The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,862 of 7,138
Just created an article comparing the LCD-2 to some other great headphones, and I hope you enjoy it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612250/comparing-some-of-the-finest-headphones-sennheiser-hd-600-hd-700-hd-800-hd-25-1-and-amperior-audio-technicas-ath-m50s-and-audezes-lcd-2-rev-2-and-lcd-3#post_8419930

May 30, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #1,863 of 7,138
Quote:
[...]

There is the Head-Amp GSX too, but Justin is busy wrapping up the BHSEs, so he may not have time to crank out the GSXs within a reasonable timeframe. I wouldn't bother with B22 unless you build it yourself (which is sort of the point of the B22.) The B22 is not competitive at the prices they go for new (and sometimes old) builds. I don't think anyone has heard a production Mjolnir yet (I've heard a pre-production unit and I do feel the Mjolnir has potential if you want to wait.) The Bryston's is relatively new and I only know of one person who has one. Also seriously consider the Apex Arete and Peak - a good match for the LCD#. The power supply is optional for LCD# type cans.

BTW, the upcoming Schitt balanced DAC had even more potential IMO compared to the Mjolnir, but then again, you will need to wait.

Don't bother with Lyr. It was made for certain price point (and it certainly sounds like it, but it is an exceptional value.)

I assume this "potential" was heard through the LCD-2? Did you run the HD800 through it? How did the amp fare with the Senn?

May 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #1,865 of 7,138
Quote:

There is the Head-Amp GSX too, but Justin is busy wrapping up the BHSEs, so he may not have time to crank out the GSXs within a reasonable timeframe. I wouldn't bother with B22 unless you build it yourself (which is sort of the point of the B22.) The B22 is not competitive at the prices they go for new (and sometimes old) builds. I don't think anyone has heard a production Mjolnir yet (I've heard a pre-production unit and I do feel the Mjolnir has potential if you want to wait.) The Bryston's is relatively new and I only know of one person who has one. Also seriously consider the Apex Arete and Peak - a good match for the LCD#. The power supply is optional for LCD# type cans.

BTW, the upcoming Schitt balanced DAC had even more potential IMO compared to the Mjolnir, but then again, you will need to wait.

Don't bother with Lyr. It was made for certain price point (and it certainly sounds like it, but it is an exceptional value.)

Cheers for the help fella. I'm gearing towards Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus with balanced outs to a headamp GSX or the Ray Samuels Apache. Both amps are within my budget and I can always sell the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic for a badass DAC later.

May 30, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,866 of 7,138
Just be aware that if you want the GS-X you'll need to get started soon and expect it to be delivered ~4-6 months after payment is made.

May 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,868 of 7,138
Quote:

can you recommend me some balanced amps to look into. Thanks. Will be ordering the LCD2s early next week.
o2smile.gif

May 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,869 of 7,138
My opinion, based on what I have heard first hand...

AMB Balanced B22
Woo WA22

Be aware the WA22 output is not balanced, only the amp section is.

May 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,870 of 7,138
My opinion, based on what I have heard first hand...

AMB Balanced B22
Woo WA22

Be aware the WA22 output is not balanced, only the amp section is.

With the WA22, if you are using balanced inputs you will get a balanced output through the XLR headphone jacks.

May 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,871 of 7,138
There's something strange inside my right cup. When I move my head a bit or just push the cup slightly against my head, there's a funny "bobbing" sound heard. Like when you take some thick plastic membrane in your hands and bend it back and forth, you get the snapping/bobbing sound. It seems to happen only when the pad is on my head and very little movement is required. I think it's the air pressure/suction from the movement, affecting the driver membrane? It's sticky or tensioned somehow? During music I can't hear it and I don't think it affects quality.. but annoying.

May 31, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,872 of 7,138
Quote:
With the WA22, if you are using balanced inputs you will get a balanced output through the XLR headphone jacks.

Umm no.  

Pop the bottom or pull out your dB metre.  The amp is balanced into the transformer and single ended out.  The cold(-) side of the XLR pins is wired to ground.  Their presence is purely cosmetic and so that anyone could use the WA22 regardless of what they did to their cans before they got one.  Using a single ended source does however turn the amp side into a single ended amp by not using one of the triodes in each tube reducing the power output.

There's an old thread on it and since mine was years newer I checked to see if it had changed since.  Its hasn't.  Not a knock on the amp, its my second favourite of the ones I've owned and to be fair I believe Woo went that way for safety reasons.

May 31, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,873 of 7,138
I've read that thread as well, I remember that Jack Wu weighed in on it:

"The WA22 is a fully balanced amp, see diagram below.

(click to enlarge)

The question here is that this amp is not fully balanced because the "amp with a single ended output stage directly connected to the XLR connectors.” It is not true. In an Output Transformer coupled design, the primary and secondary coils are isolated. Output stage and input stage are not connected and thus no cross-talk whatsoever can happen.

On the ¼” output, both channels have independent paths, see the black and red wires. If this wiring scheme applies to a Output Transformer Less design, the circuit will become single-ended. See the second diagram in #17, the v- would have to be a common wire to other channel. One must be carefull not to take reference from the wrong context to avoid all the misunderstanding.

Also, no phase splitter is needed because the source is XLR (balanced). As for the RCA input, only ½ of the input is used and the efficiency is roughly dropped 50%. In other words, the RCA input will not take advantage of this design. You must use a balanced source to get the best out of the WA22.

Hope that clarifies.

-Jack"

People weighed in on both sides of the discussion, and in the end very few minds were changed :p

IMHO if the WA22 isn't balanced no amp is unless it has a complete dual mono configuration with separate pots.

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,874 of 7,138
Since I was looking at the WA22 as my final & balanced stop on the HeadFi highway, I find the above convincing enough. I hadn't even realized there was any question about that, would love to read up on that thread but searching for it here made for too many results to wade through, link please? (And/or how one could search for it more accurately)

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #1,875 of 7,138
The thread was mind blowing with people who can count arguing with people who can read and Jack confusing both with words that argee with both.  Anyway, explained in photos for the last time I hope.

Count them, 2 not four wires off the transformer selector.  No cold sections, only hot and shared ground.  That's single ended output to XLR.

And the schematic Jack posted... labelled.  No balanced output, only input.  Effect on sound?  None.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back