The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #1,832 of 7,138
Ok 100 hours burned, 20 on the head so far.. I think I've finally shaked my HE-500 nostalgia away, probably missed the slightly brighter highs. Everything sounds great right now with a little EQ (never mind the bass boost, needed it on HE-500 also).

Doesn't stop me still wanting to try out LCD-3, TH900 or SigPros though.. settle down boy!

PS. Is my head large since I have to max out LCD-2 headband?

May 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,833 of 7,138
Quote:

Yes :D  And Audeze makes longer posts for us above average genius types.  Email them and they can send you a pair out.  Adds roughly 4 more rings.

May 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,834 of 7,138
Quote:
Yes :D  And Audeze makes longer posts for us above average genius types.  Email them and they can send you a pair out.  Adds roughly 4 more rings.

I've got like half a ring left per post. Just made it with my melon.

May 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #1,835 of 7,138
Quote:
I think the things you should worry are not the wood and pads but the crappy stock cable that comes with the LCD-2s (the flat one shown in the picture above).
wink_face.gif

Every LCD-2 owner must try some aftermarket cable. This is the weakest point of these fantastic cans.

ARE YOU SURE? 

You made me wonder of after market cable... i'd just bought the UERM.. darned... wanna spend again? How about the Q-cable?

May 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #1,836 of 7,138
Quote:
I think the things you should worry are not the wood and pads but the crappy stock cable that comes with the LCD-2s (the flat one shown in the picture above).
wink_face.gif

Every LCD-2 owner must try some aftermarket cable. This is the weakest point of these fantastic cans.

I wouldn't be so tough on the stock cable.  I think it performs very well and is designed to reduce bulk while maintaining low resistance.  My expensive Cardas balanced headphone cables are only 4 X 24 gauge while the Audeze is a hefty 4 X 20 gauge with 140 stands per conductors.  Fancy cloth jackets or thick insulation and coverings may give the illusion of a better cable and certainly cost more, but the audio performance is not necessarily better. 

I would suggest auditioning aftermarket cables before forking over the cash or making sure you have return rights with any aftermarket cables you purchase.

It's not that I don't think that cables make a difference, it's just that I think that the differences are often exagerated.
normal_smile .gif

May 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #1,837 of 7,138
my cables fine stock, what's all this hoo haa about having to upgrade? Ok some people like to do it fair enough, but have too? Nah. The sound difference really is small if anything, it's passive eq at best, just tweak your active eq.

I don't get any of the vibration of rubbing on clothing etc and it's probably not as heavy as the previous original cables, c'mon.

Yes it's nice bling, nothing more.

May 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,838 of 7,138
Quote:
Ok 100 hours burned, 20 on the head so far.. I think I've finally shaked my HE-500 nostalgia away, probably missed the slightly brighter highs. Everything sounds great right now with a little EQ (never mind the bass boost, needed it on HE-500 also).

Doesn't stop me still wanting to try out LCD-3, TH900 or SigPros though.. settle down boy!

that curve looks similar to mine.

EDIT 8/06/2012 newest curve suits multi genres AND USED IN CONJUCTION WITH dolby headphone+sheppi. Dolby effects frequency response.                                                                                                                           

May 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #1,839 of 7,138
Some of you may find the following thread useful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/551426/my-eq-curves-for-lcd-2-hd650-m50-and-007mk2

May 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,840 of 7,138
Quote:

ARE YOU SURE? 

You made me wonder of after market cable... i'd just bought the UERM.. darned... wanna spend again? How about the Q-cable?

I'm using DIY silver cable. It was a big surprise to me that it bettered the sound in every way compared to the stock one. I'm pleased with what I hear now and I do not have intensions to buy an expensive cable. I've listened LCD-2 with balanced ALO cable and I don't find the sound better. Just different.

May 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,841 of 7,138
Quote:
What's improved with new earpads(R.3)?
Cheers
Pal

There seems to be more foam on the low side of the earpad, making it more comfortable/ less pressure on your jaws, but still the stiff foam 

May 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #1,842 of 7,138
Thanks for clarifying, I was wondering about that myself. Having tried the vegan pads, I was hoping the new pads would more like the LCD-3's but in black...

May 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,844 of 7,138
Hi. I'm looking for a replacement cable for my LCD-2. The main problem that I have is that the connector of the stock cable sticks out too far for my current PC case. Something that's at least an inch shorter at the termination point, as well as more flexible around the connectors to the headphone itself would be ideal. I don't want an expensive cable (seriously, how complicated can a few copper wires be?) What would you recommend?

May 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #1,845 of 7,138
Not endorsing Amazon as such, but for example if you want cheap & easy:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Angle-Stereo-Phone-Plug/dp/B000WUH9HA/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338261845&sr=1-23

You could also cut off the stock cable and re-solder it to one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-Stereo-Connector-Grommet/dp/B003ZTYGYE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1338261774&sr=8-15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back