The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #1,846 of 7,138
Quote:
Hi. I'm looking for a replacement cable for my LCD-2. The main problem that I have is that the connector of the stock cable sticks out too far for my current PC case. Something that's at least an inch shorter at the termination point, as well as more flexible around the connectors to the headphone itself would be ideal. I don't want an expensive cable (seriously, how complicated can a few copper wires be?) What would you recommend?

you don't need a new cable for that. http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38

May 29, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #1,849 of 7,138
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about getting this combo. What AMP/DAC combo would you recommend for the $2k mark to do these cans justice? Thanks so much. 

Go used and see my sig.  AMB B22/W4S DAC-2 is a great Audeze combo.  The other less expensive, less resolving, less period recommendation is the Burson HA-160D or 160DS.  On that "pairing" the DAC is great, easily equal to the W4S though a little less drive which is more about flavour than anything else.  The amp is a little grainy though.

May 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #1,852 of 7,138
Quote:

Go used and see my sig.  AMB B22/W4S DAC-2 is a great Audeze combo.  The other less expensive, less resolving, less period recommendation is the Burson HA-160D or 160DS.  On that "pairing" the DAC is great, easily equal to the W4S though a little less drive which is more about flavour than anything else.  The amp is a little grainy though.

Many thanks for your reply friend, I've been looking up your AMB B22. Where can one get a prebuilt one with all the mod cons? I was previously looking into the Burson actually but I'm thinking I should just go balanced and look beyond that? I've been looking into the Audiogd dac19dsp1 which is discontinued now and isn't balanced anyway so I've been mulling over the Audiogd's Reference 7.1 which is balanced. How does your wyred4sound DAC2 compare to Kingwa's 7.1? 

I understand i'll go over my $2k budget but its okay as I'll be selling off my old kit, Some Grado cans, HD650s, custom PPA with power supply and a plethora of cables. Kind regards :)

May 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,853 of 7,138
If you HAVE to go balanced, which is a bad idea at that price tag, then your options just got really small.  The only built B22s you can get are on the For Sale forum.

May 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,854 of 7,138
Quote:
 The only built B22s you can get are on the For Sale forum.

Would love to know your views on the Bryston-bha1 and the cheaper Schiit Mjolnir. How do you think they will do against a B22? I may just go for the Bryston BHA1 if I can't get a B22 build.

I had a google for your DAC seems to be world class. May have to stretch into $3k. Again should be ok I have a lot of stuff to sell off in the coming weeks so no biggy.

May 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,856 of 7,138
Quote:

Would love to know your views on the Bryston-bha1 and the cheaper Schiit Mjolnir. How do you think they will do against a B22? I may just go for the Bryston BHA1 if I can't get a B22 build.

I had a google for your DAC seems to be world class. May have to stretch into $3k. Again should be ok I have a lot of stuff to sell off in the coming weeks so no biggy.

There is the Head-Amp GSX too, but Justin is busy wrapping up the BHSEs, so he may not have time to crank out the GSXs within a reasonable timeframe. I wouldn't bother with B22 unless you build it yourself (which is sort of the point of the B22.) The B22 is not competitive at the prices they go for new (and sometimes old) builds. I don't think anyone has heard a production Mjolnir yet (I've heard a pre-production unit and I do feel the Mjolnir has potential if you want to wait.) The Bryston's is relatively new and I only know of one person who has one. Also seriously consider the Apex Arete and Peak - a good match for the LCD#. The power supply is optional for LCD# type cans.

BTW, the upcoming Schitt balanced DAC had even more potential IMO compared to the Mjolnir, but then again, you will need to wait.

Don't bother with Lyr. It was made for certain price point (and it certainly sounds like it, but it is an exceptional value.)

May 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,857 of 7,138
Re Balanced SS amps for the LCD-2, don't forget the RSA Apache.

May 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,858 of 7,138
B22 pricing is all over the map.  I got mine for what most pay for a 2ch build.  Balanced B22 is utter overkill and really only needed if you have need for a balanced pre in my opinion.  A 2ch costs less and as a headphone amp is still overkill.

Haven't heard the Mjolnir or Bryston so short of getting to ride the time machine...  no idea.  I am on the list for a Mjolnir though.  Much less interested in the Bryston which breaks a whole whack of audiophile rules :wink:

Also haven't heard the Apex line but others I trust have and tend to think the overall line is lean and bright compared to other options.  Its also not balanced and well outside your price range.

Another option would be Lake People/Violectric which I also haven't heard but some love.

May 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,859 of 7,138
And so I wave the flag of that signifies that the Audez'e LCD-2 and 3 sound great out of an iPod! 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back