The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jan 19, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #6,782 of 7,138
My LCD-2.2 has good bass but it is glaring with Conductor.
Is it due to the nature of Conductor DAC (sabre glare?)?

It's the amp, not the DAC. Try a really neutral amp.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #6,783 of 7,138
I'm finding the fazor editions a little bass light. This is from my droid maxx to the magni on hi gain. This obviously isnt ideal and i am getting my dac this week. However i figured this would give me a good look at sound signature.

Can someone comment on this. A couple songs for reference: Fascination St by the cure and dirty boots by sonic youth. I believe the bass lines are supposed to drive these songs, but dont the way i hear them through this set up. Is this a matter of my phones dac, or just the way the lcd2 voices things.

Im just surprised because lcd3f out of my phone to a woo audio 7 seemed to have much more authoritative bass. However the principal should be the same, and graph wise, lcd2f bass goes deeper than lcd3f

The WA7 is going to add some tubeyness to whatever you're listening to, which is going to make the bass feel more warm and extended usually. The Magni is a rather bright amp and using a crappy phone DAC is just going to make that more apparent, so you're really in the worst of both worlds for bass there. If you had a better DAC and a more powerful and/or less bright amp, you'd notice the bass quite a bit more. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #6,784 of 7,138
  My LCD-2.2 has good bass but it is glaring with Conductor.
Is it due to the nature of Conductor DAC (sabre glare?)?

I actually haven't found that to be the case but yeah I mean Sabre is Sabre..

The different is faint. It's not huge and implementation and quality of components is much more important than a DAC chip choice. Burson makes good stuff.. could just be other stuff in the chain

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #6,785 of 7,138
The WA7 is going to add some tubeyness to whatever you're listening to, which is going to make the bass feel more warm and extended usually. The Magni is a rather bright amp and using a crappy phone DAC is just going to make that more apparent, so you're really in the worst of both worlds for bass there. If you had a better DAC and a more powerful and/or less bright amp, you'd notice the bass quite a bit more. 
my friend let me borrow his modi so i could decide whether i would keep the Audezes or not. I think the modi was a huge improvement. I think the problem was not so much the bass (although it still sounded hollow), but something about the midrange seemed glaring yet lifeless. For whatever reason, theyre much more enjoyable now, and i stayed up until nearly 530am the other night because i didnt want to stop listening to them. The midrange is incredible.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #6,789 of 7,138
posted this in the other LCD-2 thread, hope this isn't frowned upon ... this is the more correct topic though for this...

So I have a brand new pair of these coming in the mail tomorrow, I'm very excited but I'm a bit worried because I'm guessing I got the fazor version (since it's new). I've heard this lessens the warmth/darkness, which worries me. I've only tried a few high end headphones (all IEMs incidentally) before shelling out for this thing and it seems that my tastes tend much darker than what a lot of people seem to want (neutral). 

Anyone who has tried both, how big a difference is it? 

I'm seriously tempted to return the ones about to arrive and order some used non-fazor ones instead. 

A bit silly I guess since I haven't even tried it, but I absolutely do not enjoy the bright, borderline "tinny" sound at all, even if it comes with more detail etc.

Problem is I can't even find anywhere that sells old version :frowning2:

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #6,790 of 7,138
I also have the Fazor and a friend of mine has a 2.2 without fazors.
Did a quick compare.
Don't worry, it is still a "dark" headphone. The Fazors don't turns them into a Sennheiser HD800.
It still has the Audeze House-Sound.
The Fazor is more like a fine-tuning than a signature change.
Most people, like me, are satisfied with the fazor upgrade.
Looking at the graphs it says it has a little bass roll-off but to be honest i don't hear the difference to my friends pre-fazor.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #6,791 of 7,138

IMO, Blue Jeans is the best.  I have them for all my interconnects right now.  You could probably spend more on a cable, but I don't think it's worth it. YMMV

edit: unless you are talking about a cable for the headphones.  They don't make those.

They don't? How did I get one then?  :wink:

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #6,792 of 7,138
It's the amp, not the DAC. Try a really neutral amp.

Exactly. The LCD-Xs sound really good out of my iPhone or some other gadget, but the bass comes to life to a significant degree when I fire up the Meier amp. It puts out over 4wpc into the X and sounds amazing. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #6,793 of 7,138
Exactly. The LCD-Xs sound really good out of my iPhone or some other gadget, but the bass comes to life to a significant degree when I fire up the Meier amp. It puts out over 4wpc into the X and sounds amazing. 

4W per channel goes into the drivers? They only need 2Vrms/80mW, right? The LCD-2.2 non-Fazor sounds excellent with the O2 at custom unity gain with 2Vrms feed from a DAC.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #6,794 of 7,138
4W per channel goes into the drivers? They only need 2Vrms/80mW, right? The LCD-2.2 non-Fazor sounds excellent with the O2 at custom unity gain with 2Vrms feed from a DAC.

That's how much is on tap, but certainly I never even scratch the surface in terms of how much current it takes to drive them. That's just the capability of the Meier Corda Classic amp at that impedence. I just have found that higher current amps tend to really get them thumping vs driving them from a headphone jack or something. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,795 of 7,138
That's how much is on tap, but certainly I never even scratch the surface in terms of how much current it takes to drive them. That's just the capability of the Meier Corda Classic amp at that impedence. I just have found that higher current amps tend to really get them thumping vs driving them from a headphone jack or something. 

Gotta disagree. The additional thumping you hear is a result of the amp's intended SQ, not the additional current. In fact, if you try an amp with selectable gains, and assuming the least gain is more than sufficient for the HP's power/current requirements, you'll hear more treble, not bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back