've listened to some LCD-2s and LCD-3s recabled with balanced ALO cables but 20-30 minute listening session was not enough to make conclusions.
What can I say is: Do not underestimate the power of cables. :) Cable changes can save you lots of money on amps', sources' or headphones' replacements
beerchug.gif

Be prepared as a possibility that certain users might pop up and pick a fight with you with what you have said. Good luck I'am certainly not going to debate on that topic lets get back the LCD2 thread but what I can tell you is that the difference cables provide is less then 5%, if more then there must've been a manufacture defect with the original cables. If I was you, save your money up for Piccolino's and get some DIY to build you a cable for your favourite can's. You will most likely look no further but they come at a cost (about $150 per ft.)
So has anyone tried the LCD3 earpads with any versions of the LCD2's to see if the sound is any better or closer sounding to the LCD3?

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,899 of 7,138
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Of course, I'm sure you will also agree that one cannot underestimate the power of the placebo effect.  And before we get any further into it, just because you're REALLY REALLY sure you heard a difference does not necessarily mean that the difference is attributable to the cable itself.  It is, imo, far more likely that the difference is attributable to your mind.  I'm not stating anything new here and the cable stuff (pro and con) is better suited to the more appropriate board on this forum, but it's worth mentioning for those less experienced members before they go spending hundreds of dollars that improvement through cables is far from a settled issue.  Further, the notion that any such differences, if they do indeed exist, are night and day truly weaken the credibility of the reporting poster. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #1,900 of 7,138
Cables certainly do make a difference though freq wise only at freq extremes and rarely on short runs.  If for some reason you had a 30ft run you'd be able to measure the drops depending on the build.  The joke is that audiophile voodoo cable sounds different usually because its terrible and has cap and ind numbers that you have to try hard to mess up to the point of acting like a filter :wink:

That said, my Q cable is certainly cleaner sounding than the stock cable and most importantly... light and flexible.  Oh and its pretty :p

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #1,902 of 7,138
Quote:

Of course, I'm sure you will also agree that one cannot underestimate the power of the placebo effect.  And before we get any further into it, just because you're REALLY REALLY sure you heard a difference does not necessarily mean that the difference is attributable to the cable itself.  It is, imo, far more likely that the difference is attributable to your mind.  I'm not stating anything new here and the cable stuff (pro and con) is better suited to the more appropriate board on this forum, but it's worth mentioning for those less experienced members before they go spending hundreds of dollars that improvement through cables is far from a settled issue.  Further, the notion that any such differences, if they do indeed exist, are night and day truly weaken the credibility of the reporting poster. 

Yes, I've heard about the placebo. It's a sugar pill, right?
tongue.gif

Placebo effect is a large part of the audiophile business indeed :) But I have a rule: If I'm not absolutely shure about the effect of something I do not buy and even DO NOT DISCUSS IT.
I shared my experience with the new headphone cable because I do hear significant change. My intention was to let LCD-2 owners know that cables (not necessarily the expensive ones) may fix some issues with the sound (if they have issues with LCD-2's sound). I think it may be useful information for someone, not for you of course. You already know what is real. :)

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,903 of 7,138
? I quoted what Brat said, what you on about?

I was meaning to say that I didn't want to derail the thread by bringing up cables, which I know are a contemptuous subject for audiophiles. I just wanted to clarify that I am not of the camp that thinks cables change sonic character, just that cables can help a small bit in terms of things like space, resolution. Nothing huge, but noticeable.

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back